Romney wants no more debating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney wants no more debating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney wants no more debating  (Read 1992 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

Will Romney Stop Debating?

Byron York reports Mitt Romney's presidential campaign "says it has not yet accepted invitations to participate in two high-profile debates leading up to the January 31 Florida primary, and a key Romney adviser is expressing fatigue and frustration over what he sees as a never-ending series of GOP debates."

Said adviser Stuart Stevens: "There are too many of these. We have to bring some order to it. We haven't accepted Florida...It's kind of like a cruise that's gone on too long."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/01/18/will_romney_stop_debating.html
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

This will not go over well, especially if Romney loses South Carolina.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »

Mitt's finally run out of platitudes?!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »

He should go, but in 2016 there should be fewer debates- at least if they're kept in the current format. I don't think anyone would argue that we've learnt anything from the post-Oops debates.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »

I think debates are very helpful. It's a good thing for democracy that we get to see our candidates talk about their positions on nationally-broadcasted television for two hours. We dramatically over-estimate how much voters actually know about these candidates, because we're on the internet the whole day reading about them. Most people don't know anything about the candidate's specific views or plans, and while the debates are far from perfect, they at least help a little bit to educate voters. The more debates the better, I say.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

I knew Romney had Mexican blood in him, but I never thought he would start crying, "No Mas!"

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »

This is America.  I believe we always have the opportunity to create more platitudes.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »

"...It's kind of like a cruise that's gone on too long."

That's how I always feel about the lead up to the Iowa caucuses.  It's fun at first, and we get to meet people, and we get lots of information in our mailboxes, but eventually it's too much.

How far to the next port, captain?

Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »

Looks like Mitt forgot to take his anti-arrogance medication again.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »

Bad optics on this.  He gets trashed in a debate and now suddenly hates debates.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »

On the one hand, terrible optics.  On the other hand, it's time this terrible primary season finally got put out of its misery and Mitt Romney crowned. 

At least the benefit of having the GOP be Romney rather than Gingrich is that Gingrich's horrible "7 general election debates with Obama" proposal will never see the light of day again.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »

T3h shame is too much for the Mittbot.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »

no reason to after he wins by 15 in SC.  sorry kids, never was a ballgame to begin with.  tried to tell you.  really tried.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

If he thinks debating is tough, I'd love to see what he thinks of the presidency after two years.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »

If he wins SC, then I agree, no more debates.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »

Good God, I really don't want to see him trounced in the general- but he's quite a bad debater and then he has to come out and practically admit it!
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »

We've had, what, twenty debates at least? And if Mitt wins South Carolina, everything is over, so there's no point in having yet another one. Why bother? So Gingrich can pout like a baby on national TV for the umpteenth time over blowing his opportunity? Nobody wants to see that again.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »

Good God, I really don't want to see him trounced in the general- but he's quite a bad debater and then he has to come out and practically admit it!

This is exactly how we want everybody talking going into the first debate with Obama.

You guys don't think Romney mailed in a bad performance the other night because he wanted to do well, do you? And you don't think the 12-15 good performances before the other night were just a fluke, do you?

Remember: Things aren't always what they seem...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »

Presumably, if Romney wins SC, then he doesn't agree to do more debates.  But Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum will still participate.  (Perry presumably drops out of the race this weekend, after coming in 5th in SC.)  So next week, you'll have two Florida debates with just Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum.  Next debate after that isn't until Feb. 22 in Arizona.  Maybe that'll be cancelled.  The networks will probably lose interest in hosting these things if the presumptive nominee isn't participating.

Incidentally, if you recall, Obama did the same thing four years ago after Texas and Ohio.  Clinton wanted more debates, but Obama said that he was done.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2012, 04:21:09 PM by Simfan34 »

This is exactly how we want everybody talking going into the first debate with Obama.

You guys don't think Romney mailed in a bad performance the other night because he wanted to do well, do you? And you don't think the 12-15 good performances before the other night were just a fluke, do you?

You're looking at it the wrong way. Romney's preformance was the same as it has been all the other times. What changed was how the others atttacked him. He simply wasn't prepared for such attacks, and his responses were exceedingly weak. We saw the same with the famous "I put my country first" exchange with Huntsman. How well prepared will Romney be when he faces Obama? Romney, in the primaries, could not show up and that would be fine. He can't do that in the General.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

You're looking at it the wrong way. Romney's preformance was the same as it has been all the other times. What changed was how the others atttacked him. He simply wasn't prepared for such attacks, and his responses were exceedingly weak. We saw the same with the famous "I put my country first" exchange with Huntsman. How well prepared will Romney be when he faces Obama? Romney, in the primaries, could not show up and that would be fine. He can't do that in the General.

It's best for Romney if everybody goes into the debates with Obama thinking that Romney is a lame debater and Obama is the master debater.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »

You're looking at it the wrong way. Romney's preformance was the same as it has been all the other times. What changed was how the others atttacked him. He simply wasn't prepared for such attacks, and his responses were exceedingly weak. We saw the same with the famous "I put my country first" exchange with Huntsman. How well prepared will Romney be when he faces Obama? Romney could not show up and that would be fine. He can't do that in the General.

Here, Simfan, this will be easier to convince than Politico:

cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »

Incidentally, if you recall, Obama did the same thing four years ago after Texas and Ohio.  Clinton wanted more debates, but Obama said that he was done.

They still had two more though, both in Pennsylvania.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies