UK General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:43:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 264429 times)
Pilchard
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -4.87

P P P
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »

I could imagine Labour standing aside in seats like South Cambridgeshire

It finally looks like there might be an interesting election in S Cambs and they're moving me out into a different constituency...oh well I don't see much chance of a major upset here anyway, even if Labour do stand aside (a 2nd place finish could happen though if they do).
Pilchard
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -4.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »

Why bother with by-elections for a toothless body?  If the voters (or the parties) pick people who die in office, tough luck.  If the Lords would actually have some power then I could see the need for by-elections, but as it is, there is no need, or at least none that could not be put off until the next nationwide vote.

The draft bill and the joint committee report propose filling vacancies with substitute members until the next election (unless it's close to the next election - the committee recommends 1 year - in which case it would be left vacant). For some reason they propose filling the vacancy with the first unsuccessful candidate for the party at the previous election, which could involve going back to election results that may be more than 10 years old.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies