UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:36:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 263418 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

Just reading about the PM attacking the Welsh government. There is no need.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like that zing at the end (although, Welsh Labour narrowly missed there own target of a majority, mind.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/06/trust-in-david-cameron-hits-new-low_n_1408585.html?ref=uk
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2012, 08:32:21 PM by Robot Rominee »

Today, it's been twenty years since the Conservatives have won an election.
(Or twenty years since the electorate last returned a Conservative government, for you pedants out there.)
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »

Dennis Skinner having a good old rant about the Liberals on Election Night 1992, still very much rings true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFfkJ_l-rHM&

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »

Smithson saying the Labour lead's growing because more people are blaming the Coalition for the cuts, rather than Brown Labour. I agree with his hypothesis. If that gap closes completely, it's game over for Nick and Dave, it's the line they've been holding onto ("Because of the mess that he inherited from the last government!") for dear life for the past two years.

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2012/04/11/labour-closes-the-blame-gap-by-10-percent/
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »

Lucy Powell selected as the Labour candidate for Manchester Central. There'll be a by-election there after the Mayoral election (or is it Commissioner, can't remember).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »

Police Commissioner, yeah. I will set up a by-election thread at some point, but it can wait for ages, I think.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »

Mayoral elections can f' off as well.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »

Just reading about the PM attacking the Welsh government. There is no need.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like that zing at the end (although, Welsh Labour narrowly missed there own target of a majority, mind.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/06/trust-in-david-cameron-hits-new-low_n_1408585.html?ref=uk

So Wales seems to be doing even worse than the US, and the Welsh government replies with a system designed to lessen competition?! Competition (call it 'antagonism' if you want) is the ultimate motivator. It's like they're trying to worsen Welsh schools (though, of course, they really do sincerely believe what they're doing is better for students. It's actually a little frightening.)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »

Competition = republican code for giving away public money to the rich.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2012, 06:05:21 AM »

Competition = republican code for giving away public money to the rich.

That's not how I interpreted the article. Competition in an educational setting means making the students compete against each other, maybe even be 'antagonistic', as a motivator. Rivalry is, and always has been a good motivator. Apparently Welsh Labour thinks this would not be good, because sharing, or something.

But maybe 'competition' in this context means the Tories want to give away Welsh children to the rich. After all, I only read the excerpt Robot Rominee quoted. Could you enlighten me?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »

In case of UK, competition is competition between schools.
More or less, private schools, which is bad.
Private schools shouldn't be funded by the government.
And comparing notes between schools is a bad idea because private schools can just exclude someone for having too low marks, so the averages are biaised. Here, in Quebec, we had a scandal because some school were giving answers of government exams or inflating notes to be well ranked in rankings.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

Why not? Ours are 80% government funded which works well. It gives the parents a real choice, even if they are not wealthy.

(sorry, for going off topic... Wont give reply back if he answers - just curious)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »

Why not? Ours are 80% government funded which works well. It gives the parents a real choice, even if they are not wealthy.

(sorry, for going off topic... Wont give reply back if he answers - just curious)

Well, here, they are funded at 60%, yet, most are really expensive, while the public system has problems because it gets cuts after cuts after cuts.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »

The idea of publically funding a private school is horrendous. Why setup a private school and expect the tax-payer to pick up the pieces?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »

Just nationalize all the schools... far easier solution.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »

The idea of publically funding a private school is horrendous. Why setup a private school and expect the tax-payer to pick up the pieces?
People who put their children in a private school are taxpayers too, why should they have to pay everything?
If you only have public schools its "one size fits all". No Rudolf Steiner schools, no Jewish schools etc. Only 100 % privately funded schools for the elite and uniform public schools for everybody else regardsless of their values and wishes.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »

And comparing notes between schools is a bad idea because private schools can just exclude someone for having too low marks, so the averages are biaised. Here, in Quebec, we had a scandal because some school were giving answers of government exams or inflating notes to be well ranked in rankings.

Competition between schools is good, and comparing notes is good, too, because it motivates schools that do poorly to do better or face cuts. That said, no way should private schools be government-funded.

No. If I want to make money by setting up a better-quality school than the government does and charging students to enter, who's to stop me from making money?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »

People who put their children in a private school are taxpayers too, why should they have to pay everything?
If you only have public schools its "one size fits all". No Rudolf Steiner schools, no Jewish schools etc. Only 100 % privately funded schools for the elite and uniform public schools for everybody else regardsless of their values and wishes.

Britain doesn't have that problem, religious schools are common in the public sector (I went to one, in fact).
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 04:45:58 PM by Leftbehind »

We have the reverse with far too many of our schools being religious. The idea that we should be taxed to pay for your kids to receive lavish private education, while our state schools are left to rot, which we then have to send our kids to, is obvious nonsense. As WD says: nationalise the lot and abolish private schools.

No. If I want to make money by setting up a better-quality school than the government does and charging students to enter, who's to stop me from making money?

The government and the voting public who don't want you to make money from schooling?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »

Competition between schools is good, and comparing notes is good, too, because it motivates schools that do poorly to do better or face cuts. That said, no way should private schools be government-funded.

The problem is than private schools have better marks, because they choose the better students.
Marks aren't saying anything about the quality of their teaching, but about the quality of their method of selection.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »

The blunt reality wrt Wales is that 'competition' (however defined) in education is not exactly practical. There's a reason why Wales was one of the most important strongholds of the movement to end selective education.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »

The blunt reality wrt Wales is that 'competition' (however defined) in education is not exactly practical. There's a reason why Wales was one of the most important strongholds of the movement to end selective education.
Low population density in rural Wales? Or something else?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 08:19:48 PM by Comrade Sibboleth »

Low population density in rural Wales? Or something else?

That's half of it, yeah. The other half is that most of the bits of Wales that don't have a very low population density are basically monolithically working class (and, for the most part, still not entirely urban). There isn't the demographic base to make certain approaches to education viable.

edit: 'most of' being rather important. Most of. Most of. Most of.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »

The government and the voting public who don't want you to make money from schooling?

Meh...private schools are a bad idea in general, but the government really shouldn't be allowed to stop me from making money in a way that doesn't hurt anybody.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »

Meh...private schools are a bad idea in general, but the government really shouldn't be allowed to stop me from making money in a way that doesn't hurt anybody.
Wait, and you are a Republican?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies