A Presidency Salvaged, and a Drink Too Much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:38:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Presidency Salvaged, and a Drink Too Much
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Presidency Salvaged, and a Drink Too Much  (Read 532 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »

4-5-1893: "I really don't think these tariff talks are accomplishing much. I'll need to reach out across the aisle and out to the American people if I want any hope of having this tariff reduction passed. And I'll be damned if those Silverites and Republicans in the Senate stop me..."

- The Grover Cleveland Diaries

4-16-1893: "I've done it! I don't know how, but the senate passed my tariff reduction 52-38. I had to twist a lot of arms and I was able to convince all the Democrats in the senate to pass the bill, and convinced the Populists that it would help the common man and farmer by creating competition for big businesses here at home. Passing it in the house was easy, but to get those northeastern Republicans I had to haul President Arthur out of retirement and put him on the stump for my bill. It reduces tariffs to a rate of 39% but for all industries, and does not give unfair benefits to any particular industry. This obviously encouraged business; today there was a great bump in the stock prices, and the economy's looking better than ever. It's funny, people are already suggesting I run again in 1896..."

5-12-1893: President Cleveland adresses Congress:

"We must repeal this destructive legislation! It [thunderous cheers and scattered boos] is an abomination to the American people! THE SHERMAN SILVER PURCHASE ACT MUST GO!"

Shortly afterwards, freshman William Lyne Wilson (D-WV) comes charging through the door to Cleveland's office after speaking with Speaker Crisp:

"Mr. President! Mr. President! [panting] We have the numbers to do it sir!"

"Well get going then Bill!"

"Right away Mr. President, but we have to do something about Bryan."

"Forget Bryan! That pathetic excuse for a Democrat isn't worthy of our time and energy."

"Yes Mr. President..."

6-23-1893: Speaker Crisp: "We have an ally in William McKinley; though he's ardent protectionist and has opposed this administration from the getgo, but he could help us rally enough Gold and midwestern Republicans to help us get rid of this monstrosity. But we have to make sure it appeals to both factions - "

Charles Brackett Reed: "But nothing. I'll strip every one of my silverites of all their committee memberships and with them any hope of higher office if they so much as think about blocking this bill. I'll whip all of my men into line and I suggest that you do the same, or when the economy implodes your party will be decimated with it in the midterms."

Pres. Pro Tem. Charles Manderson: "We have to make sure that this does not tear our parties apart at the seams. Otherwise we might have to face a strengthened populist-silver party next year, and then we'll risk permanently alienating the American people from the Gold Standard and true American values forever."

Cleveland: "Well thank you gentleman for coming today, and I greatly appreciate this united effort. Would anyone care for a drink?"
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »

Yay! Cheesy But why don't you wander onto the regular board? The timelines usually go on the main "Election What ifs" board while questions and what not like "who would win" go in here or alternative elections.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »

Yay! Cheesy But why don't you wander onto the regular board? The timelines usually go on the main "Election What ifs" board while questions and what not like "who would win" go in here or alternative elections.

Alright, reposting...
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »

The new link (on the main thread):
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=147022.msg3154395
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: