US House Redistricting: New Hampshire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:00:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: New Hampshire
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New Hampshire  (Read 4562 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »

I think this is the only non-At-Large state that doesn't have a thread yet, which isn't a surprise considering how uninteresting it likely is. Both districts are pretty equal already, but if the legislature decided to toss Bass under the bus, it's possible to the make the first a barely McCain district:

McCain won it by 273 votes.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »

I bet there were be very little movement - only a couple hundred need to be moved. NH Repubs technically could override a Lynch veto, but I doubt Repubs would overwhelmingly agree on a map like you posted.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:00:15 PM »

The Dems would probably love that map, since it would give them a close-to-safe district. NH-02 becomes 59-40 Obama.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »

The Dems would probably love that map, since it would give them a close-to-safe district. NH-02 becomes 59-40 Obama.

I dunno.  I think Democrats probably prefer to have both seats as competitive targets every year.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »

I guess it would have been possible (irrespective of partisan control of the state lege) if the seats had split in 2010. As is, non-starter.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »

Bass won with less than 50% and by under 2 points in a wave year. He's not surviving the entire decade obviously. Of course the legislature may not realize that or care.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:14:27 AM »

Hey, actual news. They're going for a least-change map.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 07:56:37 AM »

That pretty much leaves only Kansas, where the House leadership will not hear about putting the map the Senate already approved up for a vote, and doesn't have the votes to approve any other map either. (Though I guess some compromise will eventually emerge... or maybe not. If the thing ends up in court, it's hard to see an outcome much different from the Senate map.) Oh, and the House won't even pass the Senate's map for Senate redistricting.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »

D+1, if Bass is that worried by it?

That pretty much leaves only Kansas, where the House leadership will not hear about putting the map the Senate already approved up for a vote, and doesn't have the votes to approve any other map either. (Though I guess some compromise will eventually emerge... or maybe not. If the thing ends up in court, it's hard to see an outcome much different from the Senate map.) Oh, and the House won't even pass the Senate's map for Senate redistricting.

Wow, I knew the KS GOP infighting was bad, but not that bad.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »

Bass' district as is is basically winnable for most Democratic politicians in the state and Charlie Bass. Of course he would have liked some help - Guinta's is far more Republican, but not so Republican as to be not a tossup seat.

Funniest part about Kansas is that the State House leadership had no qualms about passing a quite fair and reasonable State House map with bipartisan support. Their policy objective here is to capture a majority of the Senate Republican Caucus, and they don't much care how it's done.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »

Bass was foolish to ask for too much. Now he will get nothing. Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »

They've come up with an agreement in the legislature.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Though it doesn't actually change the numbers any. The population deviation is +/-2.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »

Well I must say the DRA's works splendidly and instantly with no hangs in states with 2 CD's.  Smiley

NH-02 gains 10 Pub basis points, and moves from a 2.9% Dem PVI CD to a 2.8% Dem PVI CD (56.1% Obama to 56.0% Obama).

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »

So Bass doesn't survive till the end of the decade, and probably not even this year most likely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »

So Bass doesn't survive till the end of the decade, and probably not even this year most likely.

Toss up for this election coming up at the moment. Incumbents who are reasonably competent get about a 3 point tailwind, and Bass fits that bill I think, and so if the election nationally is about even, and Bass's opponent reasonably competent, that to me about equals a toss up.

Longer term, when the Pubs have a downturn, Bass will have to move into the "unusually talented" category, to wit a Gerlach or Dent from PA, to have a good chance of surviving for the decade.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »

Bass's performance in 2010 was pretty pathetic, and you can't use the excuse he's an incumbent now again since he already had been an incumbent for 12 years and was well known. The district seems to be sick of the guy, and with his circumstances he should be gone in the first non-GOP wave year.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 10:02:37 PM »

Well, the baseline in 2010 was 3.5% Pub, so if you subtract the 2.9% Dem PVI, that leaves a margin of about 0.6%, which times two, is a 1.2% margin, which is about where Bass was at, with no incumbency advantage manifested for the Dem incumbent (maybe erased because Bass was a former incumbent perhaps, but who knows?). In any event, an incumbency tailwind will have to manifest itself of Bass in a even partisan baseline environment, or yes, he will be gone. We shall see. I don't know the situation on the ground, or how supple Bass is at the moment, and so forth.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »

he's corrupt. You can put him in the "defeated" column come november imo. And good riddance too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »

he's corrupt. You can put him in the "defeated" column come november imo. And good riddance too.

What's the rap on him?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:10 AM »

Well, the baseline in 2010 was 3.5% Pub, so if you subtract the 2.9% Dem PVI, that leaves a margin of about 0.6%, which times two, is a 1.2% margin, which is about where Bass was at, with no incumbency advantage manifested for the Dem incumbent (maybe erased because Bass was a former incumbent perhaps, but who knows?).
Because the Dem incumbent was running for Senate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »

Well, the baseline in 2010 was 3.5% Pub, so if you subtract the 2.9% Dem PVI, that leaves a margin of about 0.6%, which times two, is a 1.2% margin, which is about where Bass was at, with no incumbency advantage manifested for the Dem incumbent (maybe erased because Bass was a former incumbent perhaps, but who knows?).
Because the Dem incumbent was running for Senate.

That is a very good reason.  Smiley
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »

What's the rap on him?

http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/mostcorrupt/entry/charles-bass-report

Normally, I'd never use CREW as a source since they are a far left hack group, but I can't find any other source :/ But I remember in 2010 my dad told me his race tightened up due to rumours of corruption during his previous tenure in Congress.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »

What's the rap on him?

http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/mostcorrupt/entry/charles-bass-report

Normally, I'd never use CREW as a source since they are a far left hack group, but I can't find any other source :/ But I remember in 2010 my dad told me his race tightened up due to rumours of corruption during his previous tenure in Congress.

Here is the point-counterpoint in a debate between the candidates. I suppose whether Bass's act was noisome or not depends on whether his $500,000 stock purchase in his nephew's company was a sweet heart purchase or fair market value. The purchase was obviously arranged prior to his leaving office, even if the stock transfer was a few days after he left office. While in office, the tax credit Bass spent a lot of time pushing would have benefited his nephew's company, albeit along with everyone else, so that question becomes important. And I think the burden of proof is on Bass to explain it was all arm's length. I would also like to know if the deal was prearranged while Bass was lobbying to kick in at some point, and if the price changed when the tax credit failed, and whether Bass had an option to buy or a contractual duty to buy.

I don't think Bass would like my questions if I were a reporter. Thanks for the heads up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies