Should the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance be abolished? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:25:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance be abolished? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance be abolished?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Should the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance be abolished?  (Read 5646 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »

It's really a stupid thing to recite every day before school. But it's one of those American patriotism things that is pretty much artificial. Wave the flag, recite the pledge, don't begin a musical without singing the national anthem, etc.

It makes each recital worth less because of the routine, and I doubt the students taking part really know or care what they're saying for the most part.

But hey. USA!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »

I understand that point Tweed- but I sometimes cant stand the outrage some people have to nationalism.. I am PROUD to be in this nation where people are free and where minoritires or gays are not killed for who they are, and I am proud to say so every day!

You understand there are other free countries (some likely with a higher level of freedom) than the United States?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »

While it is true the US has played a big role in securing freedom in the Western world, you can't use that as a free pass to avoid any criticism today. The fact is there are many countries with equal or greater freedom.

And it's not as if America's foreign policy has only been around to spread freedom...let's not pretend otherwise.

Yeah, the US tends to be one of the good guys...but I do get annoyed by the arrogance expressed by many (like in your last post).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »

I believe in pride in ones nation... it does not bother me if a Brit thinks the UK is best but what bothers me is an American who says we are not exceptional

So what is someone (like me) who holds two citizenships to believe in that regard? Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies