"Never give in".... President John McCain Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  "Never give in".... President John McCain Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: "Never give in".... President John McCain Timeline  (Read 17280 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 01:08:12 AM »

I don't think it'll be quite as close as last time.  Here's to a Republican landslide!
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »

I don't think it'll be quite as close as last time.  Here's to a Republican landslide!

I'll drink to that. Can't wait to see the Cabinet Choices and response to 9/11. In regards to the latter, it can't be stopped.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2012, 10:14:04 PM by Jerseyrules »

I don't think it'll be quite as close as last time.  Here's to a Republican landslide!

I'll drink to that. Can't wait to see the Cabinet Choices and response to 9/11. In regards to the latter, it can't be stopped.

Yes it can, by preventing the recklessness that was not responding to the August memo.  Wink.  Anyhow, I'm also interested in cabinet and hope to see either Ferraro (overcoming all odds) or Rudy win the NY senate seat.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

I'm looking forward to the general campaign season post. I'm also looking forward to the final polling before Election Day. Are the polls gonna be high for McCain clarence? And have you figured out picks for Cabinet Posts in a McCain Administration?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »

I will post to the general election tonight- the October surprise is an actual historical event that did not render quite the signiifcance I would have expected on the actual 2000 race...and I believe McCain would have made it a far bigger issue considering his own past. The way I believe McCain would have dealt with it would have changed the last decade of world history completely...
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »

I wonder if the 'October Surprise' ITTL is the USS Cole bombing. Well, we'll see what happens tonight.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »

Looking forward to update!  Wink
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »

At the beginning of October the race shows a moderate McCain lead-

Gallup 10/1/00

52 McCain/Gramm
44 Gore/Shaheen

With Senator McCain above the 50% mark, Vice President Gore and his campaign team realize they need to change the game with the debates. Gore and his team- along with Governor Shaheen- prepare extensively for the debates. The first debate between Gore and McCain features domestic policy. In the debate, McCain attacks President Clinton's integrity and touts his maverick record on issues... Gore displays a deeper knowledge of domestic issues especially Social Security and is able to portay McCain's plans as dangerous to seniors. Polls show Gore as narrowly winning the first debate-

The Vice Presidential debate between Governor Shaheen and Senator Gramm is more one-sided with SEnator Gramm attacking Shaheen for her lack of national experience. In his words "Governor, I have great respect for you- but being the Governor of New Hampshire does not prepare you to be a heartbeat away from the most powerful job in the world." For her part- Shaheen appears relateable and charismatic and some critics accuse Gramm of being too insensitive towards her gender but polls nonetheless show Gramm as ahead

The Town Hall style debate between Vice President Gore and Senator McCain is far better for McCain...the town-hall style is what propelled him to a victory in New Hampshire which led to his nomination. He appears honest, relateable, and more of a "common man" then Gore, who seems reluctant to look directly at voters asking questions and focuses more on obscure policy planks then the effects they have on actual people. This debate takes place October 11, 2000- the next day, the world turns upside down...

On October 12, 2000- the USS Cole- a Navy destroyer- is bombed while docked in a port in Yemen. 17 sailors are killed while nearly forty others are severly injured. Islamic extremist terrorist organization Al Qaeda claims responsibility for the attack. Both candidates suspend their campaigns but it is Senator McCain whose actions become better remembered-

The retired Navy Captain- the son and grandson of Admirals- gives a solemn speech about his experience in the military- of the courage and strength of will that he saw, but also of the tragedy. He pledges to make the first priority of his Presidency the pursuit of t hose who committed this action. The Senator says "We did not expect nor did we invite this attack, but we will not shirk our responsibility to avenge the brave men who were killed. There is true evil in the world- but in my life I have never seen a time when good has not triumphed."

The debate a few days later was already slated to focus on foreign policy and McCain uses the opportunity to outline what he calls the McCain Doctrine: there is no distinction between terrorists and those who harbor them. He pledges to dismantle Al Qaeda and the Taliban regime and unite the world against terror and evil.

Gallup Poll- 10/20/00

57 McCain/Gramm
38 Gore/Shaheen
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »

Lieberman for SecState!
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »

Damn, I'm right on the money!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »

Go Mac!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »

In the weeks leading up to the election- Gore/Shaheen campaign chairman Bill Daley and campaign manager Donna Brazille see the writing on the wall. They urge Gore and Shaheen to focus on Tennesee and New Hampshire to avoid embarassing home state losses and preserve their political future. Word of this directive gets leaked prompting further embarrassment...

Meanwile- several prominent celebrities and even Congressman Dennis Kucinich publicly endorse Green Party candidate Ralph Nader. Kucinich says "Al Gore isn't going to win so let's vote for some one who would really change this country and send a message to the Democrats that we need to nominate a true progressive in 2004."

Senator McCain spends the final weeks of the campaign criticizing President Clinton for inaction towards the Taliban and Al Qaeda in response to the USS Cole bombing. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is working to diplomatically  pressure the Taliban to relinquish control of Afghanistan but polls show the American people see military action as the route to take in response to the attack on the Cole. This leads to a Meet the Press interview two days before the election where Senator Paul Wellstone says "If elected President, John McCain will take us to war on Day One. 'Remember the Cole' sounds an awful lot like 'Remember the Maine' to me, and in that case we may have gone to war because some of our own agents sabotaged the ship."

These comments cause major controversy- they force Gore to condemn them and separate himself from Wellstone. In his final rally November 6 in Nashville, Gore pleads once more with voters. "The odds are long but our cause remains just. These past few years have had bumps in the road but so much progress has been made. Give me and Jeanne Shaheen another four and watch what we can all achieve together for our nation."

John McCain's final rally in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania is attended by nearly 100,000 people to see the next President. HE doesn't mention his opponent or President Clinton. Instead- he focuses forward. "I have spent my life fighting for America because she has given me so much more then I have given her. Tomorrow- if I am elected President- I commit to you that I will work every day to earn the honor you have bestowed upon me- the honor of leading this nation to a better, stronger, and safer future."

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »

I will post the results tonight...

Exit polls show voters valuing integrity, strong leadership and concerned most about national security and foreign policy.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »

I love this TL!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »

Thank you MRX... results coming shortly
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »

UR Welcome.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

Just a note- I did not want the map too complicated so I did not include shades or congressional districts... it will show the states and the result. I will post the results for President and then speeches followed by some Congressional results

Also- total voters in the 2000 election-

Total Voters- 105,347,141
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 09:40:18 PM »

BTW, Plane Crash or Not, with the comments that Wellstone made, he shot himself in the foot and his seat is going Republican in 2002.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »

MCCAIN ELECTED PRESIDENT
2000 Presidential Election Results

ELECTORAL VOTE
John S. McCain III- 441
Albert A. Gore, Jr.- 97

POPULAR VOTE
John S. McCain III / W. Philip Gramm- 55.77% / 58,752,101
Albert A. Gore, Jr. / C. Jeanne Shaheen- 39.28% / 41,380,357
Ralph Nader / Winona LaDuke- 3.93% / 4,140,143

John McCain- The 43rd President of the United States

Phil Gramm- The 46th Vice President of the United States
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

Yay! (though I'm a bit doubtful of Maryland)
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2012, 09:57:58 PM by MRX »

No offense, but the electoral college result seems a little implausible. I thought it would be something more like 294-246 or 304-236 (The first one, you take the OTL Electoral Results for Bush, and add on New Mexico, Iowa, and Wisconsin. The second one, you add Minnesota, whose voters are probably angry at Wellstone for his remarks). But with the Governor of New Hampshire as Gore's running mate, then things get interesting (NH could go either way).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »

I took the swing in the popular vote and applied it to the states- Maryland and many other states were VERY close... in some of those states a stronger Nader would also make the difference- he is over 1% above where he was

And MRX- Obama vs McCain had a larger margin then that and that was 53-46 in the popular vote... this is 56-39
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »

By the way- in some states I swung more or less...and some I excluded such as Tennessee and NH which both went for Bush but I had Gore and Shaheen campaigning there the last week
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »

YEAH!
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »

Any chance we'll be getting a cabinet list next?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies