UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:18:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 263363 times)
FreedomFighter
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 04, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »

So, leadership speculation's sprung up around Liam Fox this morning. He'd be stupid enough to try, of course.

Go Liam Fox!

I'd support him in any leadership election, of course, but even the Tories wouldn't choose a disgraced former cabinet minister. Right?

He'd only run to make a point.

Sadly, your probably right. The Tories will get stuck with that git Osbourne as leader if Cameron miraculously wins in 2015. If not, it might be Boris Johnson, or maybe Gove. Right-Wing candidates might include Grant Shapps or Owen Paterson.

All retarded rightists, expecially that moron from Eton, Johnson, basically the closest thing British politics has to a GOP'er.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »

So, leadership speculation's sprung up around Liam Fox this morning. He'd be stupid enough to try, of course.

Go Liam Fox!

I'd support him in any leadership election, of course, but even the Tories wouldn't choose a disgraced former cabinet minister. Right?

He'd only run to make a point.

Sadly, your probably right. The Tories will get stuck with that git Osbourne as leader if Cameron miraculously wins in 2015. If not, it might be Boris Johnson, or maybe Gove. Right-Wing candidates might include Grant Shapps or Owen Paterson.

All retarded rightists, expecially that moron from Eton, Johnson, basically the closest thing British politics has to a GOP'er.

Mitt Romney and David Cameron will find they have a lot in common when they meet next month.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #227 on: July 05, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »

Someone mind explaining to me how Ed Balls is supposed to have helped rig LIBOR eventhough he was Education Secretary at the time?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: July 05, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »

Someone mind explaining to me how Ed Balls is supposed to have helped rig LIBOR eventhough he was Education Secretary at the time?

Because Labour were responsible for everything that went wrong in the last 13 years? Wink
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »

Because Labour were responsible for everything that went wrong in the last 13 years? Wink

Can't help but feel sorry for Ed Balls, he gets such a bad wrap.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #230 on: July 06, 2012, 07:15:24 AM »

This explains a lot.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/05/louise-mensch-i-did-class-a-drugs-and-they-messed-with-my-brain_n_1652693.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2012, 04:43:31 AM »

He was City Minister

Ed Balls is a smug, self-satisfied class warrior AND he's partly responsible for the policies which dragged this country into the longest, deepest recession in peace times, so yes, he's responsible.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2012, 04:47:17 AM »

Ed Balls is a smug, self-satisfied

Yeah; he's a politician. Tongue
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »

He was City Minister

Ed Balls is a smug, self-satisfied class warrior AND he's partly responsible for the policies which dragged this country into the longest, deepest recession in peace times, so yes, he's responsible.

Didn't realise he moonlighted at Lehman's.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jul/13/employment-tribunal-fees-branded-disgrace?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

Shocked £1200!? REALLY!?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #235 on: July 23, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/21/nick-clegg-would-form-liberal-democrat-coalition-labour-miliband_n_1692097.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Ha, i'd resign membership and emigrate to the new Scots' Nation.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #236 on: July 25, 2012, 05:19:17 AM »

UK recession deepens
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #237 on: July 25, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »

We're a safe haven, don't you know.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2012, 02:55:09 AM »

Really, (rather than Cameron, Osborne and Clegg) Clarke, Hague and Cable should be leading this government. Cameron and Osborne had only four years of parliamentary experience (and hardly any shadow cabinet experience) when they essentially took control of the Tories in 2005, and Clegg had only two years when he was elected Lib Dem leader.

I mean, when was the last time we had a government with so many inexperienced figures leading it?

And yeah, yeah, I know Labour currently have this problem to an extent too.

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

Really, (rather than Cameron, Osborne and Clegg) Clarke, Hague and Cable should be leading this government. Cameron and Osborne had only four years of parliamentary experience (and hardly any shadow cabinet experience) when they essentially took control of the Tories in 2005, and Clegg had only two years when he was elected Lib Dem leader.

I mean, when was the last time we had a government with so many inexperienced figures leading it?

And yeah, yeah, I know Labour currently have this problem to an extent too.

It was widely said before the election that, should they have won, the Tory government would be the most inexperienced we'd had in modern times. Even New Labour in 1997 wasn't so thin on experience.

And Labour has a problem with it to, but at least most of the shadow cabinet are experienced in government.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »

Sort of thing that happens when you have back-to-back long-lasting governments.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

Sort of thing that happens when you have back-to-back long-lasting governments.

And this obsession with young leaders that's grown over the past few decades.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »

Today I stumbled upon an amusing group of deluded fools: http://liberalleft.org.uk/site/

http://www.libdemvoice.org/why-liberal-left-27111.html

It looks as though the tiny activist base of the LibDems that still remains is very liberal but for the most part refuses to even give lip service to the most basic aspects of social democracy. Witnessing these losers bicker with a few delusional fools who'd cling onto the yellow banner of the party even if advocated for minarchism entertained me greatly. I finally solved the mystery as to who an active LibDem member is in the Age of Clegg.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »

I finally solved the mystery as to who an active LibDem member is in the Age of Clegg.

Them and students from Tory families.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #244 on: August 03, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »

Hey whats the general public opinion of William Hague? Does he have a political future? The only real insight I get into British politics besides this forum are PMQs, and I always loved him during those.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2012, 02:42:09 PM »

Hey whats the general public opinion of William Hague? Does he have a political future? The only real insight I get into British politics besides this forum are PMQs, and I always loved him during those.

Held in high esteem generally, but such is the job of foreign secretary.

Couldn't see him as the leader again though, I doubt he wants it at this point anyway.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »

Held in high esteem generally, but such is the job of foreign secretary.

Couldn't see him as the leader again though, I doubt he wants it at this point anyway.

Every Conservative MP I've spoken to sings his praises, and the grassroots of the party love him.

Anyway, did anyone see the BBC 2 thingy 'Young, Bright and on the Right'? Thoughts, if any?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2012, 09:39:50 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 09:43:39 AM by YL »

Anyway, did anyone see the BBC 2 thingy 'Young, Bright and on the Right'? Thoughts, if any?

I've now watched it on iPlayer.  (Link here for anyone in the UK.)

The Cambridge one came across as a stereotypical Tory Boy, except perhaps slightly more socially inept.  Documentary makers can exaggerate the weirdness of people like that, of course.

The Oxford one was a bit more interesting, and was actually from what seemed to be a genuinely unusual background for an Oxbridge student, let alone a blazer-wearing Oxford Tory, and once the programme got going I thought there was something behind the affectations.  I did wonder why he'd persisted with OUCA for so long when they were so obnoxious, not only in their general behaviour but also directly to him.  I'd think he's the more likely of the two to actually crop up as a Tory MP in a few years' time, though he seemed to find it easy to fall out with people.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »

From the description, it sounded like a send-up of Cameron and Osborne.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »

It shocks me, but UK political parties (or at least the Lib Dems, cause that's whose website I was on) are better at capitalism than US ones. Even the GOP, the great defenders of capitalism, don't let you get a credit card emblazoned with their logo. I don't understand why this isn't common practice in the US.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies