Future of the GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:26:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Future of the GOP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with the below theory?
Yes
Partially
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Future of the GOP  (Read 2991 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

I'm talking long term.  Our generation will see to it, I predict.

Perhaps if Wall Street is destroyed by a freak hurricane/earthquake/tsunami/nuclear warhead.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »

Seriously. Ever hear of a party called the Democrats? They went 24 straight years without victory, had only 2 presidents between 1861 & 1933, suffered through two other periods of being in tge opposition, lasting 16 & 12 years respectively. Ya know what? They went on to hold the Presidency for 5 straight terms & dominated 1 house of congress 1955-1981, & the other 1955-1995. "Oh my gosh, we have a bad field! We're gonna die out automatically!"

Yea, but, uh, those parties were no where near incompetent as the current GOP.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »

Well I wouldn't even vote for the conservatives if they changed they're values to those of the Democrats. They would basically be democrats who have the same economic views as the 2012 conservatives, and I would hate them almost as much as Democrats.

"Unless they are 100% like me, I won't vote them. " Reality dictates the necessity of sacrifice and priotization in goals and principles. Otherwise a winning coalition is completely impossible and then you will loose on 100% of the things you want. Thus is the failure of such logic.

What do you define as "being like the Democrats"? Would a greater splash of Libertarianism be regarded as such? Would utilization of states rights on social issues be considered that? Would an equal dialogue on Foreign policy between Hawks and Paulites be considered to much of a concession?
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »

There will be years where the Democrats have the White House and years where the Republicans are in the White House. Both parties say the other is ending but look, since the Civil War, both parties have managed to survive. They've both been around for over 150 years and will be around for another 150 years. America is now at a place where the parties are very different and at a gridlock. If anything, I see them growing further apart all the more.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 03:23:40 AM »

"Death before dishonor"
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »

Seriously. Ever hear of a party called the Democrats? They went 24 straight years without victory, had only 2 presidents between 1861 & 1933, suffered through two other periods of being in tge opposition, lasting 16 & 12 years respectively. Ya know what? They went on to hold the Presidency for 5 straight terms & dominated 1 house of congress 1955-1981, & the other 1955-1995. "Oh my gosh, we have a bad field! We're gonna die out automatically!"

Yea, but, uh, those parties were no where near incompetent as the current GOP.
[/quote]

Ever hear of the New Deal era? We were nominating fat worse candidates then. Wendell friggin' Wilkie? A guy with no political experience & a former lifelong Democrat? Alf Landon's biggest accomplishment was surviving re-election in 1934. Tom Dewey wasn't ready til 1948 when he'd actually had enough time governing. Hell, the Democrats didn't even run a candidate in 1872. They endorsed someone else! And they still survived. They nominated a known loser not twice, but three times & yet they still survived. Just because things are bad or even horrible doesn't mean a party is doomed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies