Reaction to Newt's loss to Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:30:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Reaction to Newt's loss to Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reaction to Newt's loss to Obama  (Read 1115 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »

Newt Gingrich, it seems, has the momentum now.

For how many days, who knows.

Anyway, looking a bit forward, he obviously won't beat Obama.

How will Republicans react to this in a broader sense?

Will they just heap all the blame on Gingrich himself for all his personal flaws?

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »

Was just discussing this with my brother...

They'll claim he's the good, conservative candidate (that he's not) throughout the primary and general, then when he's crushed, they'll start picking out his many flaws and moderate views and say that's the reason he lost.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:30:41 AM »

They'll claim he's the good, conservative candidate (that he's not) throughout the primary and general, then when he's crushed, they'll start picking out his many flaws and moderate views and say that's the reason he lost.

Sadly, this is exactly what's going to happen.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:02 AM »

Sadly, this is exactly what's going to happen.

The far right is delusional, yes.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:28 AM »

The only correct answer is he wasn't conservative enough....
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:33:03 AM »

I don't think even Barry Goldwater could be nominated in the current Republican environment.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:52:09 AM »

I don't think even Barry Goldwater could be nominated in the current Republican environment.

"When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party away from the Republican Party, and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »

"When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party away from the Republican Party, and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."

I have a similar quote from Barry under my Democrat icon on Facebook. Smiley

"I don't have any respect for the Religious Right. There is no place in this country for practicing religion in politics. That goes for Falwell, Robertson and all the rest of these political preachers. They are a detriment to the country." - Barry Goldwater
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 01:12:03 AM »

The only correct answer is he wasn't conservative enough....
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:19 AM »

Probably will just blame it on vote fraud.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:07:35 AM »

The Republican establishment set him up for failure...Karl Rove to be blamed, others.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »

I'm going to spend all day of that Wednesday listening to right wing talk radio.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2012, 10:31:09 AM by Politico »

Gingrich supporters are backing Gingrich because they WANT four more years of Obama. They want to complain about everything and everyone because that is all they know how to do. They love to hate Obama, and what would they do without that? And they would love to see Obama shamed in his second term more than simply beating him now. To hell with the nation taking a hit in the meantime. The nation comes second to their partisan hatred.

In your heart, you know I'm right.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »

How will Republicans react to this in a broader sense?

The WSJ offered a tepid endorsement of Huntsman some time back.  They'll no doubt credit's Obama's win to the weakness and belicosity of his challenger.  The editorials might read something like "...with a nine percent unemployment rate and a 52 percent disapproval rating, President Obama should have been an easy target for the GOP, but the political suicide machine is a well-oiled and effective one, and the Republicans have used it yet again to ensure a GOP defeat.  This is particularly unfortunate since the GOP will control both chambers of the congress and it might have meant our best chance to derail President Obama's legislative agenda, including the controversial medical care reform bill..."

Others, including 6 governors, 15 senators, and a boatload of house members, have endorsed Romney.  They'll probably conclude that Romney would have made a better candidate.  But most of them will have voted for Gingrich in the general election and can't be too harsh on him.  Other influential republican sympathizers, such as the talking heads on Fox News that have endorsed Romney, will make similar arguments. 

In the end, the rank-and-file republicans, those who don't hold offices or host talk shows but who voted in the primaries, will likely point to a combination of factors, including the weakness of the field that led them to nominate Gingrich, as well as a rebounding economy and the aptly-named Campaign Finance Reform Bill that so reformed campaign financing that it allows millions of unaccountable dollars to speak for and against candidates.  They probably won't speak of Obama as a better candidate, even if that turns out to have been the case. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »

A typical reaction would be: it's all because Gingrich wasn't conservative enough. Let's nominate a true conservative next time!

We're the new liberals of the Republican party. Can you imagine that? - Barry Goldwater to Bob Dole, 1996

And nowdays, I suppose Barry Goldwater is a communist.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »

Gingrich supporters are backing Gingrich because they WANT four more years of Obama. They want to complain about everything and everyone because that is all they know how to do. They love to hate Obama, and what would they do without that? And they would love to see Obama shamed in his second term more than simply beating him now. To hell with the nation taking a hit in the meantime. The nation comes second to their partisan hatred.

In your heart, you know I'm right.
Well, yeah. They are Republicans, after all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »

And nowdays, I suppose Barry Goldwater is a communist.
That depends on what conception of the afterlife you adhere to.
Jacobtm

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »

Gingrich supporters are backing Gingrich because they WANT four more years of Obama. They want to complain about everything and everyone because that is all they know how to do. They love to hate Obama, and what would they do without that? And they would love to see Obama shamed in his second term more than simply beating him now.

''According to GOP sources, the decision to cede the 2012 election to Obama came after rank-and-file Republicans agreed that grinding the president down to nothing and pushing him to the brink of insanity was far more in line with the Republican Party's core principles than actually controlling the White House, making laws, or governing the country.''

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-gop-strategy-involves-reelecting-obama-making,21113/
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »

They will blame libertarian GOPers for not being team players.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »

I don't think even Ronald Reagan could be nominated in the current Republican environment.

Fixed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies