What, exactly, would Romney do as POTUS?!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:36:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What, exactly, would Romney do as POTUS?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What, exactly, would Romney do as POTUS?!  (Read 3313 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »

the guy can speak for hours and never say anything, other than a long string of generic platitudes.  So, I have no idea what he would do as POTUS.  And if he is being purposely undefined, what exactly would his mandate be if elected?

And why has so much of the GOP established endorsed such an purposely undefined candidate?

I really don't get it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »

if the GOP nominates an undefined candidate, then doesnt the GOP deserve to lose in 2012 by default?!  I mean, Mitt is a finger-in-the-wind-flip-flopper, which is NOT the same as being a moderate.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 11:47:15 AM by angus »

And why has so much of the GOP established endorsed such an purposely undefined candidate?

Maybe they actually want to win this time.

You think Gingrich is going to defeat Obama?  

In most national polls, during the summer and fall, all GOP lose to Obama except Romney, and Romney only sometimes wins.

Not gonna do you any good to nominate a guy that's in your pocket if he can't win.  With Romney, there's a chance that he'll appoint federal judges that you like and pursue legislation you might agree with.  With Obama, that's likely not the case, and that's what you'll get if you run Gingrich.  

Oh, by the way, Welcome back!  Smiley 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »

TBH, I suspect the answer to the question "What would Romney do as President" and the question "What will the makeup of the new Congress be" are intimately related.  Weathervane Mitt doesn't so much strike me as a person with his own agenda (barring obvious support for plutocratic economic policies for him and his).  Outside of a core set of economic policies, I suspect Mittens would just go with the prevailing sentiment, mostly because he doesn't seriously care about those issues.  Switching from pro-life to pro-choice to pro-life isn't really so much about opportunism as that he doesn't give a s**t about abortion one way or the other.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »

In most national polls, during the summer and fall, all GOP lose to Obama except Romney, and Romney only sometimes wins.

Romney might be a nice guy in private, but I have no respect for someone just pulling every platitude lever he can find.  I'd rather talk straight and lose, than say nothing and win.  Elections are, after all, a contest of IDEAS!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »

Go look at his website. Mittens has a tax plan, a boat plan, a plan as to the judges he will appoint, and so forth. His planks are as detailed as anyone else's.  Some of this of course is not too meaningful, as reality intrudes once in power. Obama for example when he was running asserted that we were running up too much debt. Tongue
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

Go look at his website. Mittens has a tax plan, a boat plan, a plan as to the judges he will appoint, and so forth. His planks are as detailed as anyone else's.

Does Romney even know what's on his website?  Cain sure didn't. 

I want to hear it from the horses mouth, but the mouth only talks in platitudes, which I find very insulting.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

Go look at his website. Mittens has a tax plan, a boat plan, a plan as to the judges he will appoint, and so forth. His planks are as detailed as anyone else's.

Does Romney even know what's on his website?  Cain sure didn't. 

I want to hear it from the horses mouth, but the mouth only talks in platitudes, which I find very insulting.

You just need to listen more carefully. He has laid it out, and no, I don't agree with all of it, and don't really care. I give more weight to temperament, smarts, and good judgment, and knowledge. Mittens' depth of knowledge having listened to him in extended interviews easily laps the rest of the field.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 12:52:45 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

You just need to listen more carefully. He has laid it out, and no, I don't agree with all of it, and don't really care. I give more weight to temperament, smarts, and good judgment, and knowledge. Mittens' depth of knowledge having listened to him in extended interviews easily laps the rest of the field.

but what good is knowledge if you're spineless in your leadership?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

but what good is knowledge if you're spineless in your leadership?

Mittens hasn't been spineless, he has been a pragmatist. And there is nothing wrong with adapting yourself to the local political environment. Politicians represent constituents.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »

Mittens hasn't been spineless, he has been a pragmatist. And there is nothing wrong with adapting yourself to the local political environment. Politicians represent constituents.

so, if Mitt were running in Las Vegas, he would take on the part of a literal whore and not just a preverbial one?  that might be an interesting fact, but I have no need for whores, perverbial or otherwise.

Mitt is not going to do anything other than kick the can down the road.  He'll never take an unpopular position. 

Sorry, that is a follower, not a leader.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

Elections are, after all, a contest of IDEAS!

He has them.  In September he unveiled a 59-point economic/jobs plan.  Probably you haven't gone through those 59 points very thoroughly.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »

He has them.  In September he unveiled a 59-point economic/jobs plan.  Probably you haven't gone through those 59 points very thoroughly.

if I listen to a 30 minute speech and here nothing but platitudes, I don't care if he has a 1000 point plan on paper.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

He'll grind you all up and feed the sausages to the rich, jmfcst, just like every other president.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 03:09:10 PM by Torie »

He has them.  In September he unveiled a 59-point economic/jobs plan.  Probably you haven't gone through those 59 points very thoroughly.

if I listen to a 30 minute speech and here nothing but platitudes, I don't care if he has a 1000 point plan on paper.

You don't like reading stuff other than the Bible jmfcst?  I like reading texts myself. I find them more precise than verbal pyrotechnics.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 02:26:48 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

You don't like reading stuff other than the Bible jmfcst?  I like reading texts myself. I find them more precise than verbal pyrotechnics.

actions>speeches>statements on website

Romney's record of actions is not conservative.  His speeches are very poor attempts to jerk us off with platitudes.  So, why would I care to read his website?  That's not how I buy things - I have to be given a reason to be interested in something in order to research it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »

the guy can speak for hours and never say anything, other than a long string of generic platitudes.  So, I have no idea what he would do as POTUS.  And if he is being purposely undefined, what exactly would his mandate be if elected?

I really don't get it.

Like it or not, President Obama has a record of promoting legislative change as if there will never be another opportunity to do so. In view of the big money behind the GOP that has proved a wise strategy.

Romney would have a mandate -- which way does the money flow? More crony capitalism, tax breaks for the super-rich, tax shifts to people getting pay cuts...

At least with President Obama you always know where he stands.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »

the guy can speak for hours and never say anything, other than a long string of generic platitudes.  So, I have no idea what he would do as POTUS.  And if he is being purposely undefined, what exactly would his mandate be if elected?

I really don't get it.

The average voter is completely sick of partisanship. This is perhaps best exemplified by the recent surge in the number of registered independents. Those independents want a stand-up guy who is a competent executive that is not obsessed with playing politics 24/7. Romney fits the bill to a T.

Most people do not want ANYBODY's idea of a messiah in the next POTUS. They just want a competent executive who will help get the economy back on track while maintaining American prestige.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:37 PM »

He'll grind you all up and feed the sausages to the rich, jmfcst, just like every other president.

It appears no other candidate is able to rile up opebo quite as effectively as Romney. This should be enough to convince you to support Romney, jmfcst.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »

The average voter is completely sick of partisanship. This is perhaps best exemplified by the recent surge in the number of registered independents. Those independents want a stand-up guy who is a competent executive that is not obsessed with playing politics 24/7. Romney fits the bill to a T.

Most people do not want ANYBODY's idea of a messiah in the next POTUS. They just want a competent executive who will help get the economy back on track while maintaining American prestige.

this debate is getting nowhere...once again, I don't consider Romney to a non-partisan or a moderate, rather I consider him a 100% pro-Romney. He's trying to win by not leading.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »

this debate is getting nowhere...once again, I don't consider Romney to a non-partisan or a moderate, rather I consider him a 100% pro-Romney. He's trying to win by not leading.

How would you have governed in Mass jmfcst?  Just veto everything, get nothing of your own passed, and have each and every one of your vetoes overridden?  Mittens managed Mass in a fiscally sound manner by the way.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »

-Legalize gay marriage
-Repeal partial-birth abortion ban
-Repeal Obamacare, replace with single-payer health insurance
-Invade Iran

At least the jmfctses would get one out of four!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »

How would you have governed in Mass jmfcst?  Just veto everything, get nothing of your own passed, and have each and every one of your vetoes overridden?  Mittens managed Mass in a fiscally sound manner by the way.

I agree! So why is he not proud of his record and ignores his time as Governor?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 03:20:16 PM by Torie »

How would you have governed in Mass jmfcst?  Just veto everything, get nothing of your own passed, and have each and every one of your vetoes overridden?  Mittens managed Mass in a fiscally sound manner by the way.

I agree! So why is he not proud of his record and ignores his time as Governor?

He is proud of his record, and for that matter Romneycare, which he defends, although the legislature forced some changes (like not allowing for catastrophic health insurance with a high deductible as an option), that he didn't like, but he thought something was better than nothing to deal with the free loader-moral hazard problem of those who could afford to buy health insurance, but don't, and then just go to the emergency room. And in Mass, one could afford to do that, because the percentage of the uninsured was quite low.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

Since when?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies