Scottish Independence Referendum 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:46:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum 2014  (Read 8960 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »

Worth noting as well that should independence be successful, the SNP will probably be finished. It's job will be done.

So how do you think post-independence politics would play out in Scotland?  Assuming Labour become the "natural party of government", who would be their main rivals?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »

Worth noting as well that should independence be successful, the SNP will probably be finished. It's job will be done.

So how do you think post-independence politics would play out in Scotland?  Assuming Labour become the "natural party of government", who would be their main rivals?

I doubt that assumption could be made. Remember that the SNP are not wishing to be Labour's opposition; they want to replace it
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »

I think it's more likely that a post-independence SNP would very quickly slide into being a Party of Business with all that that tends to imply.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »

The Conservatives might linger on for a while, either as a party of United Empire Loyalists or just as a more bourgeois alternative to the SNP - but not both. The LDs' time in Scottish history will probably be over within a term of a successful independence referendum. I'd expect a stable Labour-SNP two-party system.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »

I think it's more likely that a post-independence SNP would very quickly slide into being a Party of Business with all that that tends to imply.

It sort of has already, though it's political suicide to openly boast about it (Labour too keep quiet)

The Conservatives might linger on for a while, either as a party of United Empire Loyalists or just as a more bourgeois alternative to the SNP - but not both. The LDs' time in Scottish history will probably be over within a term of a successful independence referendum. I'd expect a stable Labour-SNP two-party system.

Independence is in my view the only way for a Conservative Party revival. Of course, the party that organised wouldn't be the Tories; they would need to dissolve and form a right of centre party with the remnant Liberals and some SNP defections. I can't see the need for a Lib Dem party but I would consider that the Greens would remain and probably strengthen.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »

It sort of has already, though it's political suicide to openly boast about it (Labour too keep quiet)

Independence is in my view the only way for a Conservative Party revival. Of course, the party that organised wouldn't be the Tories; they would need to dissolve and form a right of centre party with the remnant Liberals and some SNP defections. I can't see the need for a Lib Dem party but I would consider that the Greens would remain and probably strengthen.

If they keep AMS (or even move to a list system) the parties would massively fracture - Europe style.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

Independence is in my view the only way for a Conservative Party revival. Of course, the party that organised wouldn't be the Tories; they would need to dissolve and form a right of centre party with the remnant Liberals and some SNP defections.
Yeah, that's the "more bourgeois alternative" path. It obviously has more longterm potential than the other one. Though things'd have to go fairly badly for the SNP for this to be much more than the Portuguese PP (or, you know, the current Tories in Scotland).

Good point about the Greens, I suppose.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

The Greens are well placed to appeal to the 'bourgeois left' should the Lib Dems vacate the scene

I had forgot to post this. This is of course the council results for 2007 for the Greens where they stood. Strong results in the well to do areas of Glasgow and Edinburgh (and not just students) likwise in Fife, places like Dunblane, North Berwick, Strathaven, Lanark etc
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »

The Greens are well placed to appeal to the 'bourgeois left' should the Lib Dems vacate the scene

I had forgot to post this. This is of course the council results for 2007 for the Greens where they stood. Strong results in the well to do areas of Glasgow and Edinburgh (and not just students) likwise in Fife, places like Dunblane, North Berwick, Strathaven, Lanark etc

The Libs still appeal to the bourgeois left?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »

Yeah, but it would become much more apparent in the event of independence (and possibly even further devolution, though I'm less sure about that). Which would have some impact on the structure of the party system, though Lord knows what.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2012, 06:13:54 PM »

Would I be off-base in thinking that a large number of Tories and Nationalists might gather themselves into one right-wing organization?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »

Would I be off-base in thinking that a large number of Tories and Nationalists might gather themselves into one right-wing organization?

I would hope so, but I can hardly get them in one room without a fight never mind a party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2012, 06:03:44 PM »

Random:

(actually it's not random at all, but, whateversky)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »

I think it's cute that Rupe's using the language of 'competition' and, by implication, 'markets' to describe the phenomenon of being a nation-state.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »

This one is cute.

The PNV in Eusakdi have apparently proposed a draft law that would replace Madrid with Edinburgh as their capital.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/31/peter-cruddas-scottish-independence_n_1393744.html?ref=uk

Just lovely.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies