UK General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:56:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 264447 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: May 06, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »

If I had my way, I'd reform the Lords... back to 1910.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:21:57 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 05:50:06 PM by Severe Simfan34 »

If I had my way, I'd reform the Lords... back to 1910.

Your act is now actively embarrassing. Grow up.

Sarcasm.

But you know what? You seem to have an active distaste for some people, namely me. What is so terrible about the idea some people think that maybe, just maybe, some things were better in the past, and that not every bit of progress is a good thing? Or people who prefer to use a vocabulary that more precise and succinct, "fancy" if that's your thing, than average. Or those that enjoy certain parts of culture and dislike others. Perhaps you, sir, ought to "grow up" and be more tolerant and aware of viewpoints that are not your own.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 07:40:31 PM by Severe Simfan34 »

Haha. Your general affectations mean that you've given up any right to claim that that's the case in this case. Sorry.

You're free to believe whatever you'd like. To be honest, a House of Lords as spayed and neutered as the one today has no reason to exist. It really is a Senate whose life members have taken on noble titles, nothing more; there is no real reason for more than one house meant to represent more than one interest group- and today's Lords represents no one, really. Frankly, if you're going to have a pointless institution, it might as well be interesting. This is also the root of my dislike for non-executive presidencies.

But you know what? You seem to have an active distaste for some people, namely me. What is so terrible about the idea some people think that maybe, just maybe, some things were better in the past, and that not every bit of progress is a good thing? Or people who prefer to use a vocabulary that more precise and succinct, "fancy" if that's your thing, than average. Or those that enjoy certain parts of culture and dislike others. Perhaps you, sir, ought to "grow up" and be more tolerant and aware of viewpoints that are not your own.

Thanks for proving my point.

And that point would be? That what I just said is embarrassing and immature? In what way? The only negative tone here is your condescension.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »

Labour safe seat I assume?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

I don't understand opposition to what Boris is saying at all. Or is there another side to the argument? Because upwards income redistribution doesn't seem like a good thing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:58:10 PM »

What? Did you read my post, or the article for that matter.

I'm not saying that the state should give child benefit to rich families (although I disagree with the way this new cap is calculated). What I am saying is that those things can benefit children; taking a child to Switzerland for a ski holiday is something that they enjoy.

But is that something that the state should subsidise? Or, perhaps, what if he had chosen to buy a Jaguar or the cellarful of Lafittes?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »

That link disappointed me. I had hoped the Muslim Patrol had been taking anti gay-harassment measures. Though, I realized you were unlikely to consider that "worrying".

We need to stop marginalizing minorities in the West- it only inflames them and promotes such activity.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »

It's amazing that half of the right-wing party voted for gay marriage.

Eh, a lot of the UK Convervatives are probably similar to those New England Republicans who are now Independents who vote Democratic.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that many Tories would vote Democratic.

I was at a Conservative Future (under-30's wing) election hustings in London the other day, and the topic of 'who would you support in the 2012 US election' came up. All the candidates said they would have supported Romney or Gary Johnson. One drunk girl in the audience shouted 'I LOVE OBAMA', then the vast majority of the room shouted 'SHAME' and 'UNSOUND' in response. I overheard the person in front of me say 'how can you be a Conservative and a Democ-RAT'? 

Obviously this is just one little snippet, but Conservatives are not like-for-like Democrats, although I would agree that there is significant overlap on social issues.

This is why I love Britain.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »

I didn't particularly like him (old fashioned Commie that he was), but he did a decent job for his members, so RIP and all that.

Anyway, the wave of insincere tributes from public figures/the media has been amusing.

I'm mildly baffled by this myself.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »

Looks like some serious strategising going on there. Also, Nando's is awesome.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 02:25:35 AM »

I read about that- thankfully no serious damage, yes? The building is intact, for the most part?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:01 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2014, 04:29:01 AM by Simfan34 »

Good to hear. Anyway, if Clegg resigns (why?), who might replace him?

Poll shows he might lose his seat.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »

Galloway being a bit of a c-ntweasel again.

I daresay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies