UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:49:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 264412 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: February 01, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »

A chance for UKIP to run through the middle?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2026 on: February 01, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »

6/16
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2027 on: February 01, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »

I've attempted to find out why they deselected her, and my search seems to have been pretty fruitless!?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2028 on: February 01, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »

I've attempted to find out why they deselected her, and my search seems to have been pretty fruitless!?

Personal animosity, pretty obviously. Mutual personal animosity at that. Part of which presumably comes from resentment at the vote in 2006.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2029 on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:38 AM »

Tory selection procedures are weird, but it's probably fair to say that Tim Yeo (MP for South Suffolk since 1983) has been half-deselected.

And now he's been fully deselected.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2030 on: February 05, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »

Cannock Chase MP Aidan Burley - the Tory MP who's chances of political advancement were cut short by a decidedly foolish choice of fancy dress costume - has surprised absolutely no one by announcing his retirement at the next election.

Local elections have been appalling for the Tories here at both district and county level (Labour lead of c.15pts and the Tories just behind UKIP) and the seat looks a bit like a write-off, though the non-candidacy of Burley means it probably won't go utterly toxic.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2031 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »

Mark Harper quits as immigration minister... after employing illegal immigrant
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2032 on: February 08, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »

So how likely is it that PM David Cameron can win an outright majority for the Conservative Party next year?  
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2033 on: February 08, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »

Low to non-existent, unless your Dan Hodges. UKIP will probably, in their worst case scenario, still get about 5-6 percent of the vote, which will drain votes from the Tories in a number of constituencies (even with 3 percent in 2010, they still cost the Conservatives a handful of seats). Labour will likely remain steady in the upper 30's, which puts them in majority government territory. So, I can't see the Conservatives getting a majority as long as the situation stays remarkably similar going into 2015. Maybe, just maybe, if the economy really picks up steam in time for 2015, or if the Labour Party has a really massive clusterf*** or if UKIP collapses spectacularly (and it would probably require at least two of these factors), there's a chance that the Tories could remain in office, and even take a majority. But I doubt it...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2034 on: February 08, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

Conservative opportunities for making further gains off Labour look extremely limited even in a best-case scenario for them (one certain thing about the next election is that the Labour vote is going to rise), however...

It isn't often mentioned, but the only reason why the Tories don't have a majority at present is because a significant number of former Conservative bedrock constituencies are currently represented by LibDem MPs.* Essentially the path to a Conservative majority would be keeping losses to Labour to a minimum, while basically gutting their coalition partner. Not impossible, but not easy either.

*That and their long-term decline in the (post)industrial cities: this hasn't cost them many seats actually, but even a small number count. Conservative governments used to have a handful of Birmingham seats, a couple from Liverpool and Leeds, one or two from Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Bradford, Nottingham, Leicester, etc. but not post-Thatcher. Again, that's not many seats... but it does change the numbers when things are tight. There's nothing they can do about this issue in the short-term, of course.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2035 on: February 08, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »

Conservative opportunities for making further gains off Labour look extremely limited even in a best-case scenario for them (one certain thing about the next election is that the Labour vote is going to rise), however...

It isn't often mentioned, but the only reason why the Tories don't have a majority at present is because a significant number of former Conservative bedrock constituencies are currently represented by LibDem MPs.* Essentially the path to a Conservative majority would be keeping losses to Labour to a minimum, while basically gutting their coalition partner. Not impossible, but not easy either.

*That and their long-term decline in the (post)industrial cities: this hasn't cost them many seats actually, but even a small number count. Conservative governments used to have a handful of Birmingham seats, a couple from Liverpool and Leeds, one or two from Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Bradford, Nottingham, Leicester, etc. but not post-Thatcher. Again, that's not many seats... but it does change the numbers when things are tight. There's nothing they can do about this issue in the short-term, of course.

And even this assumes that the Tories are at 36-40%, right?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2036 on: February 10, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-11/uk-britain-river-thames-on-flood-alert/5250986

The River Thames has burst it's banks, flooding large areas of Southwest England... naturally the political blame game has begun. Communities Minister Eric Pickles said the government "relied to much on the Environment Agency's advice", while Environment agency chair Chris Smith said the Treasury had limited the amount of money that could be spent on flood management.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2037 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »

Damn weather. Doesn't the good lord know that I need to attend an applicant open day on Wednesday. In Exeter. Jesus.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2038 on: February 10, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »

Pickles is dreadful.

The main (and only) railway line to Cornwall and southern and western Devon suspended above the sea at Dawlish, Devon:

(posted by Francesca Blackham on Twitter)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2039 on: February 11, 2014, 07:10:21 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/10/public-money-private-wealth-london-north-v-south

Not often I agree, but I can't really fault this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2040 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »

...and even in London, who exactly is it that actually benefits from much of the investment, etc.

Of course this problem isn't unique to Britain (Paris plays a similar role in France, etc... worse in some respects actually) and it isn't new, but it's getting worse for sure.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2041 on: February 11, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »

So Tristram Hunt crossed a uni picket line to give a lecture on Marx and Engels.

Well, if I didn't know what irony was before...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2042 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »

Sad

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tony-benn-fears-grow-seriously-3134955
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2043 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »

British government tells Scotland that if it votes to walk away from the UK, it loses the pound
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2044 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:03 AM »

Despite the current problems, I think they would be better of with the Euro. But I realize its a hard sell right now.

Anyway, arrogant, posh Tories lecturing Scots should be good for the yes-vote.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2045 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:08 AM »

Despite the current problems, I think they would be better of with the Euro. But I realize its a hard sell right now.

Anyway, arrogant, posh Tories lecturing Scots should be good for the yes-vote.

This isn't just 'arrogant, posh Tories', as you so uncharitably dub them, lecturing the Scots, this issue is one of the few things the three major parties agree on. As for the issue with the pound, since one of the main planks of Salmond's independence bid seems to have been that Scotland will retain all of the current benefits of being in the Union (like the Pound) despite being independent, the latter assertion isn't particularly credible, especially in the light of this announcement on the pound.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2046 on: February 14, 2014, 08:57:03 AM »

As there is plenty of countries using American Dollar or Euro without being "allowed" to do so by USA or EU, I don't see how UK can ban them for using it.

That's just plainly misleading persons. But, not surprising coming from Cameron.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2047 on: February 14, 2014, 09:12:36 AM »

As there is plenty of countries using American Dollar or Euro without being "allowed" to do so by USA or EU, I don't see how UK can ban them for using it.

That's just plainly misleading persons. But, not surprising coming from Cameron.

Yes, but, on the other hand, those are generally speaking third-world countries lacking a credible currency of their own (e.g. Zimbabwe). I don't think the Scots desire to emulate that example. No, what they have been proposing is a currency union, which is quite different to unofficially using foreign currency.
swl
France

« Reply #2048 on: February 14, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

I find the similarities between the debates on Scotland leaving the UK and the UK leaving the EU rather amusing.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2049 on: February 14, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »

Yes, but, on the other hand, those are generally speaking third-world countries lacking a credible currency of their own (e.g. Zimbabwe). I don't think the Scots desire to emulate that example. No, what they have been proposing is a currency union, which is quite different to unofficially using foreign currency.

Yeah, it's more about setting out how clearly unstable an independent Scottish economy would be.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies