Mitten's=the American version of David Cameron?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:34:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitten's=the American version of David Cameron?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitten's=the American version of David Cameron?  (Read 605 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »

Comparing the 2012 Presidential Election here in the US to the UK General Election in he Spring of 2010, I find alot of similarities between the conservative candidates in the two elections on both sides of the pond.

It appears that both Mitt and Dave are hated by the conservative wings of their parties. They both have been forced to change positions on a number of issues many times over. They both appear generic, false and at times rather insincere to their base. And  both are pretty much the only candidate's within their parties who could win in an election against their opposition.   

Additionally, that opposition in question in the form of both Gordon Brown and Obama came to power with much excitement and generally high approvals at first, however the global and domestic economic climate and their inability to manage it has caused their popularity to plummet. Also, both Brown and Obama have largely supported policies that have not lead to any major accomplishments. In addition, in both the cases of the the US and UK elections people seem tired and pissed off with the center-left leadership of the country but not thrilled or looking forward to the alternative ether.   

In short, does anyone else see any striking similarities between Romney and Cameron as well as the situation they are facing politically?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:31:01 AM »

Well Romney has a leg up on Cameron in that he is a much better campaigner. Cameron did after all squander a 20 point lead over Labour into a hung parliament.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2012, 12:35:44 AM by Blackwater NiK »

You're not alone in noticing the comparison. Mittens is essentially the older, Mormon version of Cameron. Both from elite families, both attended elite schools, et cetera, Though I get the feeling that Mittens is a lot more of a Puritan in his personal life, considering Cameron's association with the Bullingdon Club.

Though the comparison between Brown and Obama is a false one; Brown had consistently trailed (mostly badly) until the election. If anything, Obama seems a lot more like Blair to me.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:48:35 AM »

You're not alone in noticing the comparison. Mittens is essentially the older, Mormon version of Cameron. Both from elite families, both attended elite schools, et cetera, Though I get the feeling that Mittens is a lot more of a Puritan in his personal life, considering Cameron's association with the Bullingdon Club.

Though the comparison between Brown and Obama is a false one; Brown had consistently trailed (mostly badly) until the election. If anything, Obama seems a lot more like Blair to me.

I'd say my Brown comparison is pretty accurate since Blair despite leaving office in a swirl of controversy and unpopularity never had to face alot of the political hurdles Obama has been forced to deal with(Besides the crazy base of the opposition).

Also both Brown and Obama had been viewed as the next generation of both of their parties both shortly before and after taking office.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:34:37 AM »

Cameron and Romney, I see.  I see no resemblence between Brown and Obama - apart from the obvious Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:37:57 AM »

Cameron is much better than Mitt Romney.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 01:38:07 AM »

Cameron and Romney, I see.  I see no resemblence between Brown and Obama - apart from the obvious Tongue
No you didn't
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »

At first I misread "David Cameron" as "James Cameron". Tongue

But yeah, you're definitely correct in comparing those two. But I see no connection between Obama and Brown, apart from that they are both left-wingers.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »

The Tory base doesn't really hate Dave (just some of his backbenchers), his approvals among Tory voters are near North Korean levels. Whereas, the GOP base does hate Mitt Romney. And, although Dave's never really had more than a lukewarm reception, he's still seen as "Best of a bad bunch" compared to Clegg and Brown/Miliband.

Clegg's surge at the election could be compared to one of the "flavour of the month" style surges, I guess. The new guy doing well because people aren't too fussed on the frontrunner, yet hate the incumbent as well, only for the surge to collapse.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies