Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 12:49:51 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Mittens becomes more unelectable by the day: $8 million in the Cayman islands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mittens becomes more unelectable by the day: $8 million in the Cayman islands  (Read 1034 times)
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2012, 01:06:14 am »
Ignore

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney-parks-millions-offshore-tax-haven/story?id=15378566#.TxeyP-Bk34h

Although it is not apparent on his financial disclosure form, Mitt Romney has millions of dollars of his personal wealth in investment funds set up in the Cayman Islands, a notorious Caribbean tax haven.

A spokesperson for the Romney campaign says Romney follows all tax laws and he would pay the same in taxes regardless of where the funds are based.

As the race for the Republican nomination heats up, Mitt Romney is finding it increasingly difficult to maintain a shroud of secrecy around the details about his vast personal wealth, including, as ABC News has discovered, his investment in funds located offshore and his ability to pay a lower tax rate.

"His personal finances are a poster child of what's wrong with the American tax system," said Jack Blum, a Washington lawyer who is an authority on tax enforcement and offshore banking.

On Tuesday, Romney disclosed that he has been paying a far lower percentage in taxes than most Americans, around 15 percent of his annual earnings. It has been Romney's Republican rivals who have driven the tax issue onto center stage. For weeks, Romney has cited a desire for privacy as his reason for not sharing his tax returns -- a gesture of transparency that is now expected from presidential contenders.

"I can tell you we follow the tax laws," he said recently while on the campaign trail in New Hampshire. "And if there's an opportunity to save taxes, we like anybody else in this country will follow that opportunity."

But tax experts tell ABC News there are other reasons Romney may not want the public viewing his returns. As one of the wealthiest candidates to run for president in recent times, Romney has used a variety of techniques to help minimize the taxes on his estimated $250 million fortune. In addition to paying the lower tax rate on his investment income, Romney has as much as $8 million invested in at least 12 funds listed on a Cayman Islands registry. Another investment, which Romney reports as being worth between $5 million and $25 million, shows up on securities records as having been domiciled in the Caymans.

At the very least, this turn of events seems to validate my prediction that Americans are ready and willing to fully embrace fascism.
I dreamed about Lief spanking Rand Paul.
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:13:46 am »
Ignore

I made this commemorative jpeg in honor of this occasion:

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
Ignore

This isn't illegal. Leave it to liberals to attack someone on how much wealth they have. Roll Eyes
Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:57 am »
Ignore

I suspect they are going to do everything they can for this year's return to minimize the negative reaction. The question is, will Mitt release returns for the last few years (as Obama has done and as his own father did when he ran for President).

CultureKing
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:43:38 am »
Ignore

This isn't illegal. Leave it to liberals to attack someone on how much wealth they have. Roll Eyes

No, it's not illegal. In fact it may not be necessarily a bad practice. However it would be a good idea to investigate such claims when the person in question may lead the entire nation. Wealth also does have a measurable impact on how people act and hold themselves (although I am not sure if it's a positive one or a negative one necessarily).

Econ: -6.50, Social: -5.23
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:46:38 am »
Ignore

They say that opening Romney's tax returns is more dangerous than Pandora's box and will melt your face. Chuck Norris won't even do it.

Bernie would probably win Vermont if Obama were deemed to have more than 272 evs in the vag.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:02:52 am »
Ignore

This isn't illegal.

Neither is burning the American flag but I doubt it helps your electability much.

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:24:15 am »
Ignore

I anxiously await the day Lief has an unbiased post about the 2012 election.

MagneticFree
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:49 am »
Ignore

4 more years of unemployment above 8-10% with Obama in office and more food stamps for the dependent. Democrats always having to make wealth look bad, when it's not.

Paul/Cruz 2016!
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:36 am »
Ignore

4 more years of unemployment above 8-10% with Obama in office and more food stamps for the dependent. Democrats always having to make wealth look bad, when it's not.

Why are you trying to make food stamps look bad? They help people in need!

MagneticFree
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:38:46 am »
Ignore

My sister is on them right now, and she clearly doesn't need them. Im not stating why she doesn't need them, she's already making enough money as is without.

Paul/Cruz 2016!
Politico
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:50:15 am »
Ignore

Romney follows the tax laws and, like everybody else, finds a way to lower his tax burden whenever possible. Nice smear job on trying to tie him into the Cayman Islands, though.

Of course, this is all too complex for people who think the world owes them a living. These type of people see Romney's wealth and think they are entitled to a piece of it. Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:40:50 am by Politico »Logged

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

- Bastiat
Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:31 am »
Ignore

Romney follows the tax laws and, like everybody else, finds a way to lower his tax burden whenever possible. Nice smear job on trying to tie him into the Cayman Islands, though.

Of course, this is all too complex for people who think the world owes them a living. These type of people see Romney's wealth and think they are entitled to it. Good luck with that.

"I'm Mitt Romney and I approve this message".

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"

Marston
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 03:59:20 am »
Ignore

My sister is on them right now, and she clearly doesn't need them. Im not stating why she doesn't need them, she's already making enough money as is without.

In regards to significant public policy issues, I'm really not persuaded by arguments that start with "My sister...", "My friend...", "My cousin...", "My mom...", etc. Anecdotes only really get you so far. 
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:56 am »
Ignore

I like how the response to every negative story about Romney is "LA LA LA IT'S NOT ILLEGAL YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS".
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:03:59 am »
Ignore

It's pretty much a given that every rich person in America has money in the Caymans.

Free Bradley Manning
TXMichael
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:21 am »
Ignore

I don't "attack" people because they are wealthy.  I call them out when they aren't paying their taxes. 

Proposed 2012 GOP election slogans

1.  Defeat the economy!  Defeat Obama!
2.  More government control over Women's bodies!
3.  Vote conservative, vote for failure!
4.  Vote weakness, vote Republican!
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:52 am »
Ignore

It's pretty much a given that every rich person in America has money in the Caymans.

Yes, but that doesn't make it right.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:15:12 am »
Ignore

Never said it was, good sir.  Remember you're talking to someone who would have supplied the Paris Commune with modern weaponry.

Free Bradley Manning
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:44 am »
Ignore

Never said it was, good sir.  Remember you're talking to someone who would have supplied the Paris Commune with modern weaponry.

Fair enough.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:53 am »
Ignore

Of course, this is all too complex for people who think the world owes them a living. These type of people see Romney's wealth and think they are entitled to a piece of it. Good luck with that.

Thing is, nobody is entitled to Romney's wealth. Including Romney.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 11:43:44 am »
Ignore

Somehow, I seriously doubt that having that kind of wealth during these particular economic times is a good thing for his Presidential prospects.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 11:44:37 am »
Ignore

Oops!

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/01/19/romney-iras-offshore-investments-helping-his-tax-bill/

Mitt Romney’s campaign has attacked an ABC News report on the candidate’s offshore investments, saying his holdings in the Cayman Islands and elsewhere have no effect on the amount he pays in U.S. taxes.

But the campaign’s assertions may be wrong or misleading. Tax experts said some of the offshore holdings are likely intended to help Mr. Romney avoid paying an obscure but hefty tax of as much as 35% on some of those investments, held in a tax-deferred retirement account.

They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:25 am »
Ignore

Romney isn't paying the taxes he ought to be.

Hey Republicans, you do want to "broaden the tax base", don't ya?
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 11:52:11 am »
Ignore

The investment income earned in the Cayman Islands is subject to US tax. Th cash probably came from foreign offshore corporations, earning non investment income (you know, from factories and the like), which if repatriated would be subject to US tax. If all foreign subsidiary non passive income were taxed in the US immediately (no other nations does that), then over time, the US would have no US based corporations left which have significant activity, and employees, overseas, particularly as long as the US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world among the major economies (a tax which by the way has regressive aspects, since a portion of it is like a sales tax, passed on in higher prices).

But yes, this can't help Mitt much. It is all too complicated for Joe Six Pack. The trick is to find out if Obama thinks the laws should be changed here. If he does, then the point I made can be used as a riposte.

Addendum: Well if some of it is held in a retirement account, then it won't be taxed until withdrawn from the account, which is the law for everyone else as well. The issue is the taxation of the original principal as it were, and I explained the policy reason why non repatriated earnings from foreign subsidiaries are not subject to US tax.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:57:37 am by Torie »Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout