What is your voting record like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:27:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is your voting record like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is your voting record like?  (Read 3662 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 06:38:38 AM »

Australian law dictates that people over 18 have a 100% voting record.

Alas, I haven't voted yet.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »

I've voted in every election since the 2000 General Election except for School Board or School-funding sales tax increases. 

My voting record is as follows (General Election, Washington-bound and Gubernatorial candidates only)

President
2000: George W. Bush (W)
2004: John F. Kerry (L)
2008: Barack H. Obama (W)
2012: Willard Romney

Governor of Oklahoma
2002: Steve Largent (R) (Loss to Brad Henry)
2006: Brad Henry (D) (W)
2010: Jari Askins (D) (Loss to Mary Fallin)
2014: Unknown, probably Mary Fallin

Senate
2002: Jim Inhofe (R) (W)
2004: Brad Carson (D) (Loss to Tom Coburn)
2008: Democrat (D) (Loss to Jim Inhofe)
2010: Andrew Rice (D) (Loss to Tom Coburn)
2014: Anybody but Jim Inhofe

US House
2000: Ernest Istook (OK-5, R) (W)
2002: Frank Lucas (OK-3, R) (W)
2004: Sue Davis (OK-3, D) (L)
2006: Sue Davis (OK-3, D) (L)
2008: Mary Fallin (OK-5, R) (W)
2010: Tom Cole (OK-4, R) (W - unopposed)
2012: Hopefully not Tom Cole
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »

Like Hash, I was one of the few students to vote in the student union elections. Totally bogus elections, that disqualified candidates after they won, but anyways..

Oh, they did that too? Priceless. They disqualified some guy last here, and he proceeded to throw some hissy fit. I just voted for girls who I found hot, because student elections are a joke and the SFUO is a huge joke. I won't vote for anybody this year, because the SFUO is a useless fraud which didn't even think it convenient to tell me I hadn't been hired for a job, so I'll write-in Rick Santorum and Rick Perry.

For the main races, I did a bit of research. In my final year, I just went on facebook to see which candidates supported the NDP. Interestingly, people from both student parties were NDP supporters.

For student senate races, I just voted for the girls. I didn't know what they looked like, so I couldnt vote for the hot ones, but I voted for the ones with hot names.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »

Yeah, now I try to stalk the candidates on the Facebook to see which party they support. I felt physically sick after finding out that I voted for a girl who was a Conservative and worked for my waste of sperm MP no less.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »

I don't vote in my town's pathetic municipal elections (no contested races!), but I didn't miss the one primary and one general election for which I've been eligible to vote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »

New edition upon re-examination of memory. It will also be amended come the 2012 mock election in senior year.

2004 4th grade mock presidential election:
President George W. Bush of Texas (R)

2004 Cub Scout meeting mock presidential election:
Activist Ralph Nader of Connecticut (I)

2008 8th grade mock presidential election:
Senator John McCain of Arizona (R)

2010 10th grade mock gubernatorial election:
Businessman Rick Snyder (R)

2010 10th grade mock congressional election:
Former Michigan State Senate Majority Leader Andrew Raczowski (R)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »

Inspired by a "who will you vote for?" thread where several people mentioned they might skip the election.

So, how often do you (or don't you) vote?

I sometimes skip the odd-numbered year elections.  I always vote in the even year ones.  I also miss some of the march elections (school board, etc.)  I try to make all the state senate, state house, US rep, US senate, president, governor, mayor, and state-wide referenda.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »

Inspired by a "who will you vote for?" thread where several people mentioned they might skip the election.

So, how often do you (or don't you) vote?

I sometimes skip the odd-numbered year elections.  I always vote in the even year ones.  I also miss some of the march elections (school board, etc.)  I try to make all the state senate, state house, US rep, US senate, president, governor, mayor, and state-wide referenda.

My voting record is pretty similar.  I've voted in every even-numbered general since I was first old enough 2004 (yes, John Kerry was the first vote I cast ever, mock me all you want).  2008 was the first (and so far only) primary I voted in, before that I was registered independent so I couldn't vote in primaries here.

We do have local elections on odd-numbered years, but I skipped the last one because there was nothing even remotely competitive and I was out of the state.  Did vote for Nutter in 2007, though.

I don't vote in school board elections because I haven't ever had the time to research candidates.  If I were to ever become a parent I'd feel more of an obligation to do so.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

(yes, John Kerry was the first vote I cast ever, mock me all you want).  

That's nothing.  The first time I ever voted for President I voted for Michael Dukakis, so I don't really have much room to be mocking anybody for how they voted.  Well, okay, maybe those voters who put Hitler's party over the top in the '33 German federal elections might get a slightly higher score than I on the naive-o-meter, but that'd be about all.  

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »

2002: Didn't vote. I was away for college at the time and even though I was already a political junkie, I somehow didn't care enough to actually request an absentee ballot.

2004: Absentee for Kerry.

2006: I was living in Massachusetts but got an absentee ballot. I voted for the Green party candidate for Senate and for O'Malley for Governor.

2008: Didn't vote. I was developing a tool for the SEIU so they could "stream" AP election results into their intranet dashboard. I had to be at work at 7 am in the morning. I thought I would take a break or vote after work, but it turns out they wanted the dashboard to be redesigned throughout the day; I had to skip lunch and didn't stop working for more than 5 minutes until around the time the election was called.

2010: Straight Democratic.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »

2002: Didn't vote.

2004: Didn't care enough to show up on election day but did the Absentee thing (good thing they don't ask for identification.)

2006: see above

2008: Didn't vote.

2010: Straight Democratic.

Hard to top that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »

Hard to top it for what? Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »

I registered to vote when I was 18. I skipped the 2008 Presidential primary (because the caucus determined all the delegates --- and I did go to the caucus). Other than that, I've voted in every single election since registerting.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »

2008: Didn't vote. I was developing a tool for the SEIU so they could "stream" AP election results into their intranet dashboard. I had to be at work at 7 am in the morning. I thought I would take a break or vote after work, but it turns out they wanted the dashboard to be redesigned throughout the day; I had to skip lunch and didn't stop working for more than 5 minutes until around the time the election was called.

you're a programmer?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »

I do programming (C#), SharePoint and SQL.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »

I think I might have one of the best winning records of anyone here, I haven't voted for any candidate who lost for a major office in over four years (unless you count my first pref for Minneapolis mayor in 2009, but that was basically a joke vote since the election was basically a joke in competitiveness), and in 2006 I voted for only one who lost (Hatch for Governor). Then again my 2002 and 2004 records are pretty lousy, 2004 was 1/3 (though technically you could make the case that Kerry/Edwards did win Minnesota's electoral votes...), and my only winners in 2002 were the state legislative candidates and Attorney General.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »

apathy.

It struck me very funny when I read it.  A paradox.  You're always the stereotypical Democrat:  Morose, yet excitable.  Preaching optimism while predicting doom.  Convinced that we have to save the world from itself.  Call the people to action!

Did you vote?

Well, not exactly.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:08 AM »

I've voted just once so far - last year, casting a No vote on AV (because I didn't think it went far enough)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

I haven't missed a general election since I first voted in 1976. I don't believe I've missed any election in the last 20 years. I have missed some caucuses for township offices in that time since there is no absentee provision for those races.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 12:24:01 PM »

With the exception of a couple local races I did not know or simply forgot about, I voted in every election since 2008 and from 2010 onward went out of my way to study the ballot initiatives and candidates prior to voting. I am never active with intra-party decision-making processes though, perhaps because it would often require a lot of travel and - to put it as delicately as I reasonably can - I am less than enthusiastic about several planks featured in the MDP and MGP platforms.
Michaelf7777777
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »

2008 New Zealand General Election - Voted Labour

2009 Spanking Referendum - Did Not Vote (as the question was very poorly worded)

2010 Local Body Elections - Did Not Vote (as I was busy with university work at the time and I believed all the press that it would be an easy win for the candidate I did not like. I'm not making the same mistake of believing the press again as the candidate I preferred won by a mere 40 votes)

2011 New Zealand General Election - Voted for New Zealand First (Not because I supported all their policies (indeed I disagree with many of them) but I realised it was the only chance of having a Labour government (due to the intracies of the New Zealand's MMP electoral system.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »

I've voted in every presidential election since my first vote in 1988, and in every midterm election since 1998.  I'm thinking I might sit this year's general out though.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »

Since 1999, I have voted in every local, state, federal or European election I was eligible to. And in those two state-level referendums too.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »

I've voted in every election I've been eligible, in both Illinois and in Germany.

It's rather impressive actually. I'm 21 and I've cast 13 ballots in total. Don't think too many people can claim that Smiley
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »

1952- Eisenhower
1956- Eisenhower
1960- Nixon
1964- Goldwater
1968- Wallace
1972- Nixon
1976- Carter
1980- Reagan
1984- Reagan
1988- Bush
1992- Bush
1996- Clinton
2000- Bush
2004- Bush
2008- McCain

Voting for the other party for a federal election only benefits that party in the long run. For example, Joe Manchin. He was a conservative Democrat but his body getting into the Senate meant that the Democrats were more likely to maintain the majority. The White House is even more important. Not only is it the president, but everyone the president appoints and hires as well as the cabinets that you're voting for as well in terms of ideology. This is a lesser of 2 evils idea but it's the way things are.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies