Comeback kid Sarkozy ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:29:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Comeback kid Sarkozy ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comeback kid Sarkozy ?  (Read 7398 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: January 10, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »

Ah but the thing is that I don't even like the idea of full European integration in theory. The fact that the EU is an authoritarian, undemocratic institution now only makes my opposition more practicle.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:39:56 AM »

Ah but the thing is that I don't even like the idea of full European integration in theory. The fact that the EU is an authoritarian, undemocratic institution now only makes my opposition more practicle.

OK, I see... It's only a pretext.

No, not a pretext. I don't like the idea of centralizing power in Europe.

Things are made worse by the current state of the European Union, that's what I'm saying. That makes it even more unacceptable to me than the idea in theory.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:13:34 AM »

Franzl, I'd be interested in knowing why you consider European integration theoretically undesirable.

Integration was perhaps not the right word to use. I mean: I'm fully in support of allowing free trade within the European community....I'm in favor of allowing citizens of member states to live and work throughout the Union....I'm in favor of allowing citizens of member states to go to universities throughout the Union, and so on.

I draw the line at giving up my country's sovereign power. I don't see anything desirable about centralizing power at a federal European level. Quite the contrary, allowing individual countries to compete with each other has always been something I've considered beneficial.

And of course the Euro was always a bad idea without said political union. Countries were drawn into it quickly without fully considering the consequences. And unfortunately, it's possibly too late now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:17:13 AM »

Within the context of Ireland, I would have to say that the best thing about the EU is that takes away and reduces a country's sovereign power.

Isn't everyone free to leave Ireland if they're totally and completely unsatisfied? (Not that I expect normal people to actually do it...but the possibility is there.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies