For Democrats: Does 2000...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:41:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  For Democrats: Does 2000...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Does the whole electoral process of 2000 bring up an unexplainable anger in you?
Yes

No

I'm not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: For Democrats: Does 2000...  (Read 28721 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »

Yes. Bush seemed more naive and unpresidential then compared to now, when he's arrogant and wrong on many issues.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 08:12:20 AM »

Yes. Bush seemed more naive and unpresidential then compared to now, when he's arrogant and wrong on many issues.

I really resented Bush when he "won" in 2000 without a majority PV, but when he was re-elected I didn't suffer any blues at all since the EV and PV for both he and Kerry were pretty "fair"

I wouldn't dwell on the past. The important thing now is to nominate a Democrat who can win in 2008!

Furthermore, its important to concentrate our efforts regaining control of Congress, governor's mansions and state legislatures

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 08:49:07 AM »

Control of the State Legislatures results in Control of the House.
If the Democrats can remember Tip's advice ("All politics is local") they should be able to build on their solid preformance in the State Legislatures this year.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 08:53:03 AM »

It brings up a rather explainable anger in me too... anger that Democrats almost got away with stealing an election.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 11:36:15 AM »

Yes
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 11:51:14 AM »

No, there's nothing "unexplainable" about it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 06:10:40 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the question.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 06:23:58 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the question.
Basically, is there something almost so natural about hating the way the 2000 election was decided that there's no need to explain it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 06:24:59 PM »

It brings up a rather explainable anger in me too... anger that Democrats almost got away with stealing an election.
For the record, I wanted state-wide recounts, not just those in South Florida, which would have favored the Democrats.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 12:35:32 AM »

Nationwide babay!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 02:56:44 AM »

For the record, I wanted state-wide recounts, not just those in South Florida, which would have favored the Democrats.

Same here. A statewide manual count should have happened.

I'm angry that ballots that were intended for Gore were not counted for him for a variety of reasons. The election wasn't stolen, but Bush did win on a technicality due to voters who wanted to vote for Gore not having their votes counted for him due to a variety of reasons in different areas.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 12:46:07 PM »

FL Presidential 2000 and WA Governor 2004 have much in parallel.

Recounts of all the votes cast switched WA from Republican to Democrat, and might have done so in FL.

But both states allowed 1000's of fraudulent, mostly Democratic ballots, to be cast from felons, prisoners, the dead, out of state residents, dual registered and unregistered voters. 
And both WA and FL divined voter intent among overvotes and undervotes that more closely matched the ballot readers prejudice than met a standard of clear intent.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »

Its not unexplainable. A majority of the people chose Al Gore to be their president. It may have been a small majority but it was still a majority.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 11:09:59 PM »

Its not unexplainable. A majority of the people chose Al Gore to be their president. It may have been a small majority but it was still a majority.

It was not a majority, it was a plurality.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 10:22:35 PM »

Of course, whether or not it was stolen, it sure as hell seemed like it.
skybridge
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 03:50:19 AM »

The outcome is incredibly unfair. Gore, who I believe is more liberal than Clinton, received more popular votes than Bush while at the same time 2.8 million people stood up for one of the most liberal third party candidates since Debs. In spite of the overwhelming demand for a liberal president, who do you get? Perhaps the most conservative ever! I really think there should be some way to fix this defect of the system.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 07:23:50 PM »

I don't think either party was trying to really steal the election. It was a coin that landed on its edge and both Bush and Gore were trying to blow it their way.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 05:21:18 PM »

The outcome is incredibly unfair. Gore, who I believe is more liberal than Clinton, received more popular votes than Bush while at the same time 2.8 million people stood up for one of the most liberal third party candidates since Debs. In spite of the overwhelming demand for a liberal president, who do you get? Perhaps the most conservative ever! I really think there should be some way to fix this defect of the system.

The Electoral system in the US purposely marginalizes third parties (whether Nader in 2000 or Wallace in 1968).  This has the beneficial result of keeping demagogues and radical ideas from dominating an election, promotes moderation by the major parties, and provides the most stable, competitive electoral system on the planet. 
chris allen
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 12:16:47 AM »

Yes. There is not one shread of doubt in my mind that Al Gore won Florida. If the GOP wanted to have recounts in other close states, so be it. A vote is a vote and a vote should always be counted. If Gore, after the recount, still lost Florida so be it, but that recount never really happened, so there are still a lot pissed off Democrats.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 05:40:50 AM »

Yes, except for the unexplainable part.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 05:41:28 AM »

Yes. There is not one shread of doubt in my mind that Al Gore won Florida. If the GOP wanted to have recounts in other close states, so be it. A vote is a vote and a vote should always be counted. If Gore, after the recount, still lost Florida so be it, but that recount never really happened, so there are still a lot pissed off Democrats.

The GOP had a recount in NM.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 12:12:23 AM »

Would you care to site the source for your claim, in regard to the 2000 Presidential Election?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 01:29:23 AM »

Would you care to site the source for your claim, in regard to the 2000 Presidential Election?

Yawn, here you go.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0051/barrett.php
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 02:21:50 AM »

One county, not the entire state, which in terms of raw votes (but not percentage) was closer than FL.   Bush probably should have asked for a recount of the entire state.

Gore had recounts in several counties in FL, and those were hand recounts.

The yawning might indicative of a lack of blood flow to your brain, which could explain the delusional aspects of some of your posts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 02:29:25 AM »

One county, not the entire state, which in terms of raw votes (but not percentage) was closer than FL.   Bush probably should have asked for a recount of the entire state.

Gore had recounts in several counties in FL, and those were hand recounts.

The yawning might indicative of a lack of blood flow to your brain, which could explain the delusional aspects of some of your posts.

Spin spin spin, you hypocrite.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies