Opinion of Thai Muslims
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:19:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Thai Muslims
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Thai Muslims
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Opinion of Thai Muslims  (Read 745 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »

Freedom Fighters obviously.

I find it hilarious opebo no doubt agrees and is on the same side as Muslims. Shows how crazy Thailand is...
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »

opebo would feed them to the lions.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »

I find it hilarious opebo no doubt agrees and is on the same side as Muslims. Shows how crazy Thailand is...

To be honest I'm not sure what you're referring to.  The South is dominated by the Democrat Party, which I strongly prefer, but the vast majority of the Southern constituencies are Buddhist.  I think the Muslims do on balance tend to vote Democrat as well, though many of them have their own parties, which just don't very often win many constituencies.

I can't pretend to be very well informed about the Muslim minority, but I think most of them - the non-extremists - tend to support the Monarchy strongly as an institution of fairness.  After all, minorities do well do oppose democracy and support monarchy, since the majority hates the minority, while the remote and disinterested potentate doesn't prefer one subject over the other any more than the farmer prefers a black cow over a red cow.

Also they specifically hate the Taksin parties because of that thugs horrible human rights record in dealing with them, as well as his support from the bigoted Isaan and Northern people, who tend to discriminate against Muslims.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:07:03 AM »

We need to, of course, draw a distinction between Thai Muslims and Malaysia (portion under Thai military occupation).

There were 2.816mio Muslims in Thailand according to the 2000 Census - 4.6% of the population.
83% of them lived in the South region (pictured above), where their share of the population is 29%.
But more to the point, over 1.3mio Muslims lived in the historical Pattani Sultanate - the three modern provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat - where they still form 78% of the population.  This was a Malay state in no way different from the ones put under English colonial rule, except that the English allowed Thailand to annex it instead. Almost as many people here are recorded as Malay-speaking as are recorded as Muslim - it should be pointed that the Thai census asks people if they speak Thai first, and whatever degenerate filthy dialect they try to communicate in instead after, so linguistic data from it should be treated with the utmost caution. Further north, most (but by no means all) Muslims are recorded as speaking Thai.
The province of Satun, which has only 250k inhabitants, is also majority (67.8%) Muslim, though 90% Thai speaking according to official figures, so just over half the Muslims in Thailand live in Muslim-majority provinces. Across the remainder of the South regions, the Muslim percentage averages 14%.Outside the South, of course, it's (just) under 1% living mostly in Bangkok and a few other places mostly along the coast.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »

Nice elucidation, Lewis - yes the Muslims one sees in the bulk of the South are a small minority and no trouble at all.  Maybe 15% or so in most places.  And they, like most Southerners do vote strongly Democrat and are strongly royalist.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »

As a general rule, I oppose anybody advocating Shariah law or engaging in terrorism against civilians-I consequently have a strongly negative opinion towards the secessionist groups.

I don't know how popular the groups in question are, however, so I can't answer the question.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:36 AM »

minus one
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:59:46 AM »

I don't really have a unified opinion on all Thai Muslims, but then again I'm a bit weird that way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies