Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:31:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should they?
Yes

No

Only in less severe cases

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Should prisoners be allowed to vote?  (Read 10041 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 09:27:44 PM »

Maybe count prisoners the way slaves were once counted, as not an entire person, but 2/3 of a person.
that's 3/5 of a person, not that it really matters.

Anyhow, I think prisoners should be able to vote after their sentence is over.  As far as voting in jail, is that even feasable?  I don't really oppose or support it.
GLOBAL DICTATOR
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 11:32:15 PM »

Maybe count prisoners the way slaves were once counted, as not an entire person, but 2/3 of a person.
that's 3/5 of a person, not that it really matters.

Anyhow, I think prisoners should be able to vote after their sentence is over.  As far as voting in jail, is that even feasable?  I don't really oppose or support it.
SORRY HARRY. You are right, it was 3/5ths.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 11:35:05 PM »

No
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2005, 12:10:50 AM »

I am a big fan of democracy, so of course I will say yes. Voting is a right worth more than life itself. Give me democracy or give me death!

This is why the voting age should be eliminated as well. Anyone who disagrees with me is that much closer to Hitler Cheesy

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 01:03:47 AM »

I am a big fan of democracy, so of course I will say yes. Voting is a right worth more than life itself. Give me democracy or give me death!

This is why the voting age should be eliminated as well. Anyone who disagrees with me is that much closer to Hitler Cheesy

The whole point in removing a convicted criminals right to vote is due to the fact that the criminal permaturely removed somebody elses constitutional rights. I don't have a problem giving back voting rights to someone who robbed or carjacked someone. But a murderer should never get back the right to vote. Ever.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 02:14:36 AM »

in Australia, all prisoners vote. There is a 100% turnout, because the AEC sets up booths in prison that they have to attend Tongue
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2005, 02:20:41 AM »

Funny I thought the whole elctorate were prisoners and convicts^^^^^^
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2005, 03:30:31 AM »

i could point out that over a quarter were born overseas and clearly came here after the convicts, or that whilst many australians do have some convict blood the amount of actual deportess was less then the British sent to North America, but I won't.

I'll just net-punch you instead. *punch*

Thats what Aussies are meant to do, right? Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 04:04:41 AM »

Funny I thought the whole elctorate were prisoners and convicts^^^^^^

I think Hughento is referring to the current situation, not the genetics.  ;-)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2005, 06:00:27 AM »

in Australia, all prisoners vote. There is a 100% turnout, because the AEC sets up booths in prison that they have to attend Tongue
Well, of course Australia has compulsory voting for everybody.
Nice to see the yes vote has picked up.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2005, 06:06:55 AM »

The whole point in removing a convicted criminals right to vote is due to the fact that the criminal permaturely removed somebody elses constitutional rights.
Of course this applies to a minority of prisoners only...even if you do count property rights.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The problem with stripping people's voting rights off is this...
Government, and laws, are morally justified by the consent of the governed. This consent is expressed, in our society, by the ballot.
Take away a man's right to vote and you take away your own moral right to punish him for any other crime he might later commit.
At least that's my point of view. Taking away a man's right to vote is just behind the death penalty in hideousness. Neither is compatible with a real democracy. (Oops, forget about that part. You support the death penalty, after all. Wink )

As for Earl's point on the voting age, yeah in theory I agree. There's some practical problems though...but personally I wouldn't object to lowering the voting age to 10 or 12.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2005, 08:01:40 AM »

While in prison they should not have the right to vote, when they commit a crime they effectively void certain rights under the law and until they have made penance for their crime(s) through the system, they should not have the right to vote.

Once they have been released I believe that they have served their dues and repaid their debt to society and should be allowed back into it and granted all rights lost during time in imprisonment.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2005, 04:15:32 PM »

The whole point in removing a convicted criminals right to vote is due to the fact that the criminal permaturely removed somebody elses constitutional rights. I don't have a problem giving back voting rights to someone who robbed or carjacked someone. But a murderer should never get back the right to vote. Ever.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2005, 05:48:31 PM »

But 3 rights make a left Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2005, 06:09:02 PM »

Yes, convicting people of crimes is a wrong. Free all the prisoners because we wouldn't want to fall into that logical theory of yours. Eh?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2005, 07:00:29 PM »

Yes, convicting people of crimes is a wrong. Free all the prisoners because we wouldn't want to fall into that logical theory of yours. Eh?

Convicting criminals is not wrong, not allowing them to vote is.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2005, 07:14:34 PM »

So its ok to brutally take someones rights away in an instant yet allow the animal murderer to have a say in anything? If we had more executions of these animals "voting rights" wouldnt be a concern.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2005, 07:58:20 PM »

I'm agree with states.  Many prisoners don't deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us moreless the franchise.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2005, 08:07:59 PM »

I'm agree with states.  Many prisoners don't deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us moreless the franchise.

Can some grammarian please fix the above sentence?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2005, 08:23:15 PM »

"I agree with States.  Many prisoners don't deserve to breath the sam air we do, much less exercise the franchise."

How's that?

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2005, 08:30:31 PM »

"I agree with States.  Many prisoners don't deserve to breath the sam air we do, much less exercise the franchise."

How's that?

Obliged.  I spent too much time in the business world cranking out quick memos   and my grammar has suffered tremendously.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2005, 11:19:55 PM »

So its ok to brutally take someones rights away in an instant yet allow the animal murderer to have a say in anything? If we had more executions of these animals "voting rights" wouldnt be a concern.

If we are going to allow prisoners the right to life, (even until they are executed) by allowing them shelter, nurishment, etc.., why not give them the right to vote as well? As I have mentioned, the right to vote is more important the life itself.

If we allow prisoners these few rights, even though they stole them from someone by murdering them, I don't see why voting should be excluded. Let's remember folks, voting is a fundemental right, not a privelege for the very few.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But they do breathe the same air we do, and well voting is like breathing - everyone must do it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2005, 12:15:11 AM »

Well, let's look at the murderer case for this: A murderer takes away a life. That life no longer can vote. So, why should the killer get to keep his right to vote if he has taken that right from another person?

And if voting isn't something everyone must do - there's a number of people who shouldn't vote(and thankfully many of them don't). There are great numbers of uninformed voters, who if they did vote would make uninformed decisions - do you really want idiots who have no idea what they are doing recklessly directing the course of the nation? Now I ask a similar question - do you want criminals directing the course of the nation?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2005, 12:27:22 AM »

Earl AW-hypothetical-If someone killed a family member of yours, you believe they should be able to vote on the same issues that the general populace does.  Inmates runninbg the asylum.  Crime can be an abstract concept to people until it hits them personally.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2005, 01:04:46 AM »

Voting is not a "right". Its a privledge much like driving is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies