UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:54:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 264115 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »

Any thoughts on the Clegg/Farage debate?

Clegg did himself in, he came off as downright patronising.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2126 on: April 02, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »

I would rather have eaten a razorblade sandwich than watch that...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2127 on: April 03, 2014, 11:31:48 AM »

I would rather have eaten a razorblade sandwich than watch that...

I instead went to the cinema.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2128 on: April 03, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »

I feel sorry for Clegg. People have been conditioned to hate him so much they give the benefit of the doubt to a dangerous politician like Farage.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2129 on: April 03, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2014, 12:54:42 PM by YL »

I feel sorry for Clegg. People have been conditioned to hate him so much they give the benefit of the doubt to a dangerous politician like Farage.

There was more to it than that.  According to the ICM post-debate poll, 42% of current Lib Dem supporters (excluding don't knows) thought Farage "won" as against 58% who though Clegg did.  That's a pretty lousy outcome for Clegg among people who presumably do not hate him that much as they still support his party.  YouGov figures were similar though slightly better for Clegg.  (Admittedly we are talking small subsamples.)

As for views on the debate, I posted this last night on the EU elections thread:
ICM and YouGov have polls on who "won".  ICM say Farage 69% Clegg 31% (not including don't knows) and YouGov say Farage 68% Clegg 27% (presumably including don't knows as that adds to 95%).

I wasn't very impressed by either of them.  As a left-liberal pro-European I'm never going to like Farage, but I thought Clegg was a shadow of his April 2010 self and rarely seemed convincing.  So I guess the poll figures make sense.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2130 on: April 04, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »

MSP Margo Macdonald has died.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2131 on: April 06, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsV8YumePk

This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2132 on: April 08, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

The Tory Mayor of Havering and two other councillors have defected to UKIP, making the Tories a minority administration on my local council. This may have had something to do with a batch of incumbents getting deselected for the upcoming May elections.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2133 on: April 09, 2014, 01:29:56 AM »

A cabinet resignation: Maria Miller (Tory MP for Basingstoke) has resigned as Secretary of State for culture, media and sport after the media had been gunning for her for a week or so.  This is essentially another flare up of the 2009 MPs' expenses scandal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2134 on: April 09, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »

Ministers in this government have had a strangely limpet like quality: it's been obvious for a while that Miller's position was untenable, yet she clung on regardless. Of course it could be argued that the 'a scandal? OUT THE DOOR AT ONCE!' frequently taken by the previous government wasn't that healthy either.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2135 on: April 09, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »

Replaced by Tory Right member Sajid Javid - said by some to be PM material, but then again the UK media do have a cringeworthy habit of finding minority background politicians and proclaiming them as "The British Obama". Still nice to see a bit of diversity in the cabinet, even if it came at the expense of one of the few women on the frontbench (not that I'm defending Miller in any way).

Is Miller going to resign as an MP as well? Basingstoke might be a conceivable target for UKIP Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2136 on: April 09, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »

They didn't perform terribly in the 2013 county council elections, but they didn't perform terribly well there either. In a by-election caused by a scandal they'd throw the kitchen sink at it (of course), though Labour would also make an effort (parts of the town have a decent Labour vote and the constituency would have been Labour for part of the Blair era on present boundaries). Though presumably she's not going to quit as an MP.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #2137 on: April 09, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »

I find Sajid Javid deeply abhorrent on a personal level in a way that's not true of any other politician I can think of.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2138 on: April 09, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »

Yes, I can understand that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2139 on: April 09, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »

Is it just me or does he sound like a Dalek?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2140 on: April 09, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »

Michael Fabricant, Vice Chair of the Conservative Party was asked to resign today, refused, then was sacked. Most likely due to his calling for Maria Miller to resign on Twitter and vocal anti-HS2 views (a-la Justine Greening moving from the transport brief).

Anyhow, everyone promoted in the mini-shuffle has made me a very happy Tory. Sajid Javid was the guest of honour at our University Conservative group summer dinner and he definitely impressed, I feel he's slightly wasted at the DCMS though. Andrea Leadsom and Nicky Morgan are also fantastic.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2141 on: April 09, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »

Ministerial resignations and reshuffles are so rare this parliament that this makes a bigger impact that it would otherwise do. Still, it is nice to get one of the 2010 cohort at the table.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2142 on: April 10, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »

Nigel Evans found not guilty, therefore no Ribble Valley by-election.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2143 on: April 10, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »

Not just that. The evidence against him like wet tissue. It should have never gone to court.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2144 on: April 10, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2014, 01:29:26 PM by CrabCake »

Michael Fabricant, Vice Chair of the Conservative Party was asked to resign today, refused, then was sacked. Most likely due to his calling for Maria Miller to resign on Twitter and vocal anti-HS2 views (a-la Justine Greening moving from the transport brief).

Fabricant always creeped me out. He looks like a shrivelled up Boris Johnson.

Then again it was probably a bad idea to appoint a self-described "maverick" to a leadership role. Maverick politicians are normally best suited to minor parties, the backbenches and crap reality TV. Watch as an unleashed Fabricant seeks the oxygen of media exposure to revenge himself on the party establishment.

Will he be reinstated as Deputy Speaker?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2145 on: April 10, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »

Not just that. The evidence against him like wet tissue. It should have never gone to court.

If the Guardian article on the case is accurate I'd have to agree.  What were the police and CPS doing?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2146 on: April 10, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »

Then again it was probably a bad idea to appoint a self-described "maverick" to a leadership role. Maverick politicians are normally best suited to minor parties, the backbenches and crap reality TV. Watch as an unleashed Fabricant seeks the oxygen of media exposure to revenge himself on the party establishment.

Yeah, he's a.. character, shall we say. I do find him quite an amusing fellow, he hosted our University freshers event and went down a treat.

To the second question, unlikely.

If the Guardian article on the case is accurate I'd have to agree.  What were the police and CPS doing?

I read the article too, seems Sarah Wollaston played a big role in getting the police involved. Never really been fond of her.

Also, Norman Tebbit calls for Martin McGuinness to be assassinated.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2147 on: April 10, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »

One is allowed to day dream, even of the death of your enemies.

Not the Christian thing to do, but I cant really blame him. If he was an active politician it would be another matter, but this is only human.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2148 on: April 10, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »

Yeah, he's a.. character, shall we say. I do find him quite an amusing fellow, he hosted our University freshers event and went down a treat.

To the second question, unlikely.

I read the article too, seems Sarah Wollaston played a big role in getting the police involved. Never really been fond of her.

Well, it would be a rather just dessert for him I must say.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2149 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »

Richard Hoggart, massively influential public intellectual and author of The Uses of Literacy, has died aged 95.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies