We had Ohio and Wisconsin; now republixans go after unions in Indiana.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:27:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  We had Ohio and Wisconsin; now republixans go after unions in Indiana.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We had Ohio and Wisconsin; now republixans go after unions in Indiana.  (Read 4210 times)
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/06/us-unions-indiana-righttowork-idUSTRE80500G20120106

This is about one thing and one thing only.

Making it easier to put a republican in the white house. No real person knows what right to work is but the gop are in this way making rich people richer and the american dream remains a dream.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

Not that I disagree with you, but if your so pro Union, you probably have the wrong Avatar.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »

Making it easier to put a republican in the white house.

Actually union busting moves by the GOP in states like Wisconsin, Ohio, and yes even Indiana, make those states all the likelier to vote Democrat.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »

Actually union busting moves by the GOP in states like Wisconsin, Ohio, and yes even Indiana, make those states all the likelier to vote Democrat.

I dont that they're gonna win Indiana this time. The Democrat bench here is rather weak in comparison to what the GOP has. Most Hoosiers want Right to Work legislation to pass.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »

I dont that they're gonna win Indiana this time. The Democrat bench here is rather weak in comparison to what the GOP has. Most Hoosiers want Right to Work legislation to pass.

What are they, stupid?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »

What are they, stupid?

They hear 'Right to Work' and don't have a very clear idea of what it means, nor care.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

So they're just like the other side?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »

The other side of Hoosiers? What is the other side of them? What are you talking about?Huh??
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2012, 01:38:59 AM by Nathan »

Yes in that vast majorities of any given political ideology are grossly uninformed. No in that 'Right to Work' is significantly more disingenuous than any leftist terms used in labor politics that I can think of (although all this really says is that the right is currently better at political messaging in this country).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »

agreed
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »

Yes in that vast majorities of any given political ideology are grossly uninformed. No in that 'Right to Work' is significantly more disingenuous than any leftist terms used in labor politics that I can think of (although all this really says is that the right is currently better at political messaging in this country).
Conservatives win because they have better social skills? Then again, a lot of them can't get laid...so....

Back to the point. When I first heard "Right to Work", I thought it meant that you were guaranteed a job, not that people could work without paying union dues.

Seriously, though. If you have Right to Work, then we should have card check laws. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »

"Republixan"? Don't get it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »

Where?

Republicans are making a huge political mistake pushing for this. I haven't quite formed an opinion yet, but I question how good this really is when all Democrats oppose this and even some "maverick" GOP Senators, such as my own, are going against this.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »

Conservatives win because they have better social skills? Then again, a lot of them can't get laid...so....

Back to the point. When I first heard "Right to Work", I thought it meant that you were guaranteed a job, not that people could work without paying union dues.

Seriously, though. If you have Right to Work, then we should have card check laws. 

I really don't understand how one can oppose card check laws and claim to be respecting the wishes of the majority. The applicable majority is the majority of the workers who did card check indicating that they want a union.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:16 AM »

It turns out that the 2 states that lost the most manufacturing jobs are right to work states.  Right to work is one of those political terms that sounds good to people who don't bother to figure out what it actually means, like pro-life or Patriot Act.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:41 AM »

It turns out that the 2 states that lost the most manufacturing jobs are right to work states.  Right to work is one of those political terms that sounds good to people who don't bother to figure out what it actually means, like pro-life or Patriot Act.

How can manufacturing output be increasing when manufacturing jobs are decreasing?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »

How can manufacturing output be increasing when manufacturing jobs are decreasing?

Because legislation has not distributed productivity increases properly, phnk.  We should have a 20 hour work week at $100/hour.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

Technological gains in productivity.
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »

High technical manufactoring  few workers but educated engineers.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »

Where?

Republicans are making a huge political mistake pushing for this. I haven't quite formed an opinion yet, but I question how good this really is when all Democrats oppose this and even some "maverick" GOP Senators, such as my own, are going against this.

My rep (Vannatter) is spearheading this IIRC. Sadly I'm gonna have to tell him he's wrong in endorsing Romney Sad
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hFGXVYzOfYO5WjwYWSQHkaKmCcNg?docId=c80c405e1d4147139578fc0b7bb54e67

Indiana's Right to Work Legislation passed the House just a few minutes ago, 55-41. It now heads to the Senate, where GOP has a supermajority. Daniels has stated he'd sign it as well, so expect it to be signed sometime next week, most likely.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »

Perhaps in the short term. I believe the OP is referring to the fact that unions are a major source of campaign funds for the Democratic Party.

I've never really understood how "right to work" is fair at all. If you don't want to be a member of a union, you're certainly allowed to quit your unionized job and go find non-unionized work.
CaDan
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Holy Irony Batman!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »

Perhaps in the short term. I believe the OP is referring to the fact that unions are a major source of campaign funds for the Democratic Party.

I've never really understood how "right to work" is fair at all. If you don't want to be a member of a union, you're certainly allowed to quit your unionized job and go find non-unionized work.

Alternatively, the union could provide a service worth joining rather than using coercion and then funneling your dues to the Democratic party.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »

Technological gains in productivity.
Not only technology. People are working a helluva lot harder today too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies