AH.com
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:51:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  AH.com
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: AH.com  (Read 7709 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 12:48:08 AM »

As a member of both forums, this little "rage at AH.com" thread makes me laugh so hard my jaw hurts. I mean seriously, either side accusing the other of being "stuck-up" is absolutely hilarious. I would advise everybody involved to get over themselves. Ian's forum is Ian's forum, and though he's obviously biased and a bit tyrannical, he has good reasons to be so (would you want gigantic flame wars between pedantic history nerds over folks like Enoch Powell?). Plus, he's got about a decade of experience in being an Admin, so honestly I trust his judgement in most AH.com matters.

Still, I can see where the AH exiles are coming from. Ian does tend to rule with more of a fist of iron then most mods, and he is a bit paranoid in trying to prevent flame wars. Additionally, he tends to have more animosity towards religious folks (especially conservative religious folks) then the other members.

So I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle (cue South Park), though I'm a bit more biased towards Ian's point of view, having witnessed a lot of AH.cpm flame wars that could have been prevented by an early ban or kick by a mod.

Again, I think both the exiles/Atlas regulars and the AH.commers are taking this way too seriously.

Side note, when are you going to update An Era of Limits, oakvale? It's one of the best Post-1900 timelines on the site!

At this rate, probably sometime in 2016. Sad

I had most of a large-ish update written a month or so ago, but suffered a crisis of confidence and declined to post it. I recommend bumping the thread - that, usually, eventually, guilts me into putting something up. Sorry!
Perun17
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 05:38:05 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2012, 05:41:54 AM by Perun17 »

I have been In many forums but AH.com Is one of the most opressive forums I have ever seen.

Producing statistics on Immigration? Scientific Racism - you are banned!

Beeing of the opinion that Communist crimes equal Nazi crimes? Nazi Relativizer - your are banned!

Beeing against left wing? You are a right wing extremist- you are banned!

AH. com is the perfect example of a left wing communist censorship site that banns all people
with some brains that are against the party line.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »

I have been In many forums but AH.com Is one of the most opressive forums I have ever seen.

Beeing of the opinion that Communist crimes equal Nazi crimes? Nazi Relativizer - your are banned!

AH. com is the perfect example of a left wing communist censorship site that banns all people

They are not too keen on bad grammar either.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »

Aurora Advanced Healthcare ?

Why would I post at this site ?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »

You do realize that some of the most popular and well-regarded members on AH.com are the libertarian crowd, right? And most of them haven't been banned. In fact, even as a leftist member myself, I would say that the libertarians and vaguely center-right folks are better political timeline writers than the leftist crowd are.

Also, I've only seen people get banned for posting immigration statistics when the source is something like Stormfront. Let me guess, you were a AH.com member and tried to use a white nationalist source for immigration statistics? Not saying you are one, but if you used those specific sources for statistics, that's basically a bannable offense.

The Communist thing is patently untrue; no one has been banned for saying that the Soviets were worse than the Nazis. The only time I've seen that that subject has led to bannings is when person attacks and Nazi apologism gets involved.

To insist that AH.com is a leftist communist censorship site is laughable; it might have a clear leftist bias, but it's not some tyrannical dictatorship (though as I said before, Ian errs on the side of paranoia sometimes).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »

The poster "Caliboy1990" annoys me. Any DBWI thread regarding a Republican presidency, he ruins by coming in and says "What are you retards talking about"? and goes on to make up a whole bunch of problems that contradict all the previous posts.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »

Forgive the "necro" that would get me banned on AH.com, but I just read some of the political comments on that forum, and I appreciate this forum more than ever now. What a bunch of pretentious pricks. Hashemite was 100% right about them thinking it is a Mensa forum or something.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2013, 03:15:17 AM »

Just saw this and LOL
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »

Forgive the "necro" that would get me banned on AH.com, but I just read some of the political comments on that forum, and I appreciate this forum more than ever now. What a bunch of pretentious pricks. Hashemite was 100% right about them thinking it is a Mensa forum or something.

Here's Ian the admin's latest ban

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

*Sigh*
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »

I post there, but I try to simply stick with TLs that I have an interest in as well as working on my own, currently The Birth, Life and Rise of the SDP.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 07:09:01 PM »

I post there (under the name Vosem), not particularly much, though I lurk a lot. There's a couple of timelines there I follow religiously -- Zhirinovsky's Empire is amazing; Fear, Loathing, and Gumbo '72 is amazing; Look to the West, in spite of its absolute doorstopper status (I really have no idea how you could start reading it), is also amazing and really great to get into. But, yeah, Ian tends to be of the belief that if you disagree you shouldn't be allowed to post. Which, predictably, results in a lot of people who might've written great Alt-Hist being scared away from the forum. But the genre will live on, sh**t happens. (I would really recommend you all go read one of the first two -- like, right now).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »

I post there (under the name Vosem), not particularly much, though I lurk a lot. There's a couple of timelines there I follow religiously -- Zhirinovsky's Empire is amazing; Fear, Loathing, and Gumbo '72 is amazing; Look to the West, in spite of its absolute doorstopper status (I really have no idea how you could start reading it), is also amazing and really great to get into. But, yeah, Ian tends to be of the belief that if you disagree you shouldn't be allowed to post. Which, predictably, results in a lot of people who might've written great Alt-Hist being scared away from the forum. But the genre will live on, sh**t happens. (I would really recommend you all go read one of the first two -- like, right now).
I love both timelines. Rumsfeldia/Gumbo is by far the best on that forum, and Zhirinovsky's Empire is a close second. I can't wait for Drew's next update on Rumsfeldia (which should be coming up soon).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »

I'm active there too, as fellow AHers here know. But not nearly as much as I used to be and now I mostly lurk.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »

I got temporarily banned over there because this German guy was posting about how he doesn't like America because of its history of starting unjustified wars, and I responded "Is it fair for a German to say this?"
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »

I got temporarily banned over there because this German guy was posting about how he doesn't like America because of its history of starting unjustified wars, and I responded "Is it fair for a German to say this?"

I think that would earn you a place in the Sulphur Mine here Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »

I used to be rather active, but now the place has literally become a bunch of multi-colored lists, circle-jerk interactive timelines, and political chat with no dose of reality (WHEN THE REVOLUTION COMES, WE WILL ELECT ALISON GRIMES PRESIDENT!!!!111one1!) or substance. It's like RevLeft but even more functionally inept.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »

The main reason I refuse to post there any more is because of the time limit (IIRC it's a month or so) on post editing, which is absurd and stifling - it's an unbelievably wrongheaded policy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

The main reason I refuse to post there any more is because of the time limit (IIRC it's a month or so) on post editing, which is absurd and stifling - it's an unbelievably wrongheaded policy.

Quite. Finding out you made errors several months later--or even more than a month later--is apparently an unforgivable offense and you're stuck with the crap you originally put up.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

Quite. Finding out you made errors several months later--or even more than a month later--is apparently an unforgivable offense and you're stuck with the crap you originally put up.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't go as far as to say "I refuse to post there" since I still do occasionally but it's a major grievance.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »

I used to be rather active, but now the place has literally become a bunch of multi-colored lists, circle-jerk interactive timelines, and political chat with no dose of reality (WHEN THE REVOLUTION COMES, WE WILL ELECT ALISON GRIMES PRESIDENT!!!!111one1!) or substance. It's like RevLeft but even more functionally inept.
Careful, if Ian finds out you posted this, you will be banned.....
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies