Official CNN South Carolina Debate Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:41:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official CNN South Carolina Debate Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
Author Topic: Official CNN South Carolina Debate Thread  (Read 43765 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »

Is Santorum calling himself the next Reagan?

They have all tried to anoint themselves as the next Reagan
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #426 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »

Dear God...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #427 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »

Gingrich: A
Santorum: A
Paul: B
Romney: C
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #428 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »

Santorum:A
Newt:A-
Mittens: B+
Ron Paul: Ron Paul
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #429 on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »

Except Paul. He is kinda notorious for pointing out (correctly) Reagan's big government deficit spending ways.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #430 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »

Santorum A
Romney A
Gingrich A-
Paul B+
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #431 on: January 19, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »

Except Paul. He is kinda notorious for pointing out (correctly) Reagan's big government deficit spending ways.

Paul has done it too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLGt1O1wycQ
“America must decide who to trust: Al Gore Texas cheerleader, or the one who stood with Reagan.” 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #432 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »

Paul, this is one of the many reasons why I could just never support you.

?!

Dude, WTF?

Ron Paul is Ron Paul.  Tonight he is no different than any other night.

What's your beef with Ron Paul?

My beef is that, despite how I think he's more sane than any of the other candidates currently running (within reason), I disagree with him on many issues.  Abortion is one of them.

I'm not exactly sure what your position is on abortion, we'll probably have to discuss that in another thread.  I'm not an obstetrician, so my position is probably different than Ron Paul's, but I"m in favor of safe and legal abortion, and in that respect I'm probably in the mainstream of US voters.  Moreover, I've been there.  I've been a 19-year-old with a pregnant girlfriend, being scared and worried, and hoping that she won't decide to actually have the baby.  Wanting to blurt out "Oh, sh**t, you're not actually going to have the baby, are you?" but also being man enough to keep my mouth shut because it's her decision.  By law!  And, frankly, by reason and by ethical and historical moral conditioning.  I've had to cough up half the money for the procedure, in a time when coughing up half of 400 dollars wasn't easy.  I've walked past those irritating protesters with their rosaries and their placards with giant pictures of aborted babies--as offensive as they are, as taxpaying citizens they had every much right to occupy that sidewalk as we had to walk upon it toward the door of the clinic--abortion is not a political issue.  It's a personal issue.  And it's one that pregnant individuals must make without interference of their government.  I don't want a state like China, where a pregnant woman can be forced to abort a child, and I don't want a state like Ireland, where a pregnant woman must leave the country to have a legal abortion.  Luckily, I don't live in China or Ireland.  I live in the USA, where we have a constitution that allows each person, via his legislature, to make laws.  This is where Ron Paul stands.  And this is where I stand.

Ron Paul wants you to be in charge of your future.  He doesn't want others in charge of your future.  Yes, this human fetal abortion is tricky, because it is one issue in which one human must necessarily be somewhat in charge of the issue of another.  But that is between two people connected by an umbilical chord.  There is no bond in nature as strong as that between a mammal and its mother, and no god or government can come between it.  I think Ron Paul fundamentally understands this.  Do you?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #433 on: January 19, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »

Yep, overly sensitive. That's me. Proven by the fact that I've been here for how long as basically the lone Santorum supporter, right?

I never thought I'd remove Assad from my sig.  Thanks, bro.

Well, "we'll see" if it lasts.
HST1948

« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2012, 10:15:45 PM by HST1948 »

?!

Dude, WTF?

My beef is that, despite how I think he's more sane than any of the other candidates currently running (within reason), I disagree with him on many issues.  Abortion is one of them.

I'm not exactly sure what your position is on abortion, we'll probably have to discuss that in another thread.  I'm not an obstetrician, so my position is probably different than Ron Paul's, but I"m in favor of safe and legal abortion, and in that respect I'm probably in the mainstream of US voters.  Moreover, I've been there.  I've been a 19-year-old with a pregnant girlfriend, being scared and worried, and hoping that she won't decide to actually have the baby.  Wanting to blurt out "Oh, sh**t, you're not actually going to have the baby, are you?" but also being man enough to keep my mouth shut because it's her decision.  By law!  And, frankly, by reason and by ethical and historical moral conditioning.  I've had to cough up half the money for the procedure, in a time when coughing up half of 400 dollars wasn't easy.  I've walked past those irritating protesters with their rosaries and their placards with giant pictures of aborted babies--as offensive as they are, as taxpaying citizens they had every much right to occupy that sidewalk as we had to walk upon it toward the door of the clinic--abortion is not a political issue.  It's a personal issue.  And it's one that pregnant individuals must make without interference of their government.  I don't want a state like China, where a pregnant woman can be forced to abort a child, and I don't want a state like Ireland, where a pregnant woman must leave the country to have a legal abortion.  Luckily, I don't live in China or Ireland.  I live in the USA, where we have a constitution that allows each person, via his legislature, to make laws.  This is where Ron Paul stands.  And this is where I stand.

Ron Paul wants you to be in charge of your future.  He doesn't want others in charge of your future.  Yes, this human fetal abortion is tricky, because it is one issue in which one human must necessarily be somewhat in charge of the issue of another.  But that is between two people connected by an umbilical chord.  There is no bond in nature as strong as that between a mammal and its mother, and no god or government can come between it.  I think Ron Paul fundamentally understands this.  Do you?

I'm sorry, that must have been really hard for you and your girlfriend.

I agree that Ron Paul holds that fundamental position, and I actually agree with Ron Paul on that.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #435 on: January 19, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »

?!

Dude, WTF?

He certainly does not.  I know that Ron Paul hasn't referred to outlawing abortion nationwide, or going to the extremes like Santorum wants to do, but as someone who doesn't believe that a fetus has the same rights as a person, I don't believe that states should be allowed to decide on things like this.  It should be legal at a federal level.  The reason for that is because, like you said, no government can come between something like that.  If we roll the abortion issue back to the states, then a woman's freedom would vary by where she lives and, contrary to what Paul says he wants, government will be able to control your future - only, at a state level.  And I respect states' rights and all that, for the most part, but I don't think they should be allowed to get involved with personal issues like these.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #436 on: January 19, 2012, 10:21:01 PM »

Just watching the highlight, Newt's momentum was stopped, by Santorum.

A default Romney win.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »

A default Romney win.

Well, that confirms it.  Romney's finished.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »

A default Romney win.

I tend to agree that Santorum is going to eat into Gingrich's numbers. He had his best debate ever. Romney did enough to keep his 30%. It'll probably go 30-25-25-20, or something like that.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »

?!

Dude, WTF?

I hope she would choose to have the child. I have two younger sisters who were pregnant last year though not married. I personally believe, and this is up to you, Choosing life for that child would be so much a blessing, not without challenges, for both families. My sisters did.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #440 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »

A default Romney win.

Won't be the narrative though. The media wants a race, so between Marrianne, the Polls out tonight, Gingrich's outburst, and taxes there will be little to no mention of Santorum for those who didn't watch.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »

A default Romney win.

Won't be the narrative though. The media wants a race, so between Marrianne, the Polls out tonight, Gingrich's outburst, and taxes there will be little to no mention of Santorum for those who didn't watch.

I think you missed the point.  Gingrich didn't win tonight, though he didn't do badly.  Santorum is the one that stopped Gingrich; it is that Gingrich says weird stuff and he's not dependable.  That does not give anybody a reason to vote for Santorum, but it gives a good reason not to vote for Gingrich.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2012, 01:41:55 AM »

A default Romney win.

Yeah, but what about the Bradley Effect?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #443 on: January 20, 2012, 01:49:18 AM »

A default Romney win.

Don't worry, Santorum took care of Gingrich nicely.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2012, 01:50:13 AM »

A default Romney win.

What debate were you watching?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2012, 02:02:21 AM »

A default Romney win.

Haha, okay...
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #446 on: January 20, 2012, 03:47:52 AM »

Paul lectures someone else on sensitivity while his supporters are shrieking when he doesn't get to answer an issue they don't even care about. You can't make it up!

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #447 on: January 20, 2012, 03:53:42 AM »

Why didn't Paul say that he delivered 4000 babies and tell that abortion story from his ad ?

Would have been better IMO than talking about something random and then getting attacked by Santorum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »

Paul lectures someone else on sensitivity while his supporters are shrieking when he doesn't get to answer an issue they don't even care about. You can't make it up!

You're about eight hours late on that one, pal. The insurgency is slipping...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2012, 09:32:42 AM »

I hope she would choose to have the child. I have two younger sisters who were pregnant last year though not married. I personally believe, and this is up to you, Choosing life for that child would be so much a blessing, not without challenges, for both families. My sisters did.

And that's a commendable sentiment.  I assume Ron Paul shares it.  I don't want to argue this any more, and I don't usually post in the abortion threads because people who feel passionately about it one way or the other are generally not to be convinced otherwise, which is fine.  I wouldn't put abortion in my top ten most important issues anyway.  I generally don't find myself moved to vote for or a against a candidate based on his attitude about human fetal abortion, but I realize that there are some for whom this is an important issue.  There are those who think that terminating a pregnancy is so immoral that it should be outlawed in all cases, and they base that on deeply-held moral convictions, so I can't really fault them for that.  In contrast, there are those who think that the right to terminate a pregnancy for any reason and at any time is fundamental, and they base that on deeply-held moral convictions, so I can't really fault them for that.  But I can't figure out why no one who is moved by this issue wouldn't respect Ron Paul's position.  It seems reasonable, moral, and based on the same precepts of American democracy as outlined in the Constitution as all his other positions are based.  Yet, the hardcore anti-abortion crowd and the hardcore pro-abortion crowd both hate him for his position.  It's mystifying.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies