Thoughts on VP selection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:15:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Thoughts on VP selection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Thoughts on VP selection  (Read 5098 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »

I admire John McCain more then any other American politician nowadays but I knew he was done for when he chose Sarah Palin... there is one rule I have heard about VP selections and that is "do no harm" The best way to do harm is to select a candidate who people do not feel comfortable doing the one job the VP has- taking over if the President dies or resigns

I keep hearing- Rubio, Martinez, Rand Paul, McDonnell, etc- NONE are experienced enough!  Romney is stressing competence and management...why select some one who undermines that message? Someone like Duncan Hunter...conservative, tough, experienced would be ideal and no one would worry if he was ready for the Presidency

I believe he needs someone with foreign policy credentials since he has ZERO...maybe even John Bolton. But all this talk about a VP candidate who is 1 year into their term is ridiculous and will cost the GOP a victory in November
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »

why select some one who undermines that message? Someone like Duncan Hunter...

for some reason, I find that name very unsophisticated sounding.  Almost trailer-parkish.

President Hunter?!

along the same lines - I always thougt the name Nixon looked cool in print and had a cool ring to it (setting aside the stigma of the man, of course).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »

I think we need Susana Martinez, Duncan Hunter is a good American, but being Congressman and a war hero is not enough. Ron Paul could (he's a vet, not a "war hero" type though) fit that persona as well.
Selene
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »

Evening:

My five decades in politics makes me shudder to think that if Goody Two Shoes gets the nomination, he might pick Pawlenty.

Thune has not ruled out being considered.

Adam
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »

Evening:

My five decades in politics makes me shudder to think that if Goody Two Shoes gets the nomination, he might pick Pawlenty.

Thune has not ruled out being considered.

Adam

John Thune would open a Senate seat... probably for Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin or Tom Daschle.  The Democrats might need that Senate seat for a majority. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »

Unless they don't have a Governor appointment as the replacement method for resigned Senators, then Dauregard appoints Mike Rounds as Senator, and either of those two have to face a popular former Governor serving as a semi-incumbent (more in the league of Johanns to the south then of Hoeven in ND, though).

Now if Burr is selected as was mentioned then it depends on who wins the Governorship, what they take office if it isn't Perdue, and what the state legislature can do to change the states procedures PDQ (Same party requirement, special election), if it is her.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 11:54:21 PM »

Duncan Hunter was someone who the Romney crowd, back in 2007, liked very much because he was strong on defense, and enforcement first/anti-amnesty on illegals. He was considered to be a top pick for Secretary of Homeland Security in a Romney administration for that reason. However, when he dropped out of the race and was asked if he would join fellow tough on illegals, Rep Tancredo in supporting Mittens, he stated that he was dead set against Romney because, Bain Capital had taken part in the outsourcing of an important defense related manufacturer to China.
milhouse24
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:21:08 AM »

It seems Rob Portman is the consensus media safe choice, thus delivering Ohio.
But I think he doesn't have the same stature outside of Ohio.  Plus, his working in the Bush White House might be seen as a negative, if he were to someday become president, so Obama can knock him by portraying him as a Bush Stooge. 
Mitch Daniels is a good choice but also too quiet and may not have the balls to take it to and take down Obama-Biden. 
I think Thune and DeMint would be good choices to shore up the base.
Rubio is obviously too young to be taken seriously and he said he will turn down vp. 

As I've said time and time again, you need a heavyweight VP to knock down Obama, and only one man has the media stature to do it, Jeb Bush.  He never served in the Dubya white house, so there is no direct complaints of corruption or mismanagement.  Plus, he will reunite the Evangelicals who won't backstab a Bush. 
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »

Kyl is an option.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 08:09:58 AM »

I hadn't really thought about Duncan Hunter (Sr.) as a potential running mate. I believe he was considered to be SecDef in a Huckabee admin., however I doubt he could jive with Mitt's more pro-globalization stances enough to form a compatible team.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »

Clarence raises an excellent point.

A VP candidate must at least be conceived in the eyes of the public as someone competent enough to assume the Presidency should that become necessary.

Clarence is right, Palin fell far short of meeting this requirement.

In the world of the 21st century, the VP candidate absolutely has to have the capabilities of becoming a viable President.

Whoever is the nominee without reservation has to make the right VP pick, not another Palin.

One name that comes to mind as a competent and experienced individual for Romney to name as VP pick is General David Petraeus, four star general, Director of the CIA.  I believe he would add foreign policy experience to the ticket and would be seen by the public as someone who would be a competent and able President should that eventuality become necessary.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2012, 12:56:51 PM by دعا ,يدعو »

Ironically, there was a time, a smoke-filled room time, when selecting a presidential nominee was far less open process than selecting a vice presidential one, which was left, on many occasion, to the delegates. Now, in order to become a nominee, one must face a nationwide primary. But there's no such transparency in selecting a running-mate: basically nominee says he want that guy and it's over.

I think establishing separate primaries for President and Vice President (as we have many separate primaries for future ticket-mates on statewide level) would be a great idea.

What do you think, guys?

I think we need Susana Martinez, Duncan Hunter is a good American, but being Congressman and a war hero is not enough. Ron Paul could (he's a vet, not a "war hero" type though) fit that persona as well.

Another Governor with less than two years of service? I don't want to compare Martinez and Palin, but it's not a good message.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »

I had a thought, and this has been brought up before, but since the Vice President is also the President of the Senate, wouldn't a Senator be better suited to be Vice President than a Governor?  Of course, the main qualification is competency and ability to assume the role of the Presidency should that become necessary, which is why I don't think Ron Paul would be a good fit, considering he is 76 years old.  If he were the nominee, we'd better make sure the Speaker of the House is ready to go.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »

I had a thought, and this has been brought up before, but since the Vice President is also the President of the Senate, wouldn't a Senator be better suited to be Vice President than a Governor? 

Veep's role as President of the Senate is largely irrelevant.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

It seems Rob Portman is the consensus media safe choice, thus delivering Ohio.
But I think he doesn't have the same stature outside of Ohio.  Plus, his working in the Bush White House might be seen as a negative, if he were to someday become president, so Obama can knock him by portraying him as a Bush Stooge. 
Mitch Daniels is a good choice but also too quiet and may not have the balls to take it to and take down Obama-Biden. 
I think Thune and DeMint would be good choices to shore up the base.
Rubio is obviously too young to be taken seriously and he said he will turn down vp. 

As I've said time and time again, you need a heavyweight VP to knock down Obama, and only one man has the media stature to do it, Jeb Bush.  He never served in the Dubya white house, so there is no direct complaints of corruption or mismanagement.  Plus, he will reunite the Evangelicals who won't backstab a Bush. 

Portman? He couldn't be re-elected in Ohio if he were up for it in 2012.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_OH_1110.pdf

Brown is the Democrat up for re-election; Portman is the Republican elected in 2010. Sure, this is from November... but I doubt that much has changed in Ohio.

As with Thune, Portman as VP would open a Senate seat for a Democratic takeover of a Senate seat -- but for an even surer thing.

VP candidates have lost their own states. Think of Edwards, Kemp, Ferraro, Shriver, and Agnew (1968).

One way or the other, Rob Partman looks like a losing proposition for the Republicans as VP. In view of the unpopularity of Republicans in Ohio, Ohio will be a tough pick-up for Republicans. Barack Obama is a good cultural match for Ohio.
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »

What about McDonnell?

As for Portman, I think he'd make a great runningmate but doubt he'd be willing to abandon his Senate seat so quickly.  Besides, I think the GOP would benefit more by keeping Portman in that seat than as VP.
Guderian

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »

What about McDonnell?

As for Portman, I think he'd make a great runningmate but doubt he'd be willing to abandon his Senate seat so quickly.  Besides, I think the GOP would benefit more by keeping Portman in that seat than as VP.

LOL, reason why people run for Senate in the first place is that they daydream about being President or VP, so I really doubt Portman (or anyone else, for that matter) would really turn it down if offered.

Why do we never hear about Richard Burr in veepstakes, he seems to compliment Romney well: Senator, Southerner, Protestant (evangelical?), from a swing state, reliable voting record.
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »

What about McDonnell?

LOL, reason why people run for Senate in the first place is that they daydream about being President or VP, so I really doubt Portman (or anyone else, for that matter) would really turn it down if offered.

President, not VP.  Big difference.  Leaving the Senate after two years reeks of opportunism and risks damage to future presidential aspirations.  This is precisely the reason why Rubio has stated he would decline an offer of the VP slot, IMO.
Guderian

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2012, 02:38:33 PM by Guderian »

Being VP is one heartbeat away from being President and it also assures you can have a presidential nomination for yourself later on if you want it (Dan Quayle being an obvious exception, of course). Rubio is full of crap, just like Obama was when he was talking about 2008 possibilities in 05 and 06. Oh, and did that hurt Barry's reputation, starting a presidential campaign after two years in the Senate?
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »

Being VP is one heartbeat away from being President and it also assures you can have a presidential nomination for yourself later on if you want it (Dan Quayle being an obvious exception, of course). Rubio is full of sh**t, just like Obama was when he was talking about 2008 possibilities in 05 and 06. Oh, and did that hurt Barry's reputation, starting a presidential campaign after two years in the Senate?

The election of Barack Obama as President was a complete aberration and it would be foolish for any potential candidate make an attempt at replicating it. 
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2012, 04:13:33 PM by Politico »

Unless he can convince Petraeus, Romney needs to pick somebody with no ties to Washington or else he runs the risk of Obama successfully tying him to "the do-nothing Congress."

Governor McDonnell has never served in Washington, and has been Governor of Virginia for about as long as Spiro Agnew was Governor of Maryland when Nixon picked him to be his running mate in '68 (And Nixon was, more than anybody else, an ardent believer in the philosophy that a running mate is only good for not doing harm to the ticket; no more or less). Unless the vetting shows otherwise, McDonnell is the ultra safe choice who helps seal the deal in two states pretty early on (i.e., native Virginia and neighboring North Carolina).

With regards to foreign policy, Romney's choices for Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense will fill that hole (He could always announce his choices if elected much earlier than the election if criticism boils about the ticket lacking foreign policy). Besides, this election is about the economy, not foreign policy, so it really won't matter that Romney/McDonnell largely lack foreign policy experience (And, for what it's worth, McDonnell was a medical supply officer in the United States Army for four years in the late '70s).
Guderian

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »

Petraeus? That would be something, member of the administration running against that administration. Maybe Leon Panetta is available if Petraeus is not?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »

McDonnell is the obvious pick. He's a reasonably popular Governor of a swing state, has (presumably, I haven't checked) conservative credentials, and is too boring to overshadow Romney. There's an experience problem, sure, but meh. Romney himself was only an elected politician for four years, although he's spent about twenty running for things and losing.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »

Unless he can convince Petraeus, Romney needs to pick somebody with no ties to Washington or else he runs the risk of Obama successfully tying him to "the do-nothing Congress."

Governor McDonnell has never served in Washington, and has been Governor of Virginia for about as long as Spiro Agnew was Governor of Maryland when Nixon picked him to be his running mate in '68 (And Nixon was, more than anybody else, an ardent believer in the philosophy that a running mate is only good for not doing harm to the ticket; no more or less). Unless the vetting shows otherwise, McDonnell is the ultra safe choice who helps seal the deal in two states pretty early on (i.e., native Virginia and neighboring North Carolina).

We can only hope Romney's Nixonian Do No Harm philosophy leads him to pick the next Spiro Agnew.
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »

Petraeus? That would be something, member of the administration running against that administration. Maybe Leon Panetta is available if Petraeus is not?

Yeah, I really don't see Petraeus as a legitimate option.

My money's on McDonnell.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies