Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 03:56:57 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate
| | |-+  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Beet)
| | | |-+  Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky
Tolstoy   -7 (25%)
Dostoevsky   -21 (75%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky  (Read 3183 times)
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:10:45 pm »
Ignore

Tolstoy
Sibboleth Bist
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »
Ignore

I maintain that Demons is the greatest novel ever written, so...

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »
Ignore

Dostoevsky
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:35:48 pm »
Ignore

I've read a lot of Dostoyevsky and love him.  I've only read The Death of Ivan Ilyich from Tolstoy, so I can't really judge.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:00:13 pm »
Ignore

Tolstoy. The man told damn good stories, and told them in a plain, straightforward fashion. I have no patience for the guesswork required to decipher Dusty's dreams, symbols, and metaphors.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:40:34 pm »
Ignore

My experience with both is limited, but War and Peace is a much more memorable book than Crime and Punishment.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 04:09:07 pm »
Ignore

Only read Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, but though undoubtedly great, it did feel like a poor man's Dostoevsky. Tongue

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.55, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:09 pm »
Ignore

I'm researching Tolstoy for a project for World Cultures, so that's who I voted for Tongue

Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:36:50 am »
Ignore

Dostoevsky, Notes from the Underground is a great short novel, and The Brothers Karamazov is a great novel that changed my life. It's a close one though.

Criticism in a time of war is essential to the maintenance of any kind of democratic government.- Robert Taft
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:57 pm »
Ignore

Having read but one of the most famous books of one of these two authors, I absolutely am not qualified to comment myself.

However, one of my absolute favorite authors (the Wetterau's own Andreas Maier) names both of them among his favorite authors, and has commented on the very question of how they compare at length, so I'll just quote him at length.
The translation to follow from the original German will be mine and rather hurried, so bear with me.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 03:27:42 pm »
Ignore

Sheesh. This isn't coming out so well. The actual comparison is about a page, but he's going on about Dostoevski before and after and it's all sort of one thought and it isn't making much sense if I'm only sticking to the page that has Tolstoi in it. Sad

In summary he's saying that Tolstoi was incredibly versatile in style and supremely capable of dealing with all sort of subject matters, and it probably takes a writer to recognize just how much mastery goes into making it all seem so easy. While Dostoevski ploughs through ever the same subject matter, using ever the same techniques - and, in the original, a very direct, unpolished, even boorish language - but these few techniques he has refined "like a farmer his ploughing technique". But Maier happens to care about much the same subject matter (Dostoevski's views on fallen mankind), and of course Dostoevski's mastery at dialogue. He then also defends Dostoevski against some other charges  - like his characters are ever so exalted, there's such a lot of drunkenness going on etc pp. And Dostoevski's style is "redundant", something Maier admits: "He often needs fifty pages for something Tolstoi could have told you in one paragraph and in much more artful language and with much more seeming ease. This is because in Dostoevski's great novels the omniscient narrator's or else the nominal first person narrator's voice is very much sidelined" which you could make an argument out of that Dostoevski was simply the much more modern, 20th century, writer. Also Maier doesn't make that argument at all.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:25 pm »
Ignore

Dostoevsky

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »
Ignore

was not expecting a result this lopsided!
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 08:20:26 pm »
Ignore

Dostoevsky, but it's close. My absolute love for the entire concept of The Idiot won me over.

I think my favorite Tolstoy is actually 'How Much Land Does a Man Need?', if only for its absolutely [Inks]ing brilliant final line.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:37:50 pm by asexual trans victimologist »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:44 am »
Ignore

Voted for Dostoevsky, but I've never read any Tolstoy.

Can anyone suggest to me where I should start? I'm looking for something that'll grab me thematically but leave me wanting more, in the way that Notes from Underground lead me to Crime and Punishment which then lead me to The Brothers Karamazov and onward. (I share Nathan's appreciation for The Idiot.)

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 10:16:19 am »
Ignore

Can anyone suggest to me where I should start? I'm looking for something that'll grab me thematically but leave me wanting more, in the way that Notes from Underground lead me to Crime and Punishment which then lead me to The Brothers Karamazov and onward. (I share Nathan's appreciation for The Idiot.)

The Death of Ivan Ilyich
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 05:54:03 am »
Ignore

The Death of Ivan Ilyich

Finished that about a week ago or so. Once thesis is done I'll have me a bit more Tolstoy. I also recently read a weird Dostoevsky one with a lesbian subplot of sorts. Wondering if it might have been a pirated copy. Tongue

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
and all is well until the heart betrays
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:11 am »
Ignore

Both, but if to pick...
Dostoevsky

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 12:07:35 am »
Ignore

yeah the majority who chose D are fools at best enemies at worst
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 12:58:08 am »
Ignore

Eh.  I'm probably both from your perspective, so it fits.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 07:20:18 am »
Ignore

Eh.  I'm probably both from your perspective, so it fits.
Or any other perspective, really.

Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 05:14:42 pm »
Ignore

Longwinded, simple great vs over-the-top, emotional-precion great...

I've never finished any of their books, although I was enjoying The Gambler quite a bit.

There are two Russian books I've both finished and remembered: The Cancer Ward, and One Day in the life of Ivan Somethinovich, so I'll vote for Solzenitsyn.

I have reached the point in my life now where I'm pretty much only reading British authors with a handful of Australians thrown in. But to be honest, that's pretty much always been the case for me.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout