The iPhone Economy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:59:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  The iPhone Economy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The iPhone Economy  (Read 1659 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

Interesting video posted on the New York Times website, which gives a nice, basic analysis of the changes that have taken place in manufacturing and the labor market in the U.S. in the last several decades.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/01/20/business/the-iphone-economy.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=thab1
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »

I certainly agree that the economic analysis of the video is not exhaustive, and ignores a lot of the multiplier complexities of trade and exports in a number of industries.  Sure, you get multiplier effects from jobs created in other countries, which is one major factor that makes trade deals desirable.  And I agree that competing forces are partly responsible for the situation we are in now.  But, another salient detail about the consequences of the export of manufacturing jobs to the domestic economy is that, compared to other kinds of jobs, manufacturing jobs have high multipliers.  In addition to that, in what is directly pertinent to the production of iPhones, as manufacturing jobs get exported, so do designers' jobs.  In fact, in Isaacson's recent biography of Steve Jobs, it was reported that Jobs, in advocating for more targeted education spending, actually complained to Obama about the surfeit of engineers that were being produced by the U.S., and thus the need to hire more factory workers in China and send designers there to direct them.  I guess the ultimate point that the video was driving at, in an overly simplistic way, is that one feature of our present employment problem in the U.S. has to do with a rising number of service workers, with low wages and mobility on one end of the employment spectrum, and highly skilled and well-paid workers on the other, with dwindling manufacturing jobs that otherwise would have high domestic multipliers--to demonstrate what effects this situation has on class mobility in the labor market.   
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »

It seems to me that the following report from 2009 is making largely the same points, particularly in its conclusions, as the Times video.

http://pcic.merage.uci.edu/papers/2008/InnovationAndJobCreation.pdf
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies