Santorum to kids of gay parents: You'd be better off with a dad in jail
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:36:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum to kids of gay parents: You'd be better off with a dad in jail
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Santorum to kids of gay parents: You'd be better off with a dad in jail  (Read 13225 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »

Clearly Santorum's a good guy:

He's the closest thing to a communitarian running.

I'm a communitarian, and I don't support Santorum.

^
realisticidealist is being highly naive on this.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »

Liberals are so open-minded and tolerant until they find out there are different ideas than their own.

I have been neither vulgar nor inappropriate. If you want vulgar and inappropriate on this subject matter, try having this conversation with African-American Democrats in Detroit.

I consider you claiming that I will never be accepted in society (without any real evidence or convincing testament), and that implying that I should move to New York, San Francisco, or some other "sanctuary city" if I want to be accepted, sort of inappropriate and vulgar on your part.

The way I see it, and I certainly do not like this, negroes will always be treated as second-class except where they are most heavily concentrated. That's why I suggested that perhaps relations would be better if things reverted to the way they were before slavery where most blacks either kept a low-profile or moved to Africa.

We could do this all day.

I support gay marriage. The leader of the Democratic Party, your party, does not. Furthermore, gay marriage is more staunchly opposed by African-American Democrats than any other group in America. Why is that?

Interesting how a supporter of gay marriage would use such strong, pro-segregation rhetoric, then.  And this...

It is likely because African-American Democrats are generally very religious and therefore are probably pretty socially conservative.

You realize that African-Americans don't have to agree to gay marriage for it to be a similar issue, right? ..Right?

...pretty much answers your question.  I don't think that statistic justifies it in any way.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2012, 08:00:42 PM by Support Dave! »

Liberals are so open-minded and tolerant until they find out there are different ideas than their own.

I have been neither vulgar nor inappropriate. If you want vulgar and inappropriate on this subject matter, try having this conversation with African-American Democrats in Detroit.

I consider you claiming that I will never be accepted in society (without any real evidence or convincing testament), and that implying that I should move to New York, San Francisco, or some other "sanctuary city" if I want to be accepted, sort of inappropriate and vulgar on your part.

The way I see it, and I certainly do not like this, negroes will always be treated as second-class except where they are most heavily concentrated. That's why I suggested that perhaps relations would be better if things reverted to the way they were before slavery where most blacks either kept a low-profile or moved to Africa.

I support gay marriage. The leader of the Democratic Party, your party, does not. Furthermore, gay marriage is more staunchly opposed by African-American Democrats than any other group in America. Why is that?

Then why are you doing this???

Supporting gay marriage =/= being fine with gay people.

Uh, unless you're some kind of rigid libertarian, which Politico is not, they kind of are synonymous.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »

You just might be the worst poster on this entire site. If you don't like bis, gays, and lesbians, please just come out and say it and stop doing this "Well I don't like it, but everyone hates gays" bullsh**t.

I have no problems whatsoever with homosexuals and I am not disclosing my personal sexual orientation on here, so you really have no idea whether or not I am even a homosexual. I thought it was self-evident that many other people have problems with homosexuals, exemplified by yet another anti-homosexual comment by Rick Santorum, so I tried giving an explanation as to why this is the case. I may very well be wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You do realize that if it was really a similar issue then the victims of segregation would most presumably be the first to rally to the cause, right?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »

Interesting how a supporter of gay marriage would use such strong, pro-segregation rhetoric, then.  And this...

It is likely because African-American Democrats are generally very religious and therefore are probably pretty socially conservative.

You realize that African-Americans don't have to agree to gay marriage for it to be a similar issue, right? ..Right?

...pretty much answers your question.  I don't think that statistic justifies it in any way.

Name some victims of segregation who have rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage. I do not see any African-Americans in the Democratic Party doing so. Why is that?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »

I don't want to live on this planet anymore if people really believe that social darwinist, biologically deterministic, hippy-dippy "we're all just animals" f-cking bullsh-t.

Just find out what makes you happy without hurting others, and don't worry about the rest of society. Never ever forget: We're not all on this together.

Right, we're not on it together, because we're in it together.

You just might be the worst poster on this entire site. If you don't like bis, gays, and lesbians, please just come out and say it and stop doing this "Well I don't like it, but everyone hates gays" bullsh**t.

I have no problems whatsoever with homosexuals and I am not disclosing my personal sexual orientation on here, so you really have no idea whether or not I am even a homosexual. I thought it was self-evident that many other people have problems with homosexuals, exemplified by yet another anti-homosexual comment by Rick Santorum, so I tried giving an explanation as to why this is the case. I may very well be wrong.

People who have no problems with homosexuals usually don't use the clinical term 'homosexual' exclusively. The one exception I know is a professor of mine who's from Germany and still has a thick-ish accent.

You do realize that if it was really a similar issue then the victims of segregation would most presumably be the first to rally to the cause, right?
[/quote]

Are you at all familiar with the history of the...fraught relationship between the Civil Rights movement and the women's movement? It started with Frederick Douglass screwing over the Seneca Falls ladies and went from there. In both directions, actually.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »

That's why I suggested that perhaps relations would be better if things reverted to the way they were in the late 1970s where most homosexuals either kept a low-profile or moved to San Francisco, New York or Los Angeles...

You do realise it wasn't like that back then.

It is called a generalization. Obviously San Francisco and Los Angeles were more open about things than those in New York.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »

Will homosexuals and heterosexuals at some point silently agree that things worked a lot better for both sides when open homosexuals stuck to San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York?

Fair or not, and I certainly have no problem with homosexuals or homosexuality unlike most folks I know, homosexuals will never be embraced by society at large to the degree they fantasize about. Unfortunately, they will always be treated as second-class except where they are heavily concentrated. The best they could have ever hoped for was having their own mecca in San Francisco. AIDS kind of prevented that, I guess.

So you would support rounding up all the gays and sending them to SF, LA and NYC? Maybe in nice little camps?

No, I would prefer homosexuals being openly accepted in society at large, but that is never going to happen

"Well, I have nothing against negroes, but integration is never going to happen"

I'm pretty sure you could take all of Politico's posts in this thread, change the context, and it'd be seamless.

If racial issues are identical to sexual issues, can you explain why support for even gay marriage is so low among African-American Democrats?

Because most African American Democrats are socially conservative and pretty much only agree with the Democrats on economics?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »

I have no problems whatsoever with homosexuals and I am not disclosing my personal sexual preferences on here, so you really have no idea whether or not I am even a homosexual. I thought it was self-evident that many other people have problems with homosexuals, exemplified by yet another anti-homosexual comment by Rick Santorum, so I tried giving an explanation as to why this is the case. I may very well be wrong.

You are wrong, evidence has been given to you in this thread (by Scott IIRC - he posted the Same Sex Marriage support graph) that contradicts your insane position.

Also, no, the victims of segregation would not necessarily be the first to rally around the cause. The religiousness of African Americans makes them the least likely Demographic to identify with the cause of the LGBT movement.

Interesting how a supporter of gay marriage would use such strong, pro-segregation rhetoric, then.  And this...

...pretty much answers your question.  I don't think that statistic justifies it in any way.

Name some victims of segregation who have rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage. I do not see any African-Americans in the Democratic Party doing so. Why is that?

BECAUSE AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE EXTREMELY RELIGIOUS WHICH MAKES THEM THE LEAST LIKELY TO SUPPORT A RELIGIOUSLY CHARGED ISSUE SUCH AS HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »

I'll have to be honest and say that if you've ever been a victim of segregation - and think the way you and Rick Santorum do - then that is hypocrisy at its finest, whether it's Jesse Jackson saying it or anyone else.  But the similarity of these issues is very simple: they involve opposing the right of someone to do something because of physical differences, like skin color or sexual orientation.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »

That's why I suggested that perhaps relations would be better if things reverted to the way they were in the late 1970s where most homosexuals either kept a low-profile or moved to San Francisco, New York or Los Angeles...

It is called a generalization.

You've certainly been making a great deal of those today.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »

It is called a generalization.

You've certainly been making a great deal of those today.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »

I don't want to live on this planet anymore if people really believe that social darwinist, biologically deterministic, hippy-dippy "we're all just animals" f-cking bullsh-t.

Just find out what makes you happy without hurting others, and don't worry about the rest of society. Never ever forget: We're not all on this together.

Obviously a typo, but you're either young or delusional if you think we're all in this together. That's not how the world really works.

I personally dislike the terms straight and gay. If I were being clinical, I'd be talking about men who have sex with men, for example.

And what is your explanation as to why there is an enormous schism between African-American Democrats and the LGBT community (There, I used "hip" lingo instead of homosexual)?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

Obviously a typo, but you're either young or delusional if you think we're all in this together. That's not how the world really works.

I personally dislike the terms straight and gay. If I were being clinical, I'd be talking about men who have sex with men, for example.

And what is your explanation as to why there is an enormous schism between African-American Democrats and the LGBT community (There, I used "hip" lingo instead of homosexual)?

Nevermind, you're the most hilarious poster on the forum.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »

Name some victims of segregation who have rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_Rustin
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »

This thread is now about ponies.

HST1948

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »

Well if you want an example of an African American Democrat who has trully rallied the cause of gay rights try Deval Patrick and Fmr Gov. David Patterson. If I recall Deval Patrick was among the first governors to support same sex marriage, and fought to protect Massachusetts same sex marriage law.  And David Patterson, although his proposal failed in the legislature, made making same sex marriage legal in NY a priority during his administration.

The reason why a majority of blacks take issue with homosexuality is because, generally, they tend to be one of the most religious groups of people in the country.  The group that has a problem with homosexuality is the extremely religious, not blacks.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »

You seriously didn't read every response did you?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »

I have no problems whatsoever with homosexuals and I am not disclosing my personal sexual preferences on here, so you really have no idea whether or not I am even a homosexual. I thought it was self-evident that many other people have problems with homosexuals, exemplified by yet another anti-homosexual comment by Rick Santorum, so I tried giving an explanation as to why this is the case. I may very well be wrong.

You are wrong, evidence has been given to you in this thread (by Scott IIRC - he posted the Same Sex Marriage support graph) that contradicts your insane position.

Also, no, the victims of segregation would not necessarily be the first to rally around the cause. The religiousness of African Americans makes them the least likely Demographic to identify with the cause of the LGBT movement.

BECAUSE AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE EXTREMELY RELIGIOUS WHICH MAKES THEM THE LEAST LIKELY TO SUPPORT A RELIGIOUSLY CHARGED ISSUE SUCH AS HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE.

Sounds like one side or the other is going to get hurt. Which side will the Democratic Party side with this decade?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »

Name some victims of segregation who have rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage.

Name more than one victim of segregation who has rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage, and was not a gay man himself, and did not die over a quarter century ago...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »

Sounds like one side or the other is going to get hurt. Which side will the Democratic Party side with this decade?

Are you implying that opposing gay marriage is a "black issue", or something?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

Name more than one victim of segregation who has rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage, and was not a gay man himself, and did not die over a quarter century ago...

lol
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »

I know it was a typo. I was just having some fun with your absurd old cynicism. If it's not how the world works then it's not us who are wrong, it's the world.

All right, whatever.

Because black culture in this country isn't currently amenable to LGBT issues. I really don't know why it needs to be complicated more than that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »

What is this, a trivia game?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »

Because there are so few and they're so elusive that we have to PROVE they exist.

Hurrrrr
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies