UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:28:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 263936 times)
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »

No majority (I think they started in October 1974 with a majority of 3 and then lost seats through defections and by-elections).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1676 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »

No majority (I think they started in October 1974 with a majority of 3 and then lost seats through defections and by-elections).

Minority government in February 1974, majority of 3 in October 1974 and a minority again the day Callaghan took office.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1677 on: August 30, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »

Blair poisoned the well. It took is a generation to get over Suez and it will take the same to get over Iraq. The public don't trust politicians, don't trust intervention and worst of all don't trust intelligence services.
Wtf? The worst thing that can be truthfully said about the British people, or indeed any people, is that they broadly trust their intelligence services.
rob in cal
« Reply #1678 on: August 30, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »

Is there any clear pattern among the Tory no votes?  Would most of them be considered on the right wing? Eurosceptic? Are many from marginal seats?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1679 on: August 30, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »

Is there any clear pattern among the Tory no votes?  Would most of them be considered on the right wing? Eurosceptic? Are many from marginal seats?

I think the libertarian tendency is over-represented.  Some are from marginals (e.g. High Peak, Warwick & Leamington) but there's no particular tendency that way.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1680 on: August 30, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »

Here's the list:

David Amess (Southend West), Richard Bacon (Norfolk South), Steven Baker (Wycombe), John Baron (Basildon and Billericay), Andrew Bingham (High Peak), Crispin Blunt (Reigate), Fiona Bruce (Congleton), Tracey Crouch (Chatham and Aylesford), David Davies (Monmouth), Philip Davies (Shipley), David Davis (Haltemprice and Howden), Nick de Bois (Enfield North), Richard Drax (Dorset South), Gordon Henderson (Sittingbourne and Sheppey), Philip Hollobone (Kettering), Adam Holloway (Gravesham), Phillip Lee (Bracknell), Julian Lewis (New Forest East), Jason McCartney (Colne Valley), Stephen McPartland (Stevenage), Nigel Mills (Amber Valley), Anne-Marie Morris (Newton Abbot), Andrew Percy (Brigg and Goole), Sir Richard Shepherd (Aldridge-Brownhills), Sir Peter Tapsell (Louth and Horncastle), Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight), Martin Vickers (Cleethorpes), Charles Walker (Broxbourne), Chris White (Warwick and Leamington) and Dr Sarah Wollaston (Totnes)

Odd mixture in general, actually.

LibDem rebels:

Gordon Birtwistle (Burnley), Michael Crockart (Edinburgh West), Andrew George (St Ives), Julian Huppert (Cambridge), Dan Rogerson (Cornwall North), Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove), Ian Swales (Redcar), Sarah Teather (Brent Central) and Roger Williams (Brecon and Radnorshire).

Now here, we see a clearer pattern of obvious electoral self-interest.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1681 on: August 30, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »

Blair poisoned the well. It took is a generation to get over Suez and it will take the same to get over Iraq.

I think there is some truth in this, in that the Iraq debacle affected yesterday's outcome to some extent.  However, the Commons were perfectly happy to support intervention in Libya; the UK hasn't become totally isolationist.  To many of us, the case being made this week seems weak, not because we think Assad didn't commit atrocities, but because it's far from clear how our intervention would actually help the situation.

(I admit that I personally tend to be sceptical about the merits of military action in general, so I was never likely to be keen on this.  But with Libya there did seem to be a much clearer aim to the proposed intervention.)

Khunanup
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -8.26

« Reply #1682 on: August 30, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »

Isolationists.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1683 on: August 30, 2013, 08:59:46 PM »

I'll be stunned if Cameron doesn't resign/party isn't defeated in next election...
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1684 on: August 30, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »

Ha, did not know this.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #1685 on: August 31, 2013, 01:33:46 AM »

What didn't you know?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1686 on: August 31, 2013, 03:35:40 AM »

I think we're learning what it was like to be French in 2003...

(Ironically enough, the character who first uttered the term "cheese eating surrender monkeys" was Scottish).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1687 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:34 AM »

(Ironically enough, the character who first uttered the term "cheese eating surrender monkeys" was Scottish).

I would have thought it would have been a beefeating appeasement apes rather than a Scot who came up with that phrase.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1688 on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:12 AM »

I would have thought it would have been a beefeating appeasement apes rather than a Scot who came up with that phrase.

It was Groundskeeper Willie in The Simpsons... and he's pretty Scottish. The writer was American though.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1689 on: August 31, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »

That he was one of the Liberal rebels!

What do you mean?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1690 on: August 31, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2013, 03:06:12 PM by London Man »

Being on the opposite side to the US in regards to a Middle Eastern conflict and some of the rhetoric that results.

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1691 on: August 31, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2013, 05:00:08 PM by You kip if you want to... »

Some of the bile coming from the right-wing press, aimed at those against intervention, is pretty shocking even for them.

And as much as Labour are being barracked in the press for standing with the public, no one's mentioning the hilarity of some of the neocon statements made by the likes of Clegg and Paddy Ashdown.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #1692 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:03 PM »

Some of the bile coming from the right-wing press, aimed at those against intervention, is pretty shocking even for them.

And as much as Labour are being barracked in the press for standing with the public, no one's mentioning the hilarity of some of the neocon statements made by the likes of Clegg and Paddy Ashdown.

Ashdown's statement was one of the few times I've ever nodded earnestly when listening to a Liberal Democrat.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1693 on: August 31, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »

Ashdown's statement was one of the few times I've ever nodded earnestly when listening to a Liberal Democrat.

I agree with him here more than I disagree, but I can't help but roll my eyes hearing this from a LibDem.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1694 on: September 01, 2013, 02:51:30 AM »

Ashdown has always been an interventionist; he even supported the Iraq war.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1695 on: September 01, 2013, 03:24:15 AM »

Ashdown has always been an interventionist; he even supported the Iraq war.

He was in the SBS and apparently SIS as well... so you can't call him a chickenhawk.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1696 on: September 02, 2013, 05:33:16 AM »

Malcolm Bruce, Liberal MP for Gordon to stand down at the next election. Last leader of the Scottish Liberal/First leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats.

Many Nats will be smiling today. Bruce held a 13.8% majority in 2010 over the SNP, with Labour not far behind. It's equivalent Holyrood seat was gained by Alex Salmond in 2007 and he now sits on an eye watering 50.5% majority.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1697 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »

Dan Hodges was on Daily Politics before. He's still panning to vote Labour. Why does this idiot still get airtime?

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1698 on: September 02, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »

Dan Hodges was on Daily Politics before. He's still panning to vote Labour. Why does this idiot still get airtime?

Well the last time I seen him on DP the Labour representative was sat there pandering to him and reassuring him that Owen Jones was unrepresentative of Labour - hardly hurting his credibility.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1699 on: September 02, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Well the last time I seen him on DP the Labour representative was sat there pandering to him and reassuring him that Owen Jones was unrepresentative of Labour - hardly hurting his credibility.

Neither Owen Jones or Dan Hodges represent Labour values.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies