Centrists Assemble!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:59:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Centrists Assemble!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Centrists Assemble!  (Read 1178 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »

Afleitch, my apologies for turning your thread into a discussion on the new partisan environment. That wasn't my intention.

That's cool Smiley But thank you for taking the time to point that out that it had went off in another direction; few posters do.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »

Well if it happens, count me in.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »

I strongly encourage persons interested to consider joining the newly founded Liberal Party, which synchronizes nicely with this thread's proposal.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »

Verin will probably agree: I'd caution the Liberals about becoming too much of a big-tent party without much of a clear ideology. Those parties don't tend to last long. That can sort of work in a two-party system roughly divided between left and right like the JCP-RPP (or the Democrats and Republicans in real life), but in a multi-party system? That kind of thing doesn't have the best track record.

It'd be fun if I could divide the parties to my liking. Evil

I'd have a social democratic party, a center-left liberal party, a center-right party like Afleitch is proposing here, a social conservative party, and maybe a libertarian party as well.

I'm incredibly worried about this exact thing. I would be disappointed to see the Liberal Party basically start sucking up everyone in sight that isn't on any hard ideological edge, and for that matter, I'd be disappointed to see some behemoth centrist party return to dominance NLC-style. That wouldn't be any more fun than the current model.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »

Verin will probably agree: I'd caution the Liberals about becoming too much of a big-tent party without much of a clear ideology. Those parties don't tend to last long. That can sort of work in a two-party system roughly divided between left and right like the JCP-RPP (or the Democrats and Republicans in real life), but in a multi-party system? That kind of thing doesn't have the best track record.

It'd be fun if I could divide the parties to my liking. Evil

I'd have a social democratic party, a center-left liberal party, a center-right party like Afleitch is proposing here, a social conservative party, and maybe a libertarian party as well.

I'm incredibly worried about this exact thing. I would be disappointed to see the Liberal Party basically start sucking up everyone in sight that isn't on any hard ideological edge, and for that matter, I'd be disappointed to see some behemoth centrist party return to dominance NLC-style. That wouldn't be any more fun than the current model.

If it did happen though, it probably wouldn't last terribly long.

Obviously what set the JCP and RPP apart more than the fact that they became a duopoly is their longevity.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »

Verin will probably agree: I'd caution the Liberals about becoming too much of a big-tent party without much of a clear ideology. Those parties don't tend to last long.

Still, they're of critical importance; as a member of the original UAC, we did as much to subvert the initial two-party system as anything else in Atlasia.  And then imploded spectacularly, only to be replaced by the chaos we came to know and love Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »

Verin will probably agree: I'd caution the Liberals about becoming too much of a big-tent party without much of a clear ideology. Those parties don't tend to last long.

Still, they're of critical importance; as a member of the original UAC, we did as much to subvert the initial two-party system as anything else in Atlasia.  And then imploded spectacularly, only to be replaced by the chaos we came to know and love Smiley

maybe, but if we're already getting rid of the current duopoly... Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies