Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 01:47:06 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 91 Print
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 92706 times)
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2012, 08:34:04 pm »
Ignore

Just nationalize all the schools... far easier solution.

Wouldn't privatizing the state-sun schools also be easy?

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »
Ignore

No. If I want to make money by setting up a better-quality school than the government does and charging students to enter, who's to stop me from making money?

The government and the voting public who don't want you to make money from schooling?

Meh...private schools are a bad idea in general, but the government really shouldn't be allowed to stop me from making money in a way that doesn't hurt anybody.

But it does, people don't exist in a vacumn and there is only a limited amount of anything, so private schools give an advantage to the already rich over everyone else.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 04:27:17 pm »
Ignore

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17815769

Quote from: Nadine Dorries
Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others - and that is their real crime.

MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
Ignore

Well, she is right on that, but that's rather strange to attack your own leaders.
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »
Ignore

Well, she is right on that, but that's rather strange to attack your own leaders.

It's not too rare for the Tories really. And she's just fuming that her seats probably going to be abolished.

Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 05:17:44 pm »
Ignore

Well that and his (perceived) slight against her in PMQs.

In response, Cameron replied that he "does a lot of his own shopping". Cheesy

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 06:36:42 pm »
Ignore

Well that and his (perceived) slight against her in PMQs.

In response, Cameron replied that he "does a lot of his own shopping". Cheesy

Sainsbury's Chipping Norton. Roll Eyes

He rightly didn't say Waitrose, he wrongly didn't realise that Sainsbury's is for posh folk these days.

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 01:12:14 pm »
Ignore

Right, how long before Mr. Hunt stands down?

Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:20 pm »
Ignore

Well, David Cameron has expressed his full support for him...

I give him a week
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2012, 03:23:24 pm »
Ignore

Well, David Cameron has expressed his full support for him...

I give him a week

Well, atleast he'll known for something more than just being called Jeremy Cunt (that's in context, mods) once.

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2012, 07:15:59 pm »
Ignore

A Daily Mail front page praising Labour! What is this sourcery!?!?

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2012, 09:08:44 pm »
Ignore

Only because they want to interfere in people's personal lives, apparently.

afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2012, 02:54:18 am »

I take it the Mail is trying to start a moral panic again?

Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2012, 04:26:37 am »
Ignore

Why won't someone think of the children?
afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2012, 05:23:56 am »

Why won't someone think of the children?

Well obviously parents don't. It's up to them to look out for what their teenage son is getting up to, whether it's restricting internet access in 2012 or throwing dirty mags in the bin in 1992. Teenagers will always find it though Smiley

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:01 pm »
Ignore

Dave certainly bungled that statement today. Difficult to watch.

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »
Ignore

Just for some perspective on Lord Reform, if we had the Clegg plan, Senators elected during the 1997 Labour landslide would only just be leaving office today.

afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2012, 03:33:37 am »

Just for some perspective on Lord Reform, if we had the Clegg plan, Senators elected during the 1997 Labour landslide would only just be leaving office today.

At least we're doing something about it, rather than stuffing the Lords with peers Wink

afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2012, 06:50:51 am »

I do think the Lords proposal is interesting. I'd prefer it to be 100% elected, not 80% elected and would rather the Bishops be booted. They seem to be trying to go for a pre 2004 style French Senate which makes sense if you want to create a neutered upper house almost from scratch.

The Lords is to be elected in 3rds, every 5 years with members having one 15 year term. As a result, it will probably not be a place in which to build a career. The problem is though, if it becomes a carehome for old politicians the number of by-elections would be enormous. Given that the proposals suggest large STV constituencies so that Scotland for example would be one constituency, that means setting up polling stations nationwide to fill one seat.

Having 5-7 elected per seat every 5 years means that smaller (read: crazy) parties would have a chance to get in. 3-4 per seat would mean smaller more manageable seats and less crazies.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2012, 06:54:53 am »
Ignore

I do think the Lords proposal is interesting. I'd prefer it to be 100% elected, not 80% elected and would rather the Bishops be booted. They seem to be trying to go for a pre 2004 style French Senate which makes sense if you want to create a neutered upper house almost from scratch.
Britain already has a neutered upper house, so a reform that recreates one makes no sense. Not that I'd expect the current government - or a Labour majority government for that matter - to come up with anything else.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2012, 07:06:42 am »

Britain already has a neutered upper house, so a reform that recreates one makes no sense. Not that I'd expect the current government - or a Labour majority government for that matter - to come up with anything else.

I would agree with you. However the Lords could be kept down by the Commons in the era of suffrage on the basis that it was illegitimate and unelected. If you start electing members to a body then the balance of power can shift. So you just make sure you set out the ground rules for what the Lords can do (and more importantly what it can never do) before you then consider trivial matters like how to populate it.

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »
Ignore

At least we're doing something about it, rather than stuffing the Lords with peers Wink

Oh no, I'd support the proposals in any referendum, don't get me wrong. We just deserve better really, like with AV.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2012, 04:56:33 pm »
Ignore

The Lords is to be elected in 3rds, every 5 years with members having one 15 year term. As a result, it will probably not be a place in which to build a career. The problem is though, if it becomes a carehome for old politicians the number of by-elections would be enormous. Given that the proposals suggest large STV constituencies so that Scotland for example would be one constituency, that means setting up polling stations nationwide to fill one seat.

Having 5-7 elected per seat every 5 years means that smaller (read: crazy) parties would have a chance to get in. 3-4 per seat would mean smaller more manageable seats and less crazies.

Why bother with by-elections for a toothless body?  If the voters (or the parties) pick people who die in office, tough luck.  If the Lords would actually have some power then I could see the need for by-elections, but as it is, there is no need, or at least none that could not be put off until the next nationwide vote.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Pilchard
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.22

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2012, 06:55:50 pm »
Ignore

Why bother with by-elections for a toothless body?  If the voters (or the parties) pick people who die in office, tough luck.  If the Lords would actually have some power then I could see the need for by-elections, but as it is, there is no need, or at least none that could not be put off until the next nationwide vote.

The draft bill and the joint committee report propose filling vacancies with substitute members until the next election (unless it's close to the next election - the committee recommends 1 year - in which case it would be left vacant). For some reason they propose filling the vacancy with the first unsuccessful candidate for the party at the previous election, which could involve going back to election results that may be more than 10 years old.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2012, 11:36:24 am »
Ignore

Why not just get rid of the Lords and be done with it? The current legislative system doesn't seem to be crying out for an effective second house.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 91 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout