Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 09:38:01 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  The Turn of the Century and on timeline (COMPLETE)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28 Print
Poll
Question: Rate the timeline
Great   -11 (17.5%)
Good   -23 (36.5%)
Poor   -5 (7.9%)
Bad, this needs to stop.   -23 (36.5%)
No opinion   -1 (1.6%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: The Turn of the Century and on timeline (COMPLETE)  (Read 35610 times)
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »
Ignore

President Thornton Very Close to Reelection. Kennedy Camp Must Face Possibly Not Winning a Single State.
Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 240        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

Welcome back as you can see, President Dan Thornton is very close though not there yet, very close to reelection. Senator Kennedy is yet to carry a single state across the country, and more disappointment, Hubert Humphrey wins in Massachussetts.Its not a fifty state sweep, we can project that at this 8 o'clock hour on the east coast as fifteen more states close their polls. Hubert Humphrey, the independent candidate has carried two states at this hour. However, major news headline, the democrats have to face the possibility, a possibility thats alive and working, the democrats might not carry a single state tonight. More to come we will have to wait and see, but that would be historic.

We have some projections at this hour, lets look them over.

Alabama. Something is happening in the south tonight, President Thornton wins in Alabama.

Dan Thornton
Alabama 11 electoral votes

Connecticut, the famous presidential belwhether state. This state is undecided, between Humphrey and Thornton. Kennedy coming in a distant third there. Undecided in Connecticut at this hour.

John F. Kennedy vs. Dan Thornton vs. Hubert Humphrey
Connecticut 8 electoral votes

Delaware, Humphrey thought he might be able to get that state, republicans thought that too. Not to be, Delaware goes to the republican.

Dan Thornton
Delaware 3 electoral votes

Illinois. More often than not a swing state in elections for the presidency, not the case tonight. President Thornton wins easily in Illinois.

Dan Thornton
Illinois 27 electoral votes

Maine, an upset here at least as of a year or six months ago. Hubert Humphrey wins in Maine tonight.

Hubert Humphrey
Maine 5 electoral votes

Massachussetts, the bay state. This will come as a surprise to everyone in the political world. Humphrey wins the bay state tonight.

Hubert Humphrey
Massachussetts 16 electoral votes

Maryland. A state thought to be competetive, not to be. Thornton walks away with an easy win there tonight.

Dan Thornton
Maryland 9 electoral votes

Mississippi, the south is indeed a surprise tonight. Dan Thornton wins in Mississippi.

Dan Thornton
Mississippi 8 electoral votes

Diddo in the show me state. Missouri goes for Thornton tonight.

Dan Thornton
Missouri 13 electoral votes

New Hampshire. Thornton doing very well there tonight, New Hampshire goes for the republican candidate.

Dan Thornton
New Hampshire 4 electoral votes

New Jersey. Jersey goes for the President.

Dan Thornton
New Jersey 16 electoral votes

Oklahoma. The south continues its tide at least with the presidency for President Dan Thornton

Dan Thornton
Oklahoma 8 electoral votes

Pennsylvania. Tonight is not a good night to be a democrat, Thornton wins the key stone state.

Dan Thornton
Pennsylvania 32 electoral votes

One more, Tennessee. The volunteer state goes for the republican, continuing the sweep of the south tonight.

Dan Thornton
Tennessee 11 electoral votes

Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 240        Humphrey: 21        266 needed to win

Just for the fun of it, summer 2014 reading: I am taking college courses both in July & did in May. I have read all of the material for those. Besides that I read Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story & the book on Kennedy & Nixon by Chris Matthews both cover to cover & before that One Last Kiss: The Chris Coleman Story. All very informative & entertaining books. I have started Rendevouz With Destiny By Craig Shirley.
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 23, 2012, 06:51:43 am »
Ignore

Welcome back. We will take you through some senate projections here, from states that closed their polls at the 8 o'clock hour. Lets look them over.

In Alabama, John Sparkman goes back to the senate. Another democrat holding back the republican tide. Sparkman wins in Alabama.

John Sparkman
Alabama Senate Election

In Delaware, Herbert Warburton, the former senator came back in a big way and wins back his senate seat. The republican tide was evident there.

Herbert Warburton
Delaware Senate Election

In Illinois. Sam Witwer the republican wins that seat, defeating incumbent democrat Paul Douglas. Douglas will not return to Washington.

Sam Witwer
Illinois Senate Election

In Maine, this will not be a surprise. Margaret Chase Smith goes back to Washington, defeating a little known democrat there.

Margaret Chase Smith
Maine Senate Election

Massachussetts, Leverett Saltonstall, the republican incumbent senator seeking another term will get it. Saltonstall returns to Washington.

Leverett Saltonstall
Massachussetts Senate Election

We have to go to a break, we will have more senate projections to tell you about when we come back. Election night 1960 coverage.

Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 240        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

election '60 coverage

Just for the fun of it, summer 2014 reading: I am taking college courses both in July & did in May. I have read all of the material for those. Besides that I read Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story & the book on Kennedy & Nixon by Chris Matthews both cover to cover & before that One Last Kiss: The Chris Coleman Story. All very informative & entertaining books. I have started Rendevouz With Destiny By Craig Shirley.
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:29 am »
Ignore

More senate calls now to share. In Mississippi, the veteran democrat John Eastland wins another term to the senate, holding that seat for the democrats.

James Eastland
Mississippi Senate Election

New Hampshire. Senator Bridges, the incumbent wins another term there. Bridges holds that seat for the republicans.

Styles Bridges
New Hampshire Senate Election

Diddo in New Jersey. The republican incumbent wins easily there.

Clifford Case
New Jersey Senate Election

In Oklahoma. This is an upset. Hayden Crawford wins there, the democratic incumbent Bob Kerr becomes another democrat to go down to defeat tonight.

Hayden Crawford
Oklahoma Senate Election

Estes Kefauver, the incumbent democrat wins in Tennessee tonight, holds that seat for democrats.

Estes Kefauver
Tennessee Senate Election

Lets look at our senate map. Republicans needed to win only nine contests to control the senate.

Republican: 49        Democrat: 30        50 needed for absolute majority

One away

Back in a moment.

Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 240        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

election '60 coverage
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:04:56 am by GPORTER »Logged

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2012, 04:16:22 pm »
Ignore

Any predictions or comments here? How does this election come out, does Kennedy go without carrying a single state?

coyolxauhqui
a Person
YaBB God
Costa Rica

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 17, 2012, 02:51:57 am »
Ignore

Oh, I thought you were using your other timelines to purposely bury this bizarre mess.

Your other current timelines are better. Go with those instead.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 18, 2012, 09:29:02 am »
Ignore

Good evening again, two more states have closed their polls at this hour and we can make declarations.

First in North Carolina, again the Humphrey campaign basically sunk the chances for the Kennedy campaign here as it did apparantly across the country. Dan Thornton does go on to win in North Carolina.

Dan Thornton
North Carolina 14 electoral votes

Arkansas. Another southern state going for the President, the republican wins in Arkansas tonight.

Dan Thornton
Arkansas 8 electoral votes

Lets turn again to our electoral map.
Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 262        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

Just before the 9 o'clock hour, how fitting is it. Connecticut, the state of Connecticut goes for President Thornton and that puts him over the electoral top. We can now declare Dan Thornton, former Colorado governor and now President of the United States, has been returned to the presidency for another four years. Thornton wins again tonight.

Dan Thornton

Dan Thornton
President of the United States
Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 270        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

This is a big moment and we will be back with more election coverage as polls close at the 9 o'clock hour, just to add to the President's victory column as expected.

Dan Thornton
President of the United States

election '60 coverage

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 18, 2012, 09:59:18 am »
Ignore

Welcome back, we can declare as you have already heard. Dan Thornton has been reelected tonight, the extent of that victory is yet to be decided. Questions still at this hour. Can Hubert Humphrey give a roughly strong showing tonight in the electoral count he already has been declared the winner in two states? John Kennedy, not good news at this hour. Does he even carry a single state, that is in doubt at this hour. A very jubliant mood in Denver at this hour, President Thornton declared the winner tonight in the election. Thornton by our projections at least has 359 electoral votes at this our. Lets look over the polls that have just closed now.

In Arizona, John Kennedy apparantly doing very poorly here tonight. President Thornton wins easily in Arizona.

Dan Thornton
Arizona 4 electoral votes

Same story in Colorado. Despite a strong showing as we see now for Hubert Humphrey, John Kennedy comes in a distant third here tonight. Thornton takes Colorado.

Dan Thornton
Colorado 6 electoral votes

Kansas. Kansas always a solid republican state does go again for the President.

Dan Thornton
Kansas 8 electoral votes

Another state, Louisiana. The south going very well for the President and it is here. Louisiana goes for Thornton.

Dan Thronton
Louisiana 10 electoral votes

In Michigan, there was some question here to call it for the President or not. Hubert Humphrey appears to find some strength here, but we decided that their was confidence enough that when all of the votes are in and counted President Thornton will win that state by at least a considerable margin.

Dan Thornton
Michigan 20 electoral votes

Minnesota, this state is as well all know the home state of Hubert Humphrey. Can he make a statement by carrying his home state? Does Thornton carry it? Can Kennedy make it his one state? Undecided at this hour in Minnesota.

John Kennedy vs. Dan Thornton vs. Hubert Humphrey
Minnesota 11 electoral votes

Nebraska, another strong republican state in the middle of the country. Dan Thornton takes that farm state easily of Nebraska.

Dan Thornton
Nebraska 6 electoral votes

New Mexico. A state where once Humphrey got into the race and on the ballot in all fifty states, didn't really see any competition. Thornton, Dan Thornton the now reelected President takes New Mexico.

Dan Thornton
New Mexico 4 electoral votes

New York. That state is one that people are probably watching now, that state is undecided at this hour. Thornton does lead there right now.

John Kennedy vs. Dan Thornton vs. Hubert Humphrey
New York 45 electoral votes

Would obviously be another big electoral vote boost for the President there if it were to go for him officially, undecided there despite a projected lead of the republican.

Rhode Island, that state is said to be competetive between Thornton and Humphrey. Undecided there at this hour.

John Kennedy vs. Dan Thornton vs Hubert Humphrey
Rhode Island 4 electoral votes

We can declare South Dakota to go for President Thornton.

Dan Thornton
South Dakota 4 electoral votes

Wisconsin. That state could go for the Humphrey camp. We say that as it is a state where he is competetive, but it is undecded at this hour.

John Kennedy vs. Dan Thronton. Hubert Humphrey
Wisconsin 12 electoral votes

Now we can declare Wyoming for the President.

Dan Thornton
Wyoming 3 electoral votes
Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 359        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

Our news stations have been waiting on us through that list of projections there to go to a break and we can now. Back in a moment.

Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 359        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

election '60 coverage

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2012, 09:57:03 am »
Ignore

Welcome back to election 1960 central, it is 10 o'clock on the east coast and polls have closed in a handfull of western states. We have some projections now.

In Utah, the President takes Utah tonight.

Dan Thornton
Utah 4 electoral votes

Diddo in Idaho, the President doing very well in the west tonight.

Dan Thornton
Idaho 4 electoral votes

Calling Montana. Dan Thornton wins in Montana tonight, no contest there.

Dan Thornton
Montana 4 electoral votes

Iowa. Iowa goes for the republican tonight.

Dan Thornton
Iowa 10 electoral votes

Nevada. Kennedy going down fast there tonight. Thornton takes Nevada.

Dan Thornton
Nevada 3 electoral votes

Two other projections now from earlier. New York, read it and weep if your a democrat, President Thornton wins that state tonight.

Dan Thornton
New York 45 electoral votes

Another call from Wisconsin. Hubert Humphrey had hoped for a victory there tonight but it was not to be. President Thornton adds Wisconsin to his victory column and carries the state.

Dan Thornton

Lets now pull up the electoral map.
Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 441        Humphrey: 21        269 needed to win

Back with more in a moment.

Dan Thornton
President of the United States of America

election night 1960 coverage

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2012, 02:48:49 pm »
Ignore

Welcome back again, we have two more declarations to make at this time. Minnesota a state Humphrey had obviously hoped to carry, we can say that President Thornton will narrowly carry the state.

Dan Thornton
Minnesota 11 electoral votes

He won't win Minnesota, but Vermont does go for Humphrey. President Thornton hoped to pull that state out but its not to be. Hubert Humphrey does go on to win in Vermont tonight.

Hubert Humphrey
Vermont 3 electoral votes
Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 452        Humphrey: 24        269 needed to win

We'll be back with more. Stay right here with us, we'll come back. Election night 1960 coverage

Kennedy: 0        Thornton: 452        Humphrey: 24        269 needed to win

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2012, 02:42:47 pm »
Ignore

The conclusion of election 1960 coming tonight.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 27, 2012, 07:11:53 am »
Ignore

Welcome back to our 1960 election coverage, where we are calling.

John Kennedy

Not sure how much ease to this night this projection will bring, but senator Kennedy will win at least one state tonight as he carries Rhode Island. Little rhody goes against the tide and gives its electoral votes to the democrat.

Now to some projections that came in at the 11 o'clock hour.

First in California, the golden state is golden for the republican tonight. Dan Thornton wins in California.

Dan Thornton
California 32 electoral votes

Diddo in North Dakota, the state goes for the republican.

Dan Thornton
North Dakota 4 electoral votes

Same story in Oregon. President Thornton carries that state.

Dan Thornton
Oregon 6 electoral votes

Undecided between the candidates in Washington state at the top of the hour. Thornton expected to win that state, probably the one shaky state for him on the west coast. Undecided in Washington state at this hour.

John Kennedy vs Dan Thornton vs Hubert Humphrey
Washington 9 electoral votes

Same story in Hawaii, undecided there at this hour.

John Kennedy vs Dan Thornton vs Hubert Humphrey
Hawaii 3 electoral votes
Kennedy: 4        Thornton: 494        Humphrey: 24        269 needed to win

Back with our panel in a moment.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 27, 2012, 09:42:42 am »
Ignore

We can declare now Washington state for the President of the United States.

Dan Thornton
Washington 9 electoral votes

Lets look again at the electoral map.
Kennedy: 4        Thornton: 503        Humphrey: 24        269 needed to win

More coming up shortly. Stay here with us, we'll come back.

Kennedy: 4        Thornton: 503        Humphrey: 24        269 needed to win

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 27, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »
Ignore

We have the final two projections of the night. One is an upset.

In Alaska, the polls have closed there. President Thornton easily wins in Alaska tonight.

Dan Thornton
Alaska 3 electoral votes

Finally in Hawaii. Mr. Humphrey benefits from his share in the democratic vote. Hubert Humphrey narrowly wins in Hawaii tonight.

Hubert Humphrey
Hawaii 3 electoral voes

Lets take a final look at the electoral map tonight.
Kennedy: 4        Thornton: 506        Humphrey: 27        269 needed to win

President Thornton has a big win tonight, Kennedy will stay in the senate after a loss that is certainly bigger than expected. Mr. Humphrey proved again to be a strong force as an independent. Humphrey will loose his senate seat tonight as is projected. Thank you to everyone for reading.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2012, 02:50:53 pm »
Ignore

Final 1960 Election Results

President:

Senate:
Republican: 61        Democrat: 39        51 needed for absolute majority

House:
Republican: 164        Democrat: 262        213 needed for absolute majority

election 1960 summary

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »
Ignore

1962 Mid Term Election Results

Senate:
Republican: 49        Democrat: 51        51 needed for absolute majority

House:
Republican: 136        Democrat: 290        213 needed for absolute majority

election 1962 results

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2012, 10:47:42 am »
Ignore

President Thornton enjoyed a sweeping reelection victory and a republican senate following the 1960 elections. Republicans would cry however when a recession hit in 1962, the democrats needed twelve seats to retake the senate that year and in a dramatic turn of events, they picked up exactly twelve seats. Democrats were back in control of congress. The recession would end in late spring and early summer of 1963.

As the 1964 elections approached, the outcome appeared to be unpredictable. President Dan Thornton was term limited and therefore could not run for reelection. This fact made for a host of candidates running for both the republican and democratic nominations for President. For the republicans, vice president Caleb Boggs would go on to win the republican nomination for President. Boggs would take Indiana secertary of state Edgar Whitcomb as his running mate. The Boggs/Whitcomb ticket was nominated at the republican national convention that summer.

For the democrats, the party saw a return of former President Okey Patterson to the fold. Patterson surprised many pundits, but pleased his supporters as he announced his candidacy for the nomination. The primary season was challenging, but Patterson survived and was renominated for the third time by the democratic party for President. Patterson took California governor Pat Brown as his running mate.

And for the independent party. Former Mississippi governor Ross Barnett would run and secure the nomination for President from the independent party. Barnett would take South Carolina governor Bob McNair as his running mate.

The campaign was a heated one that began with a big Boggs lead. As election day approached, Patterson in a dramatic turn would close the gap in the polls. Does former President Patterson return to power, winning the presidency and becoming the first President since Grover Cleveland to serve two non consecutive terms? Or does Vice President Boggs do what many think he will, and win the presidency in his own right? These questions and more to be answered as election night 1964 coverage begins next.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:08:07 am by GPORTER »Logged

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:23 am »
Ignore

Election 1964 Eve
Good evening. No, this is not the start of our election night coverage, that starts about this time tomorrow night. No this is the evening news here to bring you what some might call an introduction and brief overview of where we stand going into election day and election night 1964. Our election panel is here tonight. On election night, we tend to get caught up in all of the excitment as polls close across the country and projections are made, winners and loosers. We get so caught up in that, that we forget to turn to our panel often on election night. We are going to hear from them in this segment discussing the election taking place tomorrow.

Election campaign 1964 has seen a popular vice president looking for a promotion, but first he needs to get past a former president looking to reclaim the job that he once held. Okey Patterson, a man who started out as a democratic operative in West Virgnia only to win two terms as governor of that state. If you remember, Patterson defeated the odds in 1952 when he beat Oklahoma congressman Ross Rizley for the presidency, extending what was already a twenty year hold for the democrats on the White House. Patterson faced democratic fatigue in 1956 and lost that year to a little known Colorado governor, now outgoing President Dan Thornton. Patterson left politics and became a political commentator until this year when he decided to give the presidency another try.

Caleb Boggs is a former Delaware governor who became vice president on a ticket headed by Thornton in 1956. The ticket was returned to office in a resounding victory over senator John Kennedy and former senator Hubert Humphrey. Humphrey devestatingly split the democratic vote four years ago allowing President Thornton to win one of the most sweeping victories for an incumbent in American history. Faced with brief economic problems, the country is now on economic rebound, at least according to the vice president. Caleb Boggs proves a strong candidate in this election year.

Lets show you now, this is a final polling map for the country from a poll taken on Friday. Lets show it to you now.

Patterson: 149        Boggs: 156        Barnett: 46        270 needed to win

Lets now bring in our panel. At least from that map, the vice president seems to be maintaining his lead in the polls.

He does and I think vice president Boggs has a very good chance of being President elect in the next forty-eight hours. He has a strong hold on the west, and is holding his own in the south despite the strong showing of the independent candidate there. If Patterson starts to loose some of these undecided states in the east, he can say goodbye to another term in the White House.

Illinois and Ohio are going to be critical states for both sides here on election night. Does Patterson have a chance in either of them?

I think he does. What the democratic camp is going to be watching is the big city vote in both states. Chicago and Cook county in Illinois. Colombus and Cincinati in Ohio. Missouri might be a little bit easier to win for him or Maryland. But, when you look at the electoral vote count. Missouri and Maryland are nice consolation prizes for the former President, but he knows as do both sides that Illinois and Ohio, if Patterson wins Missouri and Maryland but Boggs wins Illinois and Ohio, its very difficult to get the former President to 270 electoral votes.

We have to go here panel, I'm sorry you will be here with us tomorrow night. But one more question, we saw an election go to the house of representatives in 1948, could it happen again this election cycle?

When you look at that electoral vote count, its a close race in that sense between Boggs and Patterson, with an edge going to the republican. There are some undecided states out there, if this race remains as close as it is according to these polls and Barnett can win some of these undecided southern states, I'd say another election in the house is a real possibility.

One final thought. No way Boggs could win in the house?

The lower chamber is much more democratic than the senate, I would say its very unlikely.

Thank you panel and thanks to our readers. Back with the start of election night coming up.

campaign '64

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
Ignore

7 o'clock hour brings only scattered returns. Boggs Narrow Lead.
Good evening, here for another exciting election night coverage. The candidates today, all three of them went to the polls along with millions of Americans to vote, and now they can only wait for the verdict. Polls closed moments ago in six states and we have some information to share with you.

In Georiga. This is a state that looked competetive early in the campaign, Barnett began to pull away in the final weeks and he carries it. Georgia goes for the independent, Ross Barnett tonight.

Ross Barnett
Georgia 12 electoral votes

Like wise a projection for the vice president. Vermont, this far eastern state goes for the republican candidate tonight by our projections.

Caleb Boggs
Vermont 3 electoral votes

Kentucky, the bluegrass state. Its undecided in this appalachin state at this hour.

Okey Patterson vs. Caleb Boggs vs. Ross Barnett
Kentucky 9 electoral votes

Diddo in Indiana. This is a surprise, Boggs was thought to have a pretty sizable lead there going into tonight. Undecided also in Indiana.

Indiana 13 electoral votes

South Carolina, another state where polls have closed. It is said to be a very close race between Boggs and Barnett there at this hour, Patterson lagging a little bit there, but still competetive.

South Carolina 8 electoral votes

Virgnia, I knew there was one we were missing in that line up. Polls have closed in Virgnia and Caleb Boggs, the incumbent vice president seeking a promotion. Will he get it? With only six states reporting, we can't say yet. But, this will help, Virgnia goes for the vice president.

Caleb Boggs
Virgnia 12 electoral votes

Now to look at our electoral map for the first time tonight, Boggs leading.
Patterson: 0        Boggs: 15        Barnett: 12        270 needed to win

We will be back with our panel.

Yeah right...

I promise, back in a moment. Stay here with us.

Patterson: 0        Boggs: 15        Barnett: 12        270 needed to win

election night 1964 coverage

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2012, 02:06:09 pm »
Ignore

Good evening, polls have closed in two more states. First in Ohio, the was a competetive battleground state throughout the election campaign and polls showed a dead heat going into election day there. The race is undecided in Ohio tonight.

Ohio 26 electoral votes

We can declare a winner in West Virgnia. The former President, Okey Patterson wins in West Virgnia. First time getting on the board tonight.

Okey Patterson
West Virgnia 7 electoral votes
Patterson: 7        Boggs: 15        Barnett: 12        270 needed to win

To our panel for a moment.

Must feel good for democrats getting electoral votes on the board at this hour. They had a hard time with that four years ago.

Any trend at this hour?

A handfull of states where polls have closed are undecided, there is a higher Wallace vote than expected according to exit polls. See if that has any affect and to what side.

Back in a moment.

West Virgnia (projected result):
Patterson: 50%
Boggs: 38%
Barnett: 13%

Georgia (projected result):
Patterson: 27%
Boggs: 27%
Barnett: 46%

election 1964 coverage

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 01, 2012, 06:29:49 pm »
Ignore

Good evening again we have another projection to make. Okey Patterson has carried the state of Ohio tonight. The buckeye state drops for the former president tonight. Patterson wins in Ohio.

Okey Patterson
Ohio 26 electoral votes

We have some other projections to make at this hour. Alabama, a state where there really was no contest. Governor Barnett wins there easily tonight.

Ross Barnett
Alabama 10 electoral votes

We can say at this hour that the state of Connecticut is undecided. Too close to call in this classic presidential belwhether state, some polls showed the state changing, we can't say that yet. Connecticut is undecided at this hour.

Same story in Delaware despite this being the vice president's home state. Undecided in the state of Connecticut.

Delaware.

Delaware yes I'm sorry, you knew what I meant. Undecided between the three, well in both Connecticut and Delaware.

One place we can declare a winner in tonight. Patterson wins the District of Columbia, no contest there tonight.

Okey Patterson
District of Columbia 3 electoral votes

A lot undecided at this hour. Florida, the sunshine state is also undecided between the three candidates at this hour.

Florida 14 electoral votes

Illinois, expected to be a competetive state tonight by all polling is close tonight. Undecided at this hour in Illinois.

Illinois 26 electoral votes

Maine maine, the state of Maine. Too close to call in the state of Maine.

Maine 4 electoral votes

Same story in Maryland. Maryland is undecided at this hour.

Maryland 10 electoral votes

We can declare a winner in the state of Massachussetts. Patterson wins the bay state.

Okey Patterson
Massachussetts 14 electoral votes

This just coming in. We can declare a winner in Maine. Boggs, the republican takes Maine.

Caleb Boggs
Maine 4 electoral votes

We can declare a winner in Mississippi. Governor Barnett takes his home state tonight.

Ross Barnett
Mississippi 7 electoral votes

Its undecided tonight in the show me state. Too close to call at this hour in Missouri.

Missouri 12 electoral votes

We declare a winner in New Hampshire. Vice President Boggs takes the granite state.

Caleb Boggs
New Hampshire 4 electoral votes

New Jersey, the garden state is undecided at this hour.

New Jersey 17 electoral votes

Oklahoma. Will the independent candidacy reach as far as Oklahoma? Its undecided tonight at this hour.

Pennsylvania. There are only so many ways to say this, just one, undecided.

Pennsylvania 29 electoral votes

Tennessee. The volunteer state, Barnett is expected to run strong there tonight. Its too early to call in tennessee. Not enough votes to say anything about the projection there.

All of these undecided states, call one. Texas for Patterson. Okey Patterson, this will come as a little bit of a surprise, especially with such a scattered set of returns. The lone star state drops for Patterson at this early hour.

Okey Patterson
Texas 25 electoral votes

Lets go to the electoral map.
Patterson: 73        Boggs: 23        Barnett: 29        270 needed to win

Well quite the change in emotion. Boggs goes from leading, with Patterson having nothing. Now Patterson leads both of them, the other major party candidate by fifty electoral votes.

I don't really know what to say. Maine and Massachussetts both going to the respective sides, thats pretty much expected. Alabama and Mississippi going by wide margins for Barnett, thats pretty much expected. Texas and Ohio while Indiana is whats throwing me for a loop. Intersting night at least thus far.

Back in a moment.

Patterson: 73        Boggs: 23        Barnett: 29        270 needed to win

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2012, 09:40:26 am »
Ignore

We have a few more projections here that might take us back to normal, then again maybe not.

In Connecticut, that old great presidential belwhether. Is it right this time? Who can say, but if goes for Patterson. Okey Patterson wins in Connecticut tonight.

Okey Patterson

The hoosier state. Indiana goes for the republican vice president Caleb Boggs.

Caleb Boggs
Indiana 13 electoral votes

We can call Tennessee, the volunteer state. Governor Ross Barnett wins the southern state of Tennessee.

Ross Barnett

We can declare another one for the republican. Vice President Boggs takes Oklahoma.

Caleb Boggs

Pennsylvania? A call there? no. We can call Maryland for the  democrat tonight.

Okey Patterson
Maryland 10 electoral votes

Lets now take another look at the electoral map.
Patterson: 93        Boggs: 44        Barnett: 40        270 needed to win

We'll be right back. Stay here with us, we'll come back.

Patterson: 93        Boggs: 44        Barnett: 40        270 needed to win

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:23 am »
Ignore

Back at election 1964 central, as we are calling Florida for the vice president. This was a state that the Patterson camp earlier had some hope in but as election day approached Boggs opened up a lead here. Caleb Boggs helps his chances tonight by taking the state of Florida.

Caleb Boggs
Florida 14 electoral votes
Patterson: 93        Boggs: 58        Barnett: 40        270 needed to win

Join us again in a moment. Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Rhode Island, New York, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Louisiana. Did I get them all?

I think so.

All of those states listed close their polls in just moments. Come right back here with us for that. Stay with us, we'll come back.

Patterson: 93        Boggs: 58        Barnett: 40        270 needed to win

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 03, 2012, 11:54:25 am »
Ignore

Welcome back to election night 1964 coverage. Polls have closed in a collection of states and we have some projections to tell you about.

First in Arkansas. This was a state where the democrat thought he might have a chance, but it was not to be. Ross Barnett, governor of Mississippi takes the state of Arkansas tonight.

Ross Barnett
Arkansas 6 electoral votes

Another southern state but with a different story. North Carolina, Boggs faced a stiff challenge especially from the independent candidate here. We can project now that he holds on, Caleb Boggs wins in North Carolina. That will help his prospects, holding back the southern independent tide and carrying North Carolina.

Caleb Boggs
North Carolina 13 electoral votes

Back to the independents in Louisiana, Barnett easily takes the state.

Ross Barnett
Louisiana 10 electoral votes

A winner in Minnesota can be declared. Former President Patterson, the democrat takes this state, by a wide margin.

Okey Patterson
Minnesota 10 electoral votes

Boggs didn't even have an office there in Minnesota during the last month of the campaign, conceeding that state to the democrats. In Michigan, this state was thought to be going pretty well for Patterson, may still do that but its undecided at this hour.

Michigan 21 electoral votes

Thats a big prize in Michigan tonight. Wisconsin, another state that is competetive tonight. It is said that if the republican candidate were to loose here tonight, its very tough to win. Undecided at this hour in Wisconsin.

Lets get away from all of that serious business. Kansas, considered one of the most republican states in the nation. Vice President Boggs wins big here.

Caleb Boggs
Kansas 7 electoral votes

Diddo as we like to say in Nebraska. Boggs wins in Nebraska.

If the east is tough, the heart land of America is where the republican can pick up and make up some ground.

Caleb Boggs
Nebraska 5 electoral votes

A winner in South Dakota. A close race, probably not. Caleb Boggs wins in this plains state.

Caleb Boggs
South Dakota 4 electoral votes

A little bit of bad news for republicans at this hour. Patterson wins New York. The state that helped spell defeat for him in 1956 might help him tonight. New York goes for the democratic candidate tonight.

Okey Patterson
New York 43 electoral votes

Same story in Rhode Island. Little rhody goes for Patterson.

Okey Patterson

A winner in New Mexico. Boggs wins that state.

Caleb Boggs
New Mexico 4 electoral votes

Arizona also gives its votes to the republican.

Caleb Boggs
Arizona 5 electoral votes

Colorado. Boggs led here going into the final days, we are not prepared to declare a winner there however a this hour. Its undecided in Colorado.

And Wyoming. Boggs, the republican wins this small western state.

A small state but if this election turns out to be really close, this could be the difference.

Caleb Boggs
Wyoming 3 electoral votes
Patterson: 150        Boggs: 99        Barnett: 56        270 needed to win

Have we had any election where a state like Wyoming did decide an election?

I could think of Al Smith's victory in 1932. That was a very close election, I remember it was Florida and Illinois. Florida went to the republican, but Illinois fell to Smith in the late vote count and the democrat won that election very narrowly.

I think of 1940. Roosevelt beating another former President because a state considered to be republican went to the democrat. 1936 was no landlide either.

Franklin Roosevelt beat former President Lowden in 1940 by a narrow margin, but the Roosevelt margin expanded in 1944 when he beat Thomas Dewey by a wide margin that year.

And then he won again in 1948 but through the house of representatives. I'm told we can call Colorado. This western state was never really contested this year. For what it matters our calling it for the vice president takes the republican over 100 electoral votes.

Patterson making some big news by winning New York as the polls close, but still a handfull of states to watch.

I'm sure this election will keep getting interesting as the night goes along. Back in a moment.

Caleb Boggs

Patterson: 150        Boggs: 105        Barnett: 56        270 needed to win

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 04, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »
Ignore

A big comeback for vice president Caleb Boggs. As polls close at 10 o'clock on the east coast, we can declare four states of the five which are closing their polls at this hour. Lets look them over.

First in Utah, one of the most republican states in the country. Utah will give its electoral votes to republican vice president Caleb Boggs.

Caleb Boggs
Utah 4 electoral votes

We can also declare the state of Idaho for Boggs. Idaho will give its electoral votes to the republican candidate.

Caleb Boggs
Idaho 4 electoral votes

There is one state left undecided at this hour whose polls have just closed. This is in Montana, Patterson didn't expect to have much of a chance here, we'll have to find out what exactly is the case. Undecided at this hour in Montana.

We can declare the state of Iowa for the republican. This was expected, Boggs wins this farm state rather easily at this hour.

Caleb Boggs
Iowa 9 electoral votes

We can also call the state of Nevada for the republican. This was a state where former President Patterson thought he would have a chance tonight but apparantly its not to be. Caleb Boggs wins also in Nevada tonight.

Caleb Boggs
Nevada 3 electoral votes

Patterson: 150        Boggs: 125        Barnett: 56        270 needed to win

Still pretty far behind in the electoral vote count, but a gain is a gain.

Historically, returns like this are predictable. 1916, Gallinger was far behind President Marshall early in the evening and even into the night. The late returns actually declared the republican President until Oregon flipped in the absentee voting. Both Smith elections, the republican candidates were far behind until later in the evening. I wouldn't be too concerned at this hour if I were the Boggs camp.

Back in a moment.

Patterson: 150        Boggs: 125        Barnett: 56        270 needed to win

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:26 pm »
Ignore

We can declare the state of Montana for Boggs. Caleb Boggs does what was expected of him and carries Montana.

Caleb Boggs

A few projections to make here. First in the bluegrass state, one of the first states to close their polls tonight. Boggs finally carries Kentucky.

Caleb Boggs
Kentucky 9 electoral votes

Another call to make in Missouri. The show me state, not a disaster for the republicans here but its enough for Patterson to hold his lead. Okey Patterson carries Missouri as he did in the 1950s.

Okey Patterson
Missouri 12 electoral votes

Delaware. The vice president's home state, one that the republicans expected to go to them, the democrats agreed with that. But, boy did they want to make sure they had it tonight, on a night like this. The vice president takes his home state.

Caleb Boggs

Patterson: 162        Boggs: 141        Barnett: 56        270 needed to win

This comes as we have another major declaration and it is for the former President. Okey Patterson wins in Illinois. This will be a major victory and I can hear a sigh of relief coming from Charleston tonight.

That is great news for the democratic camp. There was fear that Illinois and Ohio would both go to Boggs tonight, but they have gone back to the democrats in this election.

The Patterson camp still has reason for concern as the returns are tightening in Michigan and Pennsylvania, Boggs leads in New Jersey and the west coast which is still yet to come, the coast is expected to be Boggs country.

Okey Patterson
Illinois 26 electoral votes
Patterson: 188        Boggs: 141        Barnett: 56        270 needed to win

Election night 1964 coverage continues in a moment.

Patterson: 188        Boggs: 141        Barnett: 56        270 needed to win

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout