Thoughts on VP selection (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:39:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Thoughts on VP selection (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thoughts on VP selection  (Read 5168 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 13, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »

Evening:

My five decades in politics makes me shudder to think that if Goody Two Shoes gets the nomination, he might pick Pawlenty.

Thune has not ruled out being considered.

Adam

John Thune would open a Senate seat... probably for Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin or Tom Daschle.  The Democrats might need that Senate seat for a majority. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

It seems Rob Portman is the consensus media safe choice, thus delivering Ohio.
But I think he doesn't have the same stature outside of Ohio.  Plus, his working in the Bush White House might be seen as a negative, if he were to someday become president, so Obama can knock him by portraying him as a Bush Stooge. 
Mitch Daniels is a good choice but also too quiet and may not have the balls to take it to and take down Obama-Biden. 
I think Thune and DeMint would be good choices to shore up the base.
Rubio is obviously too young to be taken seriously and he said he will turn down vp. 

As I've said time and time again, you need a heavyweight VP to knock down Obama, and only one man has the media stature to do it, Jeb Bush.  He never served in the Dubya white house, so there is no direct complaints of corruption or mismanagement.  Plus, he will reunite the Evangelicals who won't backstab a Bush. 

Portman? He couldn't be re-elected in Ohio if he were up for it in 2012.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_OH_1110.pdf

Brown is the Democrat up for re-election; Portman is the Republican elected in 2010. Sure, this is from November... but I doubt that much has changed in Ohio.

As with Thune, Portman as VP would open a Senate seat for a Democratic takeover of a Senate seat -- but for an even surer thing.

VP candidates have lost their own states. Think of Edwards, Kemp, Ferraro, Shriver, and Agnew (1968).

One way or the other, Rob Partman looks like a losing proposition for the Republicans as VP. In view of the unpopularity of Republicans in Ohio, Ohio will be a tough pick-up for Republicans. Barack Obama is a good cultural match for Ohio.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies