Santorum to kids of gay parents: You'd be better off with a dad in jail
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:28:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum to kids of gay parents: You'd be better off with a dad in jail
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Santorum to kids of gay parents: You'd be better off with a dad in jail  (Read 13250 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_%28U.S._politician%29

Okay, if you want to get technical about it.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »

Way to shoot the messenger, guys.

I'm a bit more optimistic than Politico but he's not entirely incorrect.  No need to be willfully ignorant about prevailing trends.

I'd have aspired for a bit more tact in the delivery, but whatevs...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »

You just might be the worst poster on this entire site. If you don't like bis, gays, and lesbians, please just come out and say it and stop doing this "Well I don't like it, but everyone hates gays" bullsh**t.

I have no problems whatsoever with homosexuals and I am not disclosing my personal sexual preferences on here, so you really have no idea whether or not I am even a homosexual. I thought it was self-evident that many other people have problems with homosexuals, exemplified by yet another anti-homosexual comment by Rick Santorum, so I tried giving an explanation as to why this is the case. I may very well be wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You do realize that if it was really a similar issue then the victims of segregation would most presumably be the first to rally to the cause, right?

You are wrong, evidence has been given to you in this thread (by Scott IIRC - he posted the Same Sex Marriage support graph) that contradicts your insane position.

Also, no, the victims of segregation would not necessarily be the first to rally around the cause. The religiousness of African Americans makes them the least likely Demographic to identify with the cause of the LGBT movement.

Liberals are so open-minded and tolerant until they find out there are different ideas than their own.

I have been neither vulgar nor inappropriate. If you want vulgar and inappropriate on this subject matter, try having this conversation with African-American Democrats in Detroit.

I consider you claiming that I will never be accepted in society (without any real evidence or convincing testament), and that implying that I should move to New York, San Francisco, or some other "sanctuary city" if I want to be accepted, sort of inappropriate and vulgar on your part.

The way I see it, and I certainly do not like this, negroes will always be treated as second-class except where they are most heavily concentrated. That's why I suggested that perhaps relations would be better if things reverted to the way they were before slavery where most blacks either kept a low-profile or moved to Africa.

We could do this all day.

I support gay marriage. The leader of the Democratic Party, your party, does not. Furthermore, gay marriage is more staunchly opposed by African-American Democrats than any other group in America. Why is that?

Interesting how a supporter of gay marriage would use such strong, pro-segregation rhetoric, then.  And this...

It is likely because African-American Democrats are generally very religious and therefore are probably pretty socially conservative.

You realize that African-Americans don't have to agree to gay marriage for it to be a similar issue, right? ..Right?

...pretty much answers your question.  I don't think that statistic justifies it in any way.

Name some victims of segregation who have rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage. I do not see any African-Americans in the Democratic Party doing so. Why is that?

BECAUSE AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE EXTREMELY RELIGIOUS WHICH MAKES THEM THE LEAST LIKELY TO SUPPORT A RELIGIOUSLY CHARGED ISSUE SUCH AS HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE.

Sounds like one side or the other is going to get hurt. Which side will the Democratic Party side with this decade?

Are you implying that opposing gay marriage is a "black issue", or something?

No, of course not. But I am glad you are confused because it just goes to show you what is going to happen in the Democratic Party once one of the two aforementioned sides is slighted to appease the other.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »

Liberals are so open-minded and tolerant until they find out there are different ideas than their own.

I have been neither vulgar nor inappropriate. If you want vulgar and inappropriate on this subject matter, try having this conversation with African-American Democrats in Detroit.

I consider you claiming that I will never be accepted in society (without any real evidence or convincing testament), and that implying that I should move to New York, San Francisco, or some other "sanctuary city" if I want to be accepted, sort of inappropriate and vulgar on your part.

The way I see it, and I certainly do not like this, negroes will always be treated as second-class except where they are most heavily concentrated. That's why I suggested that perhaps relations would be better if things reverted to the way they were before slavery where most blacks either kept a low-profile or moved to Africa.

I support gay marriage. The leader of the Democratic Party, your party, does not. Furthermore, gay marriage is more staunchly opposed by African-American Democrats than any other group in America. Why is that?

Interesting how a supporter of gay marriage would use such strong, pro-segregation rhetoric, then.  And this...

It is likely because African-American Democrats are generally very religious and therefore are probably pretty socially conservative.

You realize that African-Americans don't have to agree to gay marriage for it to be a similar issue, right? ..Right?

...pretty much answers your question.  I don't think that statistic justifies it in any way.

Name some victims of segregation who have rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_Rustin

Name more than one victim of segregation who has rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage, and was not a gay man himself, and did not die over a quarter century ago...

Because there are so few and they're so elusive that we have to PROVE they exist.

Hurrrrr

Well, you would think you could do better than one gay man who died over a quarter century ago.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »

But you need to name a black democrat who was beaten and abused, whose name starts with D... duh!
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »

So guys, anyone else pumped for The Dark Knight Rises?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »

John Lewis doesn't oppose gay marriage?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2012, 08:30:23 PM by Nathan »

Desmond Tutu. Barbara Jordan. Willie Brown. Off the top of my head.

John Lewis does NOT oppose gay marriage. He has consistently voted in favor of LGBT causes in Congress since at least 2004.

I'm also not sure that this is an issue of such overweening importance to black people as you seem to think it is.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »

Name some victims of segregation who have rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage.

Name more than one victim of segregation who has rallied to the cause of gay rights and gay marriage, and was not a gay man himself, and did not die over a quarter century ago...

Because there are so few and they're so elusive that we have to PROVE they exist.

Hurrrrr

Well, you would think you could do better than one gay man who died over a quarter century ago.

LOL BECAUSE ALL BLACK PEOPLE THINK ALIKE AND SO THERE'S NO BLACK PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS LOLOLOL
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »

Hurrrrr

LOL BECAUSE ALL BLACK PEOPLE THINK ALIKE AND SO THERE'S NO BLACK PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS LOLOLOL

And now we've come full circle!
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »

Oh god ten pages of this bullsht.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

John Lewis - editorial October 2003...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »

No.  And on that note, Democrats wouldn't just lose a bloc of voters on one issue, anyway.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »

Will homosexuals and heterosexuals at some point silently agree that things worked a lot better for both sides when open homosexuals stuck to San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York?

Yeah, the dark ages were cool. Certainly, gays have every reason to want to go back to being ghettoized because: _____?_____.

Fair or not, and I certainly have no problem with homosexuals or homosexuality unlike most folks I know, homosexuals will never be embraced by society at large to the degree they fantasize about. Unfortunately, they will always be treated as second-class except where they are heavily concentrated. The best they could have ever hoped for was having their own mecca in San Francisco. AIDS kind of prevented that, I guess.

We appreciate you telling us about the amazing new time travel invention you came up with, Time Traveller from 1985. But we won't hold you up here with our futuristic gobbledegook where gays are treated with respect as human beings -- you are needed back in your own era where everyone assumes all gays are dying of AIDS.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »

Hurrrrr

Some folks are actually offended that homosexuals compare their struggle to what African-Americans have gone through. After all, have there ever been homosexual slaves? (No, not the kind of slaves you find in San Francisco's Bathhouses). Furthermore, homosexuals have risen to high levels of society for a long time (e.g., Liberace, Roy Cohn, and probably a ton of historical figures if you want to go outside of recent American history).

I won't say another word. I'll just quote from The New York Times (Are you going to call it a right-wing rag now?):

In our world there are divisions and even tensions among minority groups, and the quest to legalize same-sex marriage — now permitted in six states and Washington, D.C. — has met particular resistance from African-Americans.

In 2008 Californians passed Proposition 8, which prohibited state recognition of same-sex marriage, with a 52 percent majority. Voting analyses suggest that between 58 and 70 percent of black voters backed the prohibition.

African-Americans were enslaved. And during their brutal struggle for justice, they couldn’t make a secret of what set them apart from others, said Henderson, who supports same-sex marriage, during a phone interview Friday.

When gay men and lesbians glide over such details, he said, it feels “inherently disrespectful to the black experience in this country.”

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/01/opinion/bruni-same-sex-marriage-and-blacks.html?_r=1

What happens when the Democratic Party either slights African-Americans in favor of homosexuals, or slights homosexuals in favor of African-Americans?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »

What else are they going to do, vote Republican?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »

What else are they going to do, vote Republican?

DING! winner!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

Hurrrrr

Some folks are actually offended that homosexuals compare their struggle to what African-Americans have gone through. After all, have there ever been homosexual slaves? (No, not the kind of slaves you find in San Francisco's Bathhouses). Furthermore, homosexuals have risen to high levels of society for a long time (e.g., Liberace, Roy Cohn, and probably a ton of historical figures if you want to go outside of recent American history).

I won't say another word. I'll just quote from The New York Times (Are you going to call it a right-wing rag now?):

In our world there are divisions and even tensions among minority groups, and the quest to legalize same-sex marriage — now permitted in six states and Washington, D.C. — has met particular resistance from African-Americans.

In 2008 Californians passed Proposition 8, which prohibited state recognition of same-sex marriage, with a 52 percent majority. Voting analyses suggest that between 58 and 70 percent of black voters backed the prohibition.

African-Americans were enslaved. And during their brutal struggle for justice, they couldn’t make a secret of what set them apart from others, said Henderson, who supports same-sex marriage, during a phone interview Friday.

When gay men and lesbians glide over such details, he said, it feels “inherently disrespectful to the black experience in this country.”

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/01/opinion/bruni-same-sex-marriage-and-blacks.html?_r=1

What happens when the Democratic Party either slights African-Americans in favor of homosexuals, or slights homosexuals in favor of African-Americans?

Hm.

Try reading some of the older replies in this thread for a response to that, son.  Because clearly you haven't been, since your points have been refuted fifty times, now.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »

Not vote at all would be the obvious answer.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »

That's practical.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »

sage
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2012, 08:44:29 PM »

yea
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »

OK. I cede the floor.

I sincerely apologize if I said anything that upset anybody. I can be a bit coarse and I have a terrible tendency to type thoughtlessly. I understand how sensitive of an issue this can be for some folks, but I am just calling it the way I see it even though I do not like the way I see it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »

Uh-huh. Can you give us any indication as to why they would do this on these particular grounds?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies