South Park Republicans and the future of the Republican party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:58:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  South Park Republicans and the future of the Republican party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: South Park Republicans and the future of the Republican party  (Read 7281 times)
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:45:40 PM »
« edited: January 07, 2012, 03:47:59 PM by DFL »

"South Park Republican" was a term that first circulated in blogs and articles on the Internet between the years circa 2001 and 2002, used to describe what some modern commentators describe as a "new wave" or generation of young adults and teenagers who hold center-right political beliefs that are, in general, aligned with those portrayed in the popular American animated television program South Park.

The phrase was coined by commentator Andrew Sullivan in 2001. South Park co-creator Trey Parker is actually a registered member of the Libertarian Party. Fellow co-creator Matt Stone sums up their views with the comment "I hate conservatives, but I really ing hate liberals."
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

They pretty much sound like the typical Paultard.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »

The Paultards are for the most part South Park Republican
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »

I would beg to differ. Many younger evangelicals also back Ron Paul.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »

Also the "Howard Stern Republicans" block.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/02/26/17519/-Courting-Howard-Stern-Republicans

You all know the type. You may have gone to college with them. They listen to "Howard Stern," maybe watch South Park, have a unique appreciation for politically incorrect humor. They don't much care for taxes, but they're not particularly religious either. Maybe they listen to Emimem, but they may also like new school country, and classic rock. They like their movies gory, with a little bit of tits and ass here and there. They're probably white, they like making money, they like sex, and they're probably under the age of forty but over the age of twenty. They are I think in many ways the mainstream of my generation, which is to say generation "X". Those who were old enough to vote in the 80s (if they did in fact vote) probably voted for Reagan, and then George Bush Sr, but almost exclusively on economic grounds, and because they thought Democrats were wussies. They also may have voted for Bill Clinton, but only if they were convinced that he wasn't a wuss. They tend to be, in a word libertarian, and I have little doubt that there is far more fertile ground for Democratic recruitment among them now than among their older counterparts, "Nascar dads." "Howard Stern Republicans" or (if you prefer) "South Park Republicans" (the latter is actually a term I've seen elsewhere) may like the macho cowboy swagger of George W Bush, but they no doubt find his pandering to the religious right chilling and every bit as offensive as left-wing political correctness. The smartest ones, like their spiritual mentor Mr. Stern himself, see in Stern's suspension yesterday by Clear Channel a path that leads through the Bible Belt and up Pennsylvania Avenue. Now that the Republican Party has clearly signalled that it tends for it's cultural demagoguery to be more than rhetoric, this demographic can I believe be courted. Stern himself has announced that he intends to vote for John Kerry.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2012, 08:48:51 PM by DFL »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/02/26/17519/-Courting-Howard-Stern-Republicans

You all know the type. You may have gone to college with them. They listen to "Howard Stern," maybe watch South Park, have a unique appreciation for politically incorrect humor. They don't much care for taxes, but they're not particularly religious either. Maybe they listen to Emimem, but they may also like new school country, and classic rock. They like their movies gory, with a little bit of tits and ass here and there. They're probably white, they like making money, they like sex, and they're probably under the age of forty but over the age of twenty. They are I think in many ways the mainstream of my generation, which is to say generation "X". Those who were old enough to vote in the 80s (if they did in fact vote) probably voted for Reagan, and then George Bush Sr, but almost exclusively on economic grounds, and because they thought Democrats were wussies. They also may have voted for Bill Clinton, but only if they were convinced that he wasn't a wuss. They tend to be, in a word libertarian, and I have little doubt that there is far more fertile ground for Democratic recruitment among them now than among their older counterparts, "Nascar dads." "Howard Stern Republicans" or (if you prefer) "South Park Republicans" (the latter is actually a term I've seen elsewhere) may like the macho cowboy swagger of George W Bush, but they no doubt find his pandering to the religious right chilling and every bit as offensive as left-wing political correctness. The smartest ones, like their spiritual mentor Mr. Stern himself, see in Stern's suspension yesterday by Clear Channel a path that leads through the Bible Belt and up Pennsylvania Avenue. Now that the Republican Party has clearly signalled that it tends for it's cultural demagoguery to be more than rhetoric, this demographic can I believe be courted. Stern himself has announced that he intends to vote for John Kerry.
The Democrat equivalent is the Bill Maher Democrat( opebo, Flyers)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

The Democrat equivalent is the Bill Maher Democrat( opebo, Flyers)

opebo?  A Bill Maher Democrat?  lolwut?
I thought he was just certifiably insane!

Flyers makes perfect sense.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »

yep Tucker Max pretty much sums up this demographic although I don't know what his political views are (if any).
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »

yep Tucker Max pretty much sums up this demographic although I don't know what his political views are (if any).

He's pro-choice according to the books, but to me, he seems much more like a Democrat (or at least an Independent) rather than a Republican.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »

Libertarianism is center-right?  wat

Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »

Who in this thread actually say that?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 08:10:23 AM »

I would beg to differ. Many younger evangelicals also back Ron Paul.

It's Dr. Paul. Learn some respect.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »

Well, you think that South Park is right-wing, when Trey Parker is a libertarian and they have consistently supported libertarian ideology.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »

Well, you think that South Park is right-wing, when Trey Parker is a libertarian and they have consistently supported libertarian ideology.

Your thinking of BRTD. I've always said that South Park was libertarian in it's political ideology that is presented on the show.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »

Also the Kos writer forgot to include heavy metal and hip hop fans in with the Howard Stern Republicans. There good amount of people that listen to Stern also listen to the above genres since there both popular among the white male demographic that are die hard Stern fans.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »

Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »

I guess the entire Middle to Professional Class White Stud idiom describes this group that ranges politically from Dennis Miller to Bill Maher. This is perhaps America's new swing vote, with Soccer Moms, suburbanites and others like that.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 11:47:18 PM by DFL »

This is perhaps America's new swing vote, with Soccer Moms, suburbanites and others like that.

I think they are the group some politician would have to count their votes on for election time. Also they tend to be mostly living in the suburbs so they are also in the suburbanites category.  They just need a candidate that appeals to the more off "angry white male" aka the Ross Perot, Jesse Ventura, Howard Dean, Arnold crowd and less so the other AHM crowd that is the Republican base of supporters.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 11:43:34 PM »

My goodness everyone from my dorm floor sounds like the South Park Republican type. Simply cause they fear taxes, feel the Dems arent agressive foriegn policy wise but then find Obama too interventionist.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »

This is perhaps America's new swing vote, with Soccer Moms, suburbanites and others like that.

I think they are the group some politician would have to count their votes on for election time. Also they tend to be mostly living in the suburbs so they are also in the suburbanites category.  They just need a candidate that appeals to the more off "angry white male" aka the Ross Perot, Jesse Ventura, Howard Dean, Arnold crowd and less so the other AHM crowd that is the Republican base of supporters.

So, the Jesse Venturas, Ross Perots, Howard Deans, Schwarzeneggars are the new, secular moderate to liberal versions of your Ronald Reagans, Rick Perrys and George W. Bushes.
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »

Maher/Stern v Parker/Stone (no thrid parties)

Two Jewish running mates make Florida, Arizona and New York competitive, but Stern proves the greater Jew and carries two of those. Since religion plays no part in the candidacies of two atheists. I also thought Maher would win over German-Americans and squeaker clean (Mormon) dogooders in the Intramontane region.
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »

Here's what a pussy win looks like
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »

Dead tie 68 EV numbers
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2012, 08:39:44 AM by freefair »

The good thing about Parker/Stone, Maher/Stern , and Penn/Teller (though the last 2 are Libertarian party members) is that they call bullsh**t on all sides of the debate.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:08 AM »

The good thing about Parker/Stone, Maher/Stern , and Penn/Teller (the last 2 are Libertarian party members) is that they call bullsh**t on all sides of the debate.

Add Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert and we got the perfect list for the men who sees bulls**t on all sides.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies