2012 Elections in Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:42:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 Elections in Germany
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29
Author Topic: 2012 Elections in Germany  (Read 113981 times)
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:04 AM »

There is also a new poll for Saarland by Emnid:

SPD 36%
CDU 36%
Greens 5%
FDP 2%
Linke 15%
Pirates 4%

So, either a Red-Red coalition or a Grand coalition.
DL
Canada

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »

Remarkable in all these surveys how the FDP is just getting demolished and falling into low single digits in state after state after state...can they even survive as a party or could they just end up folding - esp. if they end up with almost no elected officials and no party funding?

I suppose this was about to expected in Saarland.
I think they will survive, btw. It's not the first time their results are bad. From 1996 to 2000 they were only represented in four regional parliaments. (Results 1997-1999: Bayern 1,7%, Berlin 2.2%, Brandenburg 1.9%, Bremen 2.5%, Hamburg 3.5%, Hessen 5.1%, Mecklenburg-V. 1.6%, Niedersachsen 4.9%, Saarland 2.6%, Sachsen 1.1%, Sachsen-A. 4.2%, Thüringen 1.1%). As you see these results were awful. They also had a hard time in the mid-1980s. It's not easy to start from scratch, but they will come back.

It's never been clear to me what the FDP's raisin d'être is. How different are they from several factions within the CDU? It's true that they might have survived bad state election results in the past but they have never been bounced out of the Bundestag at the national level. If that happened it might be game over for them.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »

I think that one of dumbest thing FDP ever made was choosing to boycott alliances with SPD. Greens has a appeal to be different of SPD, while FDP has not. I think that a trafic-light coalition in 2005 could be bad for FDP in short-run, but not in the long-run, as they could be able to attract no-enviromentalist moderate left voters that are going now to the Pirates.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2012, 03:51:05 PM by jeron »

Remarkable in all these surveys how the FDP is just getting demolished and falling into low single digits in state after state after state...can they even survive as a party or could they just end up folding - esp. if they end up with almost no elected officials and no party funding?

I think they will survive, btw. It's not the first time their results are bad. From 1996 to 2000 they were only represented in four regional parliaments. (Results 1997-1999: Bayern 1,7%, Berlin 2.2%, Brandenburg 1.9%, Bremen 2.5%, Hamburg 3.5%, Hessen 5.1%, Mecklenburg-V. 1.6%, Niedersachsen 4.9%, Saarland 2.6%, Sachsen 1.1%, Sachsen-A. 4.2%, Thüringen 1.1%). As you see these results were awful. They also had a hard time in the mid-1980s. It's not easy to start from scratch, but they will come back.

It's never been clear to me what the FDP's raisin d'être is. How different are they from several factions within the CDU? It's true that they might have survived bad state election results in the past but they have never been bounced out of the Bundestag at the national level. If that happened it might be game over for them.

I don't that think that there are real liberals within the CDU. There are CDU members that are politically close to the more conservative FDP members. However, as a liberal party FDP focuses more on the individual, while CDU emphasises family values and society as a whole.

RedPrometheus

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 06:31:21 AM »

I don't that think that there are real liberals within the CDU. There are CDU members that are politically close to the more conservative FDP members. However, as a liberal party FDP focuses more on the individual, while CDU emphasises family values and society as a whole.

Historically the CDU and especially the CSU were christian Parties. Adenauer intended the CDU to bring together Lutherans and Catholics into one party and win political majorities with this.

I don't believe that today this christian heritage is very much evident in day-to-day politics, but I'm always surprised how Christian and conservative members of the CDU's youth wing are.

The FDP was founded as a successor  of the liberal parties from the Weimar Republic and thus didn't have this Christian connection.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »

Well, in terms of voting patterns, the early FDP had a clear Protestant connection... like Weimar's liberals.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »

Forsa poll for Berlin:

29% SPD
22% CDU
16% Greens
14% Pirates
10% Left
  0% FDP (lol)
  9% Others

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/landtage/berlin.htm

Looks like the FDP has ceased to exist in Berlin ... Tongue
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »

Forsa poll for Berlin:

29% SPD
22% CDU
16% Greens
14% Pirates
10% Left
  0% FDP (lol)
  9% Others

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/landtage/berlin.htm

Looks like the FDP has ceased to exist in Berlin ... Tongue

Fast Drei Zwei Einem Prozent?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:45 AM »

So, another presidential election within the next 30 days.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 06:10:53 AM »

Hilarious, innit. Slow attrition, you begin to think he won't have to go (though I was certain, as of a couple of days ago, that he would not run for reelection, no matter what), there's more, and one day he's just gone. Just like with Guttenberg.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 06:12:59 AM »

Merkel's said she wants a compromise candidate now. We'll see if anything comes off that. Wouldn't be surprised if that's just lipservice to what she thinks the people want.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 09:29:11 AM by RedPrometheus »

New poll from Schleswig-Holstein:

CDU: 33% (+1,5%)
SPD: 33% (+7,6)
FDP: 3% (-11,9%)
Greens: 16% (+3,6%)
Left: 3% (-3%)
SSW: 3% (-1,3%)
Pirates: 5% (+3,2%)

The numbers are compared with the last election results. So both a CDU-Green-coalition and a SPD-Green-coalition and of course a CDU-SPD-coalition are possible.

Direcht election of the Ministerpresident:

de Jager (CDU): 29 %
Albig (SPD): 45%
None of the above: 15%

ndr.de/regional/schleswig-holstein/wahlumfrage137.html
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

Candidates being vetted...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 04:18:02 PM by The Great Obamarama of 2012 »

CDU/CSU/FDP emergency meeting on presidential succession today.

Coalition+SPD/Green meeting tomorrow. The Left isn't invited. Let's see what the government has to offer the opposition. They're probably drafting the shortlist right now. Tongue

SPD and Greens have preemptively ruled out any member of the current Merkel cabinet. (Incumbent defence minister Thomas de Maiziere in particular has been considered a likely candidate... he's boring, but respected.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »

Broadly speaking, they are looking for a joachim gauck who is not called Joachim Gauck.

Though they might end up going with Gauck.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »

Broadly speaking, they are looking for a joachim gauck who is not called Joachim Gauck.

So, Marianne Birthler then. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »

Rumor has it that the Government settled on Andreas Voßkuhle (President of the Constitutional Court, originally nominated to the Court by the SPD but never a member) and he turned them down.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2012, 11:48:41 AM by The Great Obamarama of 2012 »

I've just read on tagesschau.de that Andreas Voßkuhle, Thomas de Maiziere, Klaus Töpfer, and Norbert Lammert all turned them down.

http://www.tagesschau.de/inland/wulffruecktrittreax106.html

Suppose we have to leave the office vacant then, huh? Or maybe the four aforementioned people just want to force the elevation of Gauck to the presidency. Tongue

Meanwhile, the expected Coalition+SPD/Green meeting has been pushed back again. First it was supposed to be postponed till sunday, now it's not even sure it will be held then. Instead, a third round of CDU/CSU/FDP talks are expected for tomorrow.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »

I thought the FDP is vetoing Töpfer? de Maizière just knows what's good for him, of course. Lammert would have been a good choice.

I want Heiner Geißler now. Grin
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »

At some point the office of President has to become more trouble than it's worth.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »

Lol, the Spiegel mentions our departing mayor Petra Roth as a potential contender. I could actually imagine that - purely representative duties is something she's very good at.

Time to look at the mayoral election campaign here then... eh. There is no campaign. Everybody is against airport noise and tries to avoid any other political statement whatsoever.
The Pirate poster campaign is like a parody of the other parties', climaxing in this beauty:

http://peteramende.de/grafik/piratenpartei-frankfurt-wahlkampf-plakate-2012/
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

What in particular has caused the FDP to crash so disastrously and for the Pirates to take their spot? Did the FDP get involved in baby-killing scandals or something?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

Did the FDP get involved in baby-killing scandals or something?

Nothing that showed ever so much integrity as that.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »

Frankfurt mayor Petra Roth vetoed by the FDP, just like Klaus Töpfer was. Apparently, the FDP is against any CDU politician who has a half-way positive opinion of the Greens (like Roth/Töpfer), because they're in fear of getting ditched as coalition partner by the CDU.

Former bishop Wolfgang Huber was considered something of a front-runner yesterday, but his chances are already dwindling again apparently.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 07:34:14 AM »

I'm for Gauck.

I understand Merkel's political reasons for not wanting him - but most voters wanted him then, and still want him now. I don't think it'd be all that harmful for her really to come out and more or less admit that she made a mistake last time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies