what separates Kansas from the other plains states in terms of electing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:39:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  what separates Kansas from the other plains states in terms of electing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what separates Kansas from the other plains states in terms of electing  (Read 2946 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »

democrat senators? Nebraska is probably even more republican than Kansas at the presidential level but has elected democratic senators like Exon, Kerrey, Nelson and the Dakotas have their share of dem senators like Conrad, Dorgan, Johnson, Daschle, McGovern. Why hasn't Kansas elected a democratic senator since like 1932?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »

I'm not an expert by any means, but perhaps they're just more like Oklahoma than Nebraska?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:58:15 PM »

but even Oklahoma has elected democratic senators. As late as the 1990s, they had a democratic senator. I can't remember his first name but his last was Boren.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2011, 10:11:44 PM by MilesC56 »

but even Oklahoma has elected democratic senators. As late as the 1990s, they had a democratic senator. I can't remember his first name but his last was Boren.

David Boren; the father of Rep. Dan Boren. He resigned in 1994 to become President at the University of Oklahoma.

Democrats have traditionally had a huge registration advantage in OK as well; the last numbers I've seen have Dems up 49-40 over Republicans. Basically, the OK electorate is still primarily made of Dixiecrats who vote Republican; they'd vote for conservatives like Boren in the past, but the decline of the OK Democratic party is pretty inevitable.

I wouldn't say that KS is more like OK than NB. KS isn't ancestrally Democratic like OK.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »

*Jumps in as actual Jayhawker*

All Midwestern states have roughly the same conservative to liberal ratio. While there are many "conservative Democrats" in other Midwestern states, there aren't in Kansas. Most of Kansas Democrats reside in Topeka, Lawrence, and Kansas City. In all three areas, Democrats are pretty liberal. Thus, the average Kansas Democrat is more liberal than other state's Democrats, meaning they have a much harder time winning statewide offices.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »

It's not like Kansas doesn't elect Democrats statewide. They've had Democratic governors, for example; Sebelius won twice, Joan Finney won in 1990, and John Carlin won in 1978 and 1982.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »

Has there ever been any close elections in Kansas?  I mean they've only had a handful of Senators since 1932, so its could easily be just statistics rather than any tangible preference by the state.  As the poster above me noted, they've elected Democrats for governor plenty of times.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »

It's not like Kansas doesn't elect Democrats statewide. They've had Democratic governors, for example; Sebelius won twice, Joan Finney won in 1990, and John Carlin won in 1978 and 1982.
They simply don't have a moderate-Democrat bench to run for the Senate. Anyone who somewhat resembles a moderate in the state runs for Governor, since they have a much better chance winning there.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »

Admitted to the Union in 1861 as a free state; Republican domination started there and hasn't abated. Oklahoma isn't comparable, culturally or politically.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »

Has there ever been any close elections in Kansas?  I mean they've only had a handful of Senators since 1932, so its could easily be just statistics rather than any tangible preference by the state.  As the poster above me noted, they've elected Democrats for governor plenty of times.

Only three Senate races since 1932 have been decided by fewer than 10 points:

1936, Arthur Capper (R) 51%, Omar B. Ketchum (D) 48.4%
1966, James Blackwood Pearson (R) 52.2%, J. Floyd Breeding (D) 45.2%
1974, Robert J. "Bob" Dole (R) 50.9%, William R. "Bill" Roy (D) 49.2%

The only close race in modern (post-1974) times was the 1996 open seat, when Sam Brownback beat Jill Docking 53.9% to 43.3%.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »

The only close race in modern (post-1974) times was the 1996 open seat, when Sam Brownback beat Jill Docking 53.9% to 43.3%.

Just looked at the Atlas map for that "close" 96 election hoping to see something interesting. Not remotely.... Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »

As other posters have pointed out, Oklahoma and Kansas are not comparable to each other, either culturally or politically.  First off, Oklahoma was formed largely by Native American Indians who are still a big key voting bloc in Oklahoma elections.  We have many different tribes in the Sooner State.  Secondly, the Religious Right is more prevalent in Oklahoma than it is in Kansas as if you'll look at a map of the Bible Belt, it stops at the Oklahoma/Kansas state line and the Missouri/Kansas state line.  The Republicans in Kansas are more "natural" Republicans without very much religious bias.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 01:25:25 PM »

As other posters have pointed out, Oklahoma and Kansas are not comparable to each other, either culturally or politically.  First off, Oklahoma was formed largely by Native American Indians who are still a big key voting bloc in Oklahoma elections.  We have many different tribes in the Sooner State.  Secondly, the Religious Right is more prevalent in Oklahoma than it is in Kansas as if you'll look at a map of the Bible Belt, it stops at the Oklahoma/Kansas state line and the Missouri/Kansas state line.  The Republicans in Kansas are more "natural" Republicans without very much religious bias.

Just thinking out loud here, but isn't Kansas the home of the infamous Westboro Baptist Church?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »

Just thinking out loud here, but isn't Kansas the home of the infamous Westboro Baptist Church?

Yes, but they aren't a Christian church.  Not by their actions.  We, in the Christian community, regard them as a cult.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »

Everyone hates the WBC, even most hardcore Christians. Secondly, I think it's pretty telling that Perot did quite better in Kansas in 1992 than in any of the surrounding states, and certainly better than any Bible Belt state.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »

There are plenty of ultra-conservative Christians in Kansas aside from the WBC. Take Scott Roeder (abortion provider George Tiller's murderer).
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »

but those are of the militia element. I despise the religious right, but only 5% of all fundies are THAT f'ed up.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »

Senate election if 1974, when Bob Dole barely survived a challenge from his Democratic opponent. However, it was a Watergate year.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »

And of course 1974 and 1936 were both horrible Republican years.

I think senate statistics are a bit dubious though given how long tenure often is. For example, Bob Dole was senator for 26 years. Saying that the Democrats couldn't take that seat in 30 years makes it look more Republican than it actually was though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2012, 07:38:30 PM by memphis »

A small sample size. They reelected Sebelius (Obama's HHS sec) as gov'r by 17 points in 2006.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »

All Midwestern states have roughly the same conservative to liberal ratio. While there are many "conservative Democrats" in other Midwestern states, there aren't in Kansas. Most of Kansas Democrats reside in Topeka, Lawrence, and Kansas City. In all three areas, Democrats are pretty liberal. Thus, the average Kansas Democrat is more liberal than other state's Democrats, meaning they have a much harder time winning statewide offices.

Sounds right, but how was Sebelius able to win easily?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »

People don't always vote based on party. Especially for local and state stuff. In 2006, Wyoming re-elected their Democratic gov'r with 70% of the vote. The same evening, Vermont easily elected a Republican governor. New York City hasn't elected a Democratic mayor since the 1980s.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »

I really want to drop an obligatory "What's the Matter With Kansas?" reference, but I can't decide whether to cite the 1896 version of the 2004 version.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

Name recognition helped.

Her father in law was a republican congressman from Kansas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies