Toronto 2013 by-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:16:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Toronto 2013 by-election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Toronto 2013 by-election  (Read 2030 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:52 AM »

True, but the NDP has also never gone into an election as the official opposition and "government in waiting" so they may start to attract a whole new category of potential star candidates.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »

True, but the NDP has also never gone into an election as the official opposition and "government in waiting" so they may start to attract a whole new category of potential star candidates.

They have in some provinces though. The "best candidates" I can think of are various artists or writers or minor actors. But, I can't think of any athletes.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 09:33:33 AM »

Mulcair teased over the summer that a lot of great and "unlikely" candidates have been approaching him about running federally. Whether or not that includes any famous people, however...
DL
Canada

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

They have in some provinces though. The "best candidates" I can think of are various artists or writers or minor actors. But, I can't think of any athletes.

I just thought of an example. Emery Barnes was longtime NDP member of the BC legislature and was speaker of the house in the 90s. He was born in New Orleans, then played football for the BC Lions before going into politics.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »

I just thought of an example. Emery Barnes was longtime NDP member of the BC legislature and was speaker of the house in the 90s. He was born in New Orleans, then played football for the BC Lions before going into politics.

Score. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you see it) His daughter Constance just lost the nomination in Van-False Creek for the NDP. she has a mixed bag and i think that hurt her chances, but she lost a very close race.

Anyway... "famous" doesn't always equal "star" candidates in terms of their quality. The NDP has very notable supporters and you saw many of them come out during the leadership races but many know they might not have the a) desire for power b) what it takes to be an MP/MPP/MLA.

Oh Laurier LaPierre was an NDP candidate... even though he ended up being a Liberal senator, he still ran as a NDPer in 68. So thats a "famous" guy i think

many of the names listed probably wouldn't run (Vaughan, Layton are still very city oriented and Vaughan might run got mayor too)... i didn't think Polley lived in TS. There are other less known figures who could run too like Karen Sun (ran against mike Layton for council).
I think Big Names are good to pull out in competitive ridings and TS (for now, arguably so) is generally an NDP riding.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »

Thanks for that. I was basically challenging everyone to come up with an NDP athlete. I am disappointed that it has only been one, but it's nice to see. Also nice to see an American football player staying in Canada and getting involved in the community. I know most football politicians are Canadian by birth. Of course, there's always those rumours of Pinball Clemons running for mayor of Toronto, but I don't think he's a Canadian citizen.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »

Thanks for that. I was basically challenging everyone to come up with an NDP athlete. I am disappointed that it has only been one, but it's nice to see. Also nice to see an American football player staying in Canada and getting involved in the community. I know most football politicians are Canadian by birth. Of course, there's always those rumours of Pinball Clemons running for mayor of Toronto, but I don't think he's a Canadian citizen.

Wikipedia clearly states he is only a permanent resident (but I suppose he is here since long enough to apply for citizenship if he wanted)
DL
Canada

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »

Let's not forget that at the federal NDP convention in Halifax in 2009 one of the key note speakers was Andrew Ference the defenceman for the Boston Bruins who has spoken out on climate change. He is originally from Edmonton so maybe when he hangs up his skates he can run in an Edmonton riding!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »

Let's not forget that at the federal NDP convention in Halifax in 2009 one of the key note speakers was Andrew Ference the defenceman for the Boston Bruins who has spoken out on climate change. He is originally from Edmonton so maybe when he hangs up his skates he can run in an Edmonton riding!

I remember that speech, I was there. I almost mentioned him in this thread. I don't think he'll run though. Remember when he gave the finger to the crowd at a Habs-Bruins playoff game? I dont think his candidacy would play well in Quebec.
adma
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »

This "NDP athlete" talk's off-topic, isn't it?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies