Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:13:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky
Tolstoy

Dostoevsky

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky  (Read 10055 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »

Having read but one of the most famous books of one of these two authors, I absolutely am not qualified to comment myself.

However, one of my absolute favorite authors (the Wetterau's own Andreas Maier) names both of them among his favorite authors, and has commented on the very question of how they compare at length, so I'll just quote him at length.
The translation to follow from the original German will be mine and rather hurried, so bear with me.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »

Sheesh. This isn't coming out so well. The actual comparison is about a page, but he's going on about Dostoevski before and after and it's all sort of one thought and it isn't making much sense if I'm only sticking to the page that has Tolstoi in it. Sad

In summary he's saying that Tolstoi was incredibly versatile in style and supremely capable of dealing with all sort of subject matters, and it probably takes a writer to recognize just how much mastery goes into making it all seem so easy. While Dostoevski ploughs through ever the same subject matter, using ever the same techniques - and, in the original, a very direct, unpolished, even boorish language - but these few techniques he has refined "like a farmer his ploughing technique". But Maier happens to care about much the same subject matter (Dostoevski's views on fallen mankind), and of course Dostoevski's mastery at dialogue. He then also defends Dostoevski against some other charges  - like his characters are ever so exalted, there's such a lot of drunkenness going on etc pp. And Dostoevski's style is "redundant", something Maier admits: "He often needs fifty pages for something Tolstoi could have told you in one paragraph and in much more artful language and with much more seeming ease. This is because in Dostoevski's great novels the omniscient narrator's or else the nominal first person narrator's voice is very much sidelined" which you could make an argument out of that Dostoevski was simply the much more modern, 20th century, writer. Also Maier doesn't make that argument at all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:20:18 AM »

yeah the majority who chose D are fools at best enemies at worst

Eh.  I'm probably both from your perspective, so it fits.
Or any other perspective, really.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies