Atlasian Worker Defense Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:52:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Worker Defense Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian Worker Defense Act  (Read 3702 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: January 02, 2005, 06:58:18 AM »
« edited: January 02, 2005, 07:00:44 AM by Senator Gabu »

Does this mean that we're also going to be pulling out of talks over the Free Trade Area of the Americas?

At any rate, it may not be in Atlasia's short-term economic benefit to do this, in fact.  If anyone has benefitted (at least economically in the short term) from NAFTA, it's apparently Atlasia.  Having read into the effects of NAFTA, however, I'm tempted to vote in favor of this for a completely different reason than this bill's title implies: NAFTA isn't fair to everyone else.  From what I've read, it seems to be the case that while we're asking for penalties on other nations for breaking the terms of NAFTA, we're turning a blind eye to our own infractions, even when we're told to stop doing whatever it is we're doing.  In addition to that, our farmers' being subsidized, for example, is making our prices much lower than they should be, but under the terms of NAFTA, all signatories are required to sell our products at market value whether they want to or not, making domestic competition in those countries extremely difficult.

I want what's best for Atlasia, of course, but I feel that what we're currently doing is not what's best for Atlasia in the long run.  A competitive international market filled with mutual respect and consideration is essential for effective diplomacy and cooperation between nations, and, as far as I can tell, we could be doing more towards that end.

In examining other articles, there are other reasons to oppose NAFTA, as well.  I really don't like parts of its one-size-fits-all regulation policies, such as the requirement of limits on the safety and inspection of meat sold in grocery stores, new patent rules that apparently have raised medicine prices, and constraints on the government's ability to zone against sprawl or toxic industries, even if it feels that that's the best option.

I probably will support this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »

The question that I have is how those studies pin down those increases and benefits were pinned down to having been caused by NAFTA.  As one article I read said, there are many, many variables involved in international trade and economics.  It seems to me that it would be very easy for proponents of NAFTA to simply point to economic benefits occurring after the institution of NAFTA and say, "See?  NAFTA caused that."

Am I sure that that's what's going on here?  No, of course not.  It could well be that these people do have a way of measuring NAFTA's impact that I'm unaware of.  If anyone knows anything about where those figures came from, I would be more than happy to give that information serious consideration.  If NAFTA has indeed caused those economic benefits, then I'll shift my stance to undecided.  At this point, however, what seems to be the case is that NAFTA's downsides are certain, whereas its upsides are debatable, and that doesn't make me too confident about it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:05:57 PM »

A week hasn't passed yet, but if that's a motion to end debate early, I second it; it does not appear to be the case that anyone else has anything to say.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 05:45:45 PM »

This is scheduled for a vote tomorrrow, can you not wait that long? Tongue

NO I WANT A VOTE RIGHT NOWWWWWWW
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 07:08:21 PM »

Well, I've read some more and I'm now getting conflicting opinions on the NAFTA, and given that the actual agreement appears to be several hundred pages long, it would take way too long to sort through it to find out the truth.  I think I really should admit that I simply don't know enough about the NAFTA to make an informed decision and I don't want to make an uninformed vote, so...

Abstain.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies