Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:57:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256017 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

Charest wants a healthcare rebate.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/charest-demands-debate-on-unacceptable-federal-health-deal/article2304097/

Fletcher's temporarily on leave.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1116264--junior-transport-minister-steven-fletcher-takes-leave-for-medical-reasons
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »

PM rejects health innovation fund. Sheesh, these people get a longer leash and they complain. Then again, premiers always act that way no matter the party/PM in power.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/01/16/pol-premiers-monday.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »

Your opinions? I think the Grits aren't assured of recovery, but for now are on the path.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/canada/340364/un-parti-en-remission
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »

Radio interview with Lise St-Denis.

http://www.985fm.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=121620

For non-French speakers:

Host says no one voted for her or for the Liberal Party, just for Layton. Says she betrayed them. She said no, she cares about constituents, not betrayal but democracy. Host says she should ask her constituents directly what they think. She says that she's worked hard and she won't resign, and that they voted for her. Host says no, no one voted for her and she was hardly ever even there. The people voted NDP, not her, not the Liberals that placed in fourth, and not even eight months later, she bails. Is it honest? She says yes.

She endorsed Mulcair in November. She decided to switch to the Liberals in early December. Didn't change because of Mulcair. In between, she felt a lot of negativity (?). Says he has a doctrinaire attitude. She called Coderre, then Rae, they had talks but kept silent before her announcement.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »

Am I the only one who considers this whole floor-crossing a tempest in a teapot?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »

This one? I don't think so. But how many times has an NDP MP crossed the floor before?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »

The Dipper MP for Nunavut defected to the Grits in the early '80s. Though given that the Grits were then led by a social democrat, not a huge difference.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »

PM's interview w/Mansbridge.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/01/17/pol-harper-iran.html

Any bets as to who wins this one?

http://www.hilltimes.com/feature/politics/2012/01/17/the-fighter-starring-liberal-mp-trudeau-and-tory-senator-brazeau/29320
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »

Paul Wells promoted to Maclean's political editor. As a longtime subscriber I welcome the move...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/01/17/political-editor/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »

Talk about overkill. Sheesh, you'd think one of the vedettes defected from all this hysteria.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ndp-hits-back-at-quebec-defector-with-robo-calls-online-petition/article2305862/
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:22 PM »

When she said "NDP Attitudes" about certain things, the media was like "wha" but I know exactly what she means.

One small example is just after 9-11. I was on the PEI NDP executive, and they were discussing our reaction to the idea that the US might want to refuel airplanes going to and from Afghanistan on PEI.

I said that I didn't personally have a problem with that, but that I'd go along with what they agree, but that I don't think it's a big deal.

I just got cold stares from across the table. The President had to intervene as one of the other members looked like she was about to say something nasty.

Apparently, the debate was weather to protest loudly or even more loudly, because CLEARLY this idea HAS to be wrong. I got the feeling that just for disagreeing that somehow I was less of a man, that just for having this idea, that I MUST be stupid.

And that's just one incident on one issue.

That is why I left the NDP and still hate the NDP.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2012, 10:51:19 PM by RogueBeaver »

The '90s NDP was in decline for a reason, but the NDP Layton built is presumably free from that sort of dogmatism. You can still see that thing among PQ orthodoxes, who threw out every PQ leader except Parizeau for failing their purity test.

Grits aren't that dogmatic given their history as a brokerage party, but they also have their quirks. Especially the incredibly irksome "evidence-based" line. It's choir-preaching which doesn't do a thing to recapture Tim Hortons voters, even from people who know better like Rae, Dosanjh and Trudeau.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »

Don't bitch, fight back. We can take a few media punches.

http://www.hilltimes.com/news/politics/2012/01/17/third-party-advertising-spending-should-be-restricted-between-elections/29321

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »

The Dipper MP for Nunavut defected to the Grits in the early '80s. Though given that the Grits were then led by a social democrat, not a huge difference.

Dont forget Angela Vatour, who switched to the PCs in the late 90s.

But, there have been a small number to switch our way. I know Alex Cullen crossed the floor in the Ontario Assembly from Lib to NDP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »

That's awesome, I hope it worked.

As for the NDP being so domatic. Well sure, it's a party of ideology. So are the Tories. If you hate ideology, then vote Liberal. I'm very ideological, and while I don't agree with the NDP on everything, I can at least know that with the NDP, they would stand up for what they believe in (which for the most part, is the same as me). The Liberals on the other hand would waver too and fro, supporting some of the things I like but some things I hate.

Look at McGuinty... he was more pragmatic when it came to raising the minimum wage, which I think was better than the NDP's approach. But then he did stupid stuff like implement doggy-genocide with the pitbull ban. Of course, there are other examples, but for some reason that's what I'm most reminded of.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:06 AM »

All the Liberal meetings I've been to were about strategy, sales, marketing, "how to win".

The one Conservative meeting I went to was very wide-ranging, focusing on what policies that would sell in the riding, selling strategies, and fundraising opportunities.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

No bets on the prizefight?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

All the Liberal meetings I've been to were about strategy, sales, marketing, "how to win".

The one Conservative meeting I went to was very wide-ranging, focusing on what policies that would sell in the riding, selling strategies, and fundraising opportunities.

Sounds like most NDP meetings I've been to. I bet the NDP in PEI is very different than the rest of the country.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »

I'm not sure you catch what I mean. The NDP did talk about how to sell their ideas, but there was always this atmosphere of "because our policies will truly do good"
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »

... so people in Conservative and Liberal meetings don't believe their policies will do good? Then why advocate for them?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

... so people in Conservative and Liberal meetings don't believe their policies will do good? Then why advocate for them?
They believe that THEY can do good.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »

NDP believe that their policies do good, but Liberals and Conservatives believe that they, as persons, do good?

I don't understand what you're saying, man.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »

Think Mother Teresa VS a Flower Child.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »

Harper and wife estranged?

Here is an article from last month about their Christmas card: http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politics/news/2011/12/13/spot-error-christmas-card

Apparently there is a rumour that Laureen is had a lesbian affair with an RCMP officer: http://thepinkelephant.ca/archives/8018

I don't know if that's true of course (it's a rumour), but I don't disbelieve it. Like the article says, Canadian media don't have the same courage to break a story like this than in the US.  Americans get wienergate, but in Canada we get rumours spread on the grape vine. (The same goes for the sexuality of a couple of politicians like John Baird and our mayor, Jim Watson)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »

there is a rumour that Laureen is had a lesbian affair with an RCMP officer

I laughed so hard at reading this that I needed to use my asthma puffer just to be able to breathe properly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies