Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 02:29:51 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 93 Print
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 112179 times)
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2012, 12:34:54 pm »
Ignore

Why not just get rid of the Lords and be done with it? The current legislative system doesn't seem to be crying out for an effective second house.
Your right, but Britain is way to conservative a country for that to happen. They rarely scrap institutions, just transform them.

You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2012, 08:39:53 am »
Ignore

Funny how France is about to elect a left-wing, party back-room geek, who's never been truely respected by the upper-echlons, who no one ever thought would be President and who is sans charisma against a "smooth-operating", "modernising", "cool" right-wing incumbent, who's increasingly grown to be seen as a bully and has led a party who's only achievement in 5 years is a crap round of cuts and barely anything else.

Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »
Ignore

If I had my way, I'd reform the Lords... back to 1910.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2012, 04:41:46 pm »
Ignore

Your act is now actively embarrassing. Grow up.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2012, 05:21:57 pm »
Ignore

Your act is now actively embarrassing. Grow up.

Sarcasm.

But you know what? You seem to have an active distaste for some people, namely me. What is so terrible about the idea some people think that maybe, just maybe, some things were better in the past, and that not every bit of progress is a good thing? Or people who prefer to use a vocabulary that more precise and succinct, "fancy" if that's your thing, than average. Or those that enjoy certain parts of culture and dislike others. Perhaps you, sir, ought to "grow up" and be more tolerant and aware of viewpoints that are not your own.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:50:06 pm by Severe Simfan34 »Logged

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2012, 06:52:32 pm »
Ignore

Sarcasm.

Haha. Your general affectations mean that you've given up any right to claim that that's the case in this case. Sorry.

But you know what? You seem to have an active distaste for some people, namely me. What is so terrible about the idea some people think that maybe, just maybe, some things were better in the past, and that not every bit of progress is a good thing? Or people who prefer to use a vocabulary that more precise and succinct, "fancy" if that's your thing, than average. Or those that enjoy certain parts of culture and dislike others. Perhaps you, sir, ought to "grow up" and be more tolerant and aware of viewpoints that are not your own.

Thanks for proving my point.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2012, 07:28:31 pm »
Ignore

Sarcasm.

Haha. Your general affectations mean that you've given up any right to claim that that's the case in this case. Sorry.

You're free to believe whatever you'd like. To be honest, a House of Lords as spayed and neutered as the one today has no reason to exist. It really is a Senate whose life members have taken on noble titles, nothing more; there is no real reason for more than one house meant to represent more than one interest group- and today's Lords represents no one, really. Frankly, if you're going to have a pointless institution, it might as well be interesting. This is also the root of my dislike for non-executive presidencies.

Thanks for proving my point.

And that point would be? That what I just said is embarrassing and immature? In what way? The only negative tone here is your condescension.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:40:31 pm by Severe Simfan34 »Logged

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:26 am »
Ignore

The Indie today throwing out a rumour today saying Dave M's going back to Shadow Foreign when Ed reshuffles the ShadCab.

I don't see it, we've been here before.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2012, 11:40:27 am »
Ignore

If he wants it, it's his though. Which has always been so. Easier now that ShadCab is not elected.

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2012, 11:43:41 am »
Ignore

Hope we'll see the back of Liam Byrne though, even with Birmingham voting no to a mayor.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2012, 11:46:22 am »
Ignore

Hope we'll see the back of Liam Byrne though, even with Birmingham voting no to a mayor.

Well if even you think he should go... Cheesy

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »
Ignore

Tomorrow's Indie will have an interview with Caroline Lucas in which she'll announce she's standing down as Leader of the Greens.

Anyone care?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:06:41 pm by Le changement! C'est maintenant! »Logged

Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2012, 06:03:59 pm »
Ignore

Of course.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/may/13/liberal-democrat-labour-ed-miliband

Something I've been consistently arguing - it's a shame but I become increasingly worried that it's only a matter of time before they're alienated again and this once in a generation opportunity will be scuppered, as the Blairites will almost certainly win out. [/pessimism]

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2012, 06:18:48 pm »
Ignore

Of course.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/may/13/liberal-democrat-labour-ed-miliband

Something I've been consistently arguing - it's a shame but I become increasingly worried that it's only a matter of time before they're alienated again and this once in a generation opportunity will be scuppered, as the Blairites will almost certainly win out. [/pessimism]

Yes, 2015 will see a re-alignment, win or lose.

Labour have gained voters since the election, from the LibDems, whom the LDs will NEVER win back.

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2012, 07:27:02 pm »
Ignore

From The Times:
Couples earning more than £40,000 a year would no longer be entitled to a council house under radical proposals drawn up by a prominent Conservative council.

Hammersmith & Fulham, in West London, is also proposing to give priority for council homes to foster parents, former Army personnel and special constables in its overhaul of housing policy. People in work or training and those with a connection in the borough, such as their parents, would get preference.

The authority is one of the first to spell out how it plans to implement the Government’s legislation that ends the council “tenancy for life” and gives authorities more flexibility to deal with waiting lists.

The laws, which came into effect last month, will stop the current practice which allows those on high incomes to stay in council homes for life and pass them on to their children.

Frank Dobson, the former Labour Health Secretary, and Bob Crow, the general secretary of the RMT on a salary of more than £145,000, still live in council houses.

I sometimes feel that Hammersmith and Fulham is the Tory's answer to Liverpool Militant.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2012, 08:46:29 pm »
Ignore

Unlikely because they are actually Tories, rather than entryists. Just extreme ones.

MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2012, 08:54:28 pm »
Ignore

From The Times:
Couples earning more than £40,000 a year would no longer be entitled to a council house under radical proposals drawn up by a prominent Conservative council.

Hammersmith & Fulham, in West London, is also proposing to give priority for council homes to foster parents, former Army personnel and special constables in its overhaul of housing policy. People in work or training and those with a connection in the borough, such as their parents, would get preference.

The authority is one of the first to spell out how it plans to implement the Government’s legislation that ends the council “tenancy for life” and gives authorities more flexibility to deal with waiting lists.

The laws, which came into effect last month, will stop the current practice which allows those on high incomes to stay in council homes for life and pass them on to their children.

Frank Dobson, the former Labour Health Secretary, and Bob Crow, the general secretary of the RMT on a salary of more than £145,000, still live in council houses.

I sometimes feel that Hammersmith and Fulham is the Tory's answer to Liverpool Militant.

Well, I don't understand why social housing shouldn't be reserved to people needing it if there is waiting lists.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2012, 08:58:08 pm »
Ignore

Residualisation.

MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »
Ignore

Oh, the "social mixity".

True than UK built large council estates. I personally think than social housing spread through the city, among private housing is a way better way to achieve it.

Or making like some French cities, forcing new developpments to have 20% of social housing, which enforce mixity.
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:19 pm »
Ignore

Anyone noticing the big change of narrative around Ed?

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2012, 04:21:11 pm »
Ignore

He's certainly getting a lot less stick in the press, isn't he?

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
Ignore

He's certainly getting a lot less stick in the press, isn't he?

Even some "EM4PM" or "Miliband PM isn't unlikely" editorials floating around. Who would've thought we'd see that in January?

freefair
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »
Ignore

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/welsh-politics/welsh-politics-news/2012/05/18/union-leader-slams-plaid-alliance-of-progressives-stance-against-uk-government-cuts-91466-30998512/
This news story has done something amazing. It has made me sympathise with hard-left Plaid leader Leanne Wood. What an outrageous outburst
I'm so glad I've been brought up to hate the leadership of the Labour Party. They're willfully ignorant pigs and arrogant **nts who can only approach any issue with the bullish stance that everything they do is always right , and any other political party (apart from the Greens) is automatically f****ng wrong about everything.
(P.S, Don't pretend union leaders aren't Labour leaders too)

If you're centrist to right wing do follow this link and participate in this timelime poll!!
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186153.0
PM- Ecn +4.95 Soc -4.95
Pragmatically libertarian. Centrist by US standards, Tory in UK.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »
Ignore

How is it outrageous? Given the things Plaid say about Unite officials they shouldn't be surprised if the brothers respond to overtures with raised fingers. Can't have things both ways.

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:39 pm »
Ignore

So apparently Cameron is a PB lurker....luckily for him, most of the posters there are not exactly left-wing....

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2012/05/21/should-dave-stop-being-a-pb-lurker/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 93 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout