2016 Election Game - Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:42:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016 Election Game - Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Author Topic: 2016 Election Game - Game Thread  (Read 73016 times)
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
« edited: January 31, 2012, 10:20:11 PM by Reaganites for Newt »

Jeb Bush Interview with Fox News Sunday

Chris: Hello, and welcome to Fox News Sunday. Today, we're interviewing Former Governor of Florida, and current presidential candidate Jeb Bush, whose late entry in the game has upset the poll standing of some of the other contenders from the Sunshine State.

But Let's go to Governor Bush, whose streaming live from Londonderry, New Hampshire. Governor, great to have you on the program.

Jeb: Thanks, Chris. It's rather cold up here, but we're holding up.

Chris: I know how you feel, sir. I've been up there myself during the primary season.

But enough of the pleasantries, the first question I want to ask you is why did you decide to run?

Jeb: Well, Chris, I took a look at the field, and I took a look into myself. You know, we have an incredible field of candidates: any one of them would make a great president. But I noticed that few were talking about the decline in the number of opportunities for many Americans that have occured in the past seven years, and unfortunately, none of the other candidates are really making that case to the American people.

My whole term as Governor was to create opportunites for success economically, particularly when it came to education reform and school choice. You know, education also needs to be a major focal point of this campaign just like the economy or our standing in the world, because education affects both of those tremendously.

Chris: Let's answer some questions you know will be asked of during the campaign. First, your name. Your brother's approval rating has inched up in the past few years. Still, people are going to try to tie you to your brother in large part because of you last name. Do you think you have a problem there?

Jeb: First, I'm not ashamed of my name. My father and brother served to the best of their abilities, and I believe that history will look more favoribly on their presidencies. Second, I'm not worried because I don't think the American people will care about someone's family more than their performance and charecter.

Chris: Now you will be hit on the right, not so much for your last name but for your willingness to appear with President Obama. Let's put those pictures on the screen:

Chris: Laura Ingraham on her radio show,.last week, criticized you for going to the trouble of appearing to friendly with the president. Could that harm you with GOP voters?

Jeb: Perhaps. As for the first one, I agreed to appear with the President back in 2011 because we agreed on education reform. Such an issue transcends party politics, and I know voters understand that.

With the second picture, my father and I made a courtesy call back in 2012 because that was proper etiquette because of the nature of my father's position. That doesn't mean I agree with the president on most things, and it doesn't mean I was trying to warm up to the president. I was merely giving the proper respect due to his position as president.

Chris: One more thing before we let you go: what qualifies more than your other Republican rivals for the presidency?

Jeb: All of the Republican candidates are more than qualified to be president. What I have to offer is that I have been elected twice as governor of a swing state, a state that has not reelected a Republican for governor since reconstruction. I have had the most executive experience of any of the other candidates in the field, not only implementing much needed reform, but also managing a crisis during Hurricane Charlie. I am a Provence conservative in akk areas

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »

Next person who forgets to mention their candidates name in their post gets endorsed by Richard Simmons and Perez Hilton. Test me.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »

McCaskill was asked about her stance on the proposed repeal of DOMA at a stop in Waterloo.

"This is an issue where my personal beliefs may conflict with what I know is right. As a Catholic, born and raised, I personally feel that marriage is between a man and a woman. However, this is America. To force our feelings on others is not protecting the institution of marriage. It is nothing more than harming the bonds between loving couples who happen to be of the same sex. Therefore, I will vote to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act."
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »

Next person who forgets to mention their candidates name in their post gets endorsed by Richard Simmons and Perez Hilton. Test me.

I hope you're not referring to me. Smiley
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2012, 11:24:53 PM by mondale84 »

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand - Public Schedule (Sept. 28 - Oct. 4, 2015)

Monday, October 5th (Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana)

9:00 AM Meet and Greet - Pancake Pantry, Nashville, TN
11:30 AM Tour and Press Conference at Nissan Motors manufacturing plant - Smyrna, TN

...answering a reporter's question on the importance of renewable energy...

"I think this plant is a testament to the importance of American Green Energy. Take the Nissan Leaf which is produced at this plant as an example and you will see that the technology exists and is being disseminated to diversify the energy portfolio we rely on. As more of these electric cars are built, however, our nation's power grid is coming under stress because it is having difficulty meeting increased demand. We need to renew the power grid so that this innovation - with manufacturing jobs brought from Japan to America, I might ad - can continue to bear fruit."

1:00 PM Lunch and Meet and Greet - Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken, Memphis, TN
2:30 PM Rally at Overton Park - Memphis, TN
4:00 PM Rally at Bill Clinton Presidential Library - Little Rock, AR
5:00 PM Town Hall meeting on the Dream Act - University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Little Rock, AR
7:30 PM Dinner with officers of the 2D Bomb Wing US Air Force - Barksdale Air Force Base, Bossier City, LA

Tuesday, October 6th (Louisiana and Texas)

8:00 AM Breakfast and Meet and Greet - Cafe du Monde, New Orleans, LA
10:00 AM Rally in front of St. Louis Cathedral - New Orleans, LA

"Aren't you a little tired that everyone - especially the national media - is focusing on just four states? I love Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina, but let's make this a national conversation already! We are all AMERICANS and each state deserves a visit from the politicians especially if it's the great Bayou State! (crowd cheers) That's why I've come down here today and why I visited Tennessee and Arkansas yesterday and will head over to Texas this afternoon! I think that every American should have a stake in this process and should be allowed to have a say! To that end, I'm making it a point to visit a multiplicity of states so that the PEOPLE can talk to me about the issues as well!

12:00 PM Town Hall meeting at Tulane University - New Orleans, LA
2:30 PM Tour of the Exxon-Mobil refinery - Baton Rouge, LA
4:00 PM Town Hall meeting on energy diversification at Belaire High School - Baton Rouge, LA
5:00 PM TV interviews with WBRZ-TV channel 2, WAFB channel 9, WVLA channel 33, WGMB channel 44 - Louisiana State Capiton, Baton Rouge, LA
8:00 PM Rally at Trinity River Greenbelt Park - Dallas Texas

Wednesday, October 7th (Texas)

8:30 AM Fundraising Breakfast - Bread Winners restaurant, Dallas, TX
11:00 AM Town Hall meeting on the Dream Act and education reform at Southern Methodist University - University Park, TX

The Dream Act is a moral imperative. Young people - especially in Texas - that have come and are living in this country through no fault of their own, would greatly benefit from this legislation by being given the opportunity to share in the American Dream. Over 12% of the population of the Lone Star State could benefit from this Bill and we wouldn't be doling out amnesty. We would be taking the logical steps to retain the talent we cultivate in this country - at school and in the military - rather than sending it back overseas! Join me as we keep pushing for this legislation! We need a President who will make this priority #1 because it is just as much about equality of opportunity as it is about economic development!"

1:00 PM Lunch and Meet and Greet - Hillstone restaurant, Dallas, TX
3:30 PM Rally at Texas State Capitol - Austin, TX
5:00 PM Rally at Houston City Hall - Houston, TX
6:30 PM Town Hall on education reform at Wheatley High School - Houston, TX
8:30 PM Fundraising dinner with major donors - RDG Grill Room, Houston, TX

Thursday, October 8th (Washington, DC)

11:00 AM Brunch fundraiser - Bistro Bis, Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
1:00 PM Cape-and-Trade vote - US Senate Chamber, Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C. (Senator votes Aye)
3:00 PM Closed-door Senate Democratic Caucus meeting - Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
6:00 PM Fundraising dinner with D.C., Maryland, and Virginia major donors - 1789 restaurant, Washington, D.C.

Friday, October 9th (Iowa)

8:00 AM Breakfast and Meet and Greet - The Machine Shed, Davenport, IA
9:30 AM Rally at Davenport City Hall - Davenport, IA
11:00 AM Speech on "Leading Innovation" - Wapsipinicon Mill, Independence, IA

"Iowa has been always been a state that LEADS THE FUTURE! Take a look at the mill behind us - rebuilt in 1867: it was far ahead of its time! It generated electricity for nearly fifty years at a time when few other such mills existed in the country, let alone Iowa. The kind of innovation and vision that led to the construction of this mill is the same kind of innovation that I can feel ready to burst forth, if only we give it a chance. That's why we need to elect someone as president who has a vision for the future: a clear vision of what this country is built on and where it is headed. Specific proposals are great - and I have already enumerated many - but we have to make sure that these proposals fall within a specific vision for this Nation's future. I have that vision: WE MUST LEAD THE FUTURE!"

1:00 PM Town Hall meeting on renewing America's infrastructure - overlooking Lincoln Highway, Belle Plaine, IA
3:00 PM Speech on "Diversity in Origin, Unity in Destiny: Renewing America's Promise" - Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, IA
5:00 PM Town Hall meeting and potluck dinner at Howar Junior High - Centerville, IA
7:30 PM Dinner and Meet and Greet - Junction Creamery, Osceola, IA

Saturday, October 10th (Iowa)

8:00 AM Meet and Greet at What Cheer Flea Market - Fairgrounds, What Cheer, IA
10:00 AM Speech on "Renewing the American Dream" - Fairgrounds, What Cheer, IA

"Like this very flea market, we are a nation of many peoples, many origins, many futures. Yet, we have one very important aspect of our very being in common: WE ARE AMERICAN. And we are American not just in our accents, our favorite recipes, or our passports: we are Americans in spirit. Our American spirit - the spirit that has animated our parents and grandparents before us - tells us that everyone should have a chance for a better future: the possibility that we can give our children a better life than that which we inherited.

This idea we extend to the nation that makes us great. We believe in leaving for our children a better country - a more perfect Union - than that which our parents left us. To this end, I am running for President to renew the promise of America, to make sure that everyone has a chance to live out this dream - this American Dream - and that no one can truly say, in their heart of hearts, that the deck is stacked against them and that the lot they are born into will be theirs forever. Support the movement I am leading and I promise you that though the journey will be difficult and the adversities many to overcome, we will overcome them and we will emerge stronger and lead our country into the brighter days that can and must await!"

1:00 PM Town Hall meeting on renewing American manufacturing - Union Block building, Mt. Pleasant, IA
3:00 PM Meet and Greet at Farmington Senior Center - Farmington, IA
5:00 PM Rally at Davis County Courthouse - Bloomfield, IA
7:00 PM Speech on "Rebuilding American Railways" - Old Burlington Railroad Depot, Corydon, IA

Saturday, October 11th (Iowa)

9:00 Breakfast and Meet and Greet - Zeb's Smokehouse, Bedford, IA
10:30 Interview on "Face the Nation" with Bob Schieffer - via video-stream, Bedford, IA

SCHIEFFER: Senator Gillibrand, from what I've understood, you haven't really touched on the fact that you are a woman during this campaign. Why is that? And do you think it matters?

GILLIBRAND: Well, Bob, I think that I haven't really emphasized that aspect of my campaign because I don't think it really should be an issue - certainly not one that should sway someone's vote. What I do think is important - and this resonates with my message on renewing the American Dream - is that people understand that a woman can run for this office and win it. Hillary Clinton certainly came very close eight years ago and Sen. McCaskill is running a great campaign this cycle against me. I think that many barriers have been broken over the past eight years - including President Obama's and Hillary Clinton's candidacies - and I am sure that both Claire and I will break barriers during this campaign. But, I think what's more important that the issue of whether I bring up my being a woman - if you don't mind my saying it Bob - is whether people can believe that this country can make a candidacy like my own successful. My message is all about renewing America's promise as the land of possibilities so I am also eager to prove that such a campaign - a woman's - is viable.

SCHIEFFER:Let me be blunt Senator, do you think being a woman is an asset or a liability in this campaign? Do you believe there are still people out there that won't vote for you because you're a woman?

GILLIBRAND: Bob, I think that being a woman is as much an asset as being a man is when it comes to running for president. Certainly, each gender brings its own perspectives to life experiences but that is unavoidable and to perhaps think that men somehow have a better perspective when it comes to running a country is an idea that has been refuted time and again.

As to those who may not vote for me because I am a woman, I think they are wrong to do so. I think they have been proved wrong, and I frankly wouldn't want their vote anyway.

1:00 Tour of Earl May Seed Company - Shenandoah, IA
2:00 Sit-down interviews with KMA-AM and KFNF stations and "The Valley News" - aboard campaign bus, Shenandoah, IA
4:00 Rally at Cass County Courthouse - Atlantic, IA
6:30 Rally at Bayliss Park - Council Bluffs, IA
8:00 Dinner and Meet and Greet - Long John Silver's, Council Bluffs, IA

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »

So, I looked back and took over all your posts and took comprehensiveness more into account since you guys are putting a lot of effort into these. Note, this isn't whether or not I agree with you on a policy but if you do manage to throw something absurd in there, it won't help you in the polls.

In addition, Rand Paul and Amy Klobuchar are out of the race. I hoped I had missed a post by one of them, but they didn't post at all.

October 13 through 19 starts now.

National Polling:

Republicans:

Bush: 18%
Huntsman: 13%
Rubio: 12%
Sandoval: 10%
Christie: 10%
West: 9%

Democrats:

Emanuel: 20%
Gillibrand: 20%
Cuomo: 18%
O'Malley: 14%
MacCaskill: 11%

Iowa:

Republicans:

Christie: 17%
Bush: 16%
Sandoval: 16%
Ryan: 13%
West: 12%
Rubio: 10%
Huntsman: 7%

Democrats:

Gillibrand: 22%
Emanuel: 20%
MacCaskill: 17%
Cuomo: 14%
Newsom: 10%
O'Malley: 9%

New Hampshire:

Republicans:

Christie: 19%
Huntsman: 18%
Bush: 17%
Rubio: 11%
Ryan: 9%
Sandoval: 4%
West: 3%

Democrats:

Cuomo: 20%
Newsom: 14%
Emanuel: 12%
Gillibrand: 12%
O'Malley: 10%
MacCaskill: 5%

First South Carolina Poll of the Season

Republicans:

Christie: 17%
Bush: 16%
Rubio: 14%
Ryan: 12%
Sandoval: 10%
West: 9%
Huntsman: 5%

Democrats:

Cuomo: 19%
MacCaskill: 15%
Gillibrand: 13%
O'Malley: 11%
Emanuel: 6%
Newsom: 4%

That does it for polls today!

Oh wait...

Obama Approval: 46%
Unemployment: ~7% (trending down)
Inflation: 3.5% (trending up)

Additional Narrative:

Cap & Trade: The Senate passes the Cap & Trade bill with Vice President Joe Biden casting the tie-breaking vote. The House, in a miraculous slim margin, also passes a similar cap & trade bill with a handful of Republicans crossing over. The House bill passed with nearly 75 Republican amendments. President Obama says that he is hopeful that a compromise bill can be crafted but refuses to comment on the Republican amendments to the bill (some of which you can assume is costly pork barrel spending).

Justice Scalia: President Obama nominates Richard C. Tallman a federal judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit appointed by President Bill Clinton. A confirmation battle is expected.

Middle East: Iran says if India continues mobilizing then Iran will go to war. Experts that this is the closest the two countries have ever been to war and that the threat is real.

Afghanistan: The Afghan government is experiencing serious problems, even more so than usual, with corruption and tension between its military and "elected" officials. There are no more US troops in Afghanistan.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2012, 11:27:45 PM by NHI »

Chris Christie: Schedule October 13 - October 19

13: Rally in Londonderry, NH, Townhall in Salem, NH, Townhall in Concord, NH
14: Townhall in Des Moines, IA, Townhall in Davenport, IA, Appearance on Rachel Maddow Show
15: Press Conference, Townhall in Buffalo, IA, Townhall in Washington, IA
16: Townhall in Charleston, SC, Townhall in Orlando, FL, Townhall in Charlotte, FL
17: Policy Speech on Cap and Trade in Liberty, FL, Townhall in Jacksonville, FL
18: Rally in Simi Valley, CA, Major Policy speech on US Foreign Policy at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, Meet and Greet at The Reagan Library
19: Townhall in Durham, NH, Towhall in Exeter, NH, Rally in Portsmouth, NH

Excerpts from Christie's Press Conference:
Q: Governor Christie, what do you make of the recent rise of Jeb Bush in the polls?

A: I don't worry too much about it. I know you guys in the press like to spin it into different directions, but the fact is I'm going across this country and am making my case that I'd be best nominee for our party and the best president to replace the absolute failure we've had for eight years.

Q: But do you consider Governor Bush your rival?

A: If that what you guys want to call it, I prefer competitor, but it's just a preference. However, I will say now that you've got me on the subject I think it's important for our party to look at the big picture. Do we want to turn the clock back, and while he maybe qualified to be President, is it worth nominating a namesake to be our standard-bear? I think not. This is a new Republican party and for us to overwhelming defeat the Democratic machine in November we've got to be ready and able to move beyond the traditional paths that our party has taken.

Christie at the Reagan Library
"This President has allowed Iran to reach this emboldened state. If I am President of the United States my policy towards Iran will be one of clarity, of strong coalitions in the region and American prowess. We cannot sit by and watch the world change without us, this century belongs to the United States. It is time, frankly it is past time for us to lead again, and under my watch we will."
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

Posting about debates on the rules topic in a minute. Would like your feedback.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2012, 12:03:45 AM by Reaganites for Newt »

Former Governor Jeb Bush's "Americans for Opportunity" Tour, October 12-18 , 2015

Sunday, October 12, 2015

Ottumwa, Iowa

Monday, October 13, 2015

Oskaloosa, Iowa
Monroe, Iowa

Wednesday, October 14, 2015]

Des Moines, Iowa
Greenville, South Carolina

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Spartanburg, South Carolina
Jonesville, South Carolina
Chester, South Carolina

Friday, October 16, 2015

Columbia, South Carolina
Batesburg, South Carolina
Aiken, South Carolina

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Wiliston, South Carolina
Blackville, South Carolina
Denmark, South Carolina
Bamberg, South Carolina

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2012, 12:02:02 AM by spamage »

Marco Rubio 10/13-19

10/13 South Carolina
       Rally in Columbia
       Townhall in Myrtle Beach
       Speech in Myrtle Beach  
       Appears on "On the Record"

10/14 Georgia/ Florida
       Speech in Atlanta
       Rally in Miami
       Speech in Tallahassee

10/16 Iowa
       Rally in Ames
       Speech in Sioux City
       Dinner in Sioux City
       Appears on NBC Nightly News

10/17 Iowa
      Speech in Des Moines
      Meets with Local Farmers
      Releases ads in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina

10/18 Illinois/ Iowa
      Speech in Chicago
      Rally in Springfield
      Rally in Cedar Rapids

10/19 New Hampshire
      Rally in Concord
      Speech in Berlin
      Dinner in Concord

10/20 Rests

Quotes:  Rally in Tallahassee: Hello everyone, it feels good to be back in my home state. As most of you know I was born here, raised here, and first ran for office here. It is under this state I became Florida speaker and eventually a very lucky Senator. For those of you who have voted for me in the past I would like to ask for your support once again. It is because of you I am in this position and I would appreciate it. Also to those of you who have never voted for me I would like to give you the opprotunity to do so. This local support will hopefully send a strong national message propelling us to the nomination and presidency.    

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2012, 01:12:57 AM »

Ryan Campaign
14 - Appearance on the Colbert Report
15 - Speech in Miami
16 Appears on Rachel Maddow Show
17 Releases ads in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina
18 Speech in Iowa City
19 New Hampshire Dinner in Londonderry
20 Rest

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2012, 01:29:32 AM »

Jeb Bush Press Conference

Reporter 1: Governor, what di you make of your fronteunner status?

Jeb: I would not say I am the frontrunner. I may lead in national lolls, but it's still competitive in the early States. I'm going to continue to campaign aggressively, as if I were trailing.

Reporter 2: Sir, what do you make of Christie's remarks at the Reagan Library concerning you, that said that your nomination would be the best thing for the GOP moving forward because of your name?

Jeb: Look, Christie is a friend of mine, and I respect him as a person. As to what he said, he's entitled to say what he believes is best for our party and our nation. After.all, he's runnning for president.

Ultimately, it's too early. I'm more worried about the what the voters.are.feeling than any intraparty squabble. The voters will decide whether Christie, or I, or someone else will lead the Republicans to victory next year.

What I can promise you is that I will wholeheartedly support whomever our nominee is.

Reporter 3: Governor, what do you think will happen now that he Senate has passed cap-and-trade, and the House has passed a similar version with many amendments.

Jeb: I think that cap-and-trade is the wrong way to approach any environmental crises we may be experiencing. I believe that indiviguals know.how to take care of the environment than a bureaucracy or plan drawn up by the bureaucracy.

Corporations, as a way to draw in business, will work to show their customers their environmental awareness. Those corporations will go to great lengths to show the ways they work to protect and preserve the earth, if only to remain competitive for the public's patronage.

One thing we don't talk about in regards to Cap-and-Trade is that many of these businesses, especially industrial ones, will move to places such as China because of the stifling business market here.

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:52 AM »

13: Rally in Iowa City, IA.
14: Townhall in Buffalo, IA.
15-20 (will go on for the rest of October + the first half of November): "The Malleyway" tour - a 50-state tour to get votes, host rallies, meets and greets, etc. This week, we visit random locations in Maryland and New Hampshire.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2012, 02:22:46 AM »

Martin O'Malley on the Antoin Scalia death and appointment....

Reporter: So, Governor O'Malley, what do you make of the appointment?
O'Malley: If the Republicans successfully filibuster a judicial appointment, then hopefully it will show them as what they are - unrepresentative swill. We didn't filibuster any of their Supreme Court appointments.....
Reporter: Would you put a litmus test into place on Supreme Court appointments?
O'Malley: No. We need to find the best legal minds possible if we want Supreme Court appointments.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2012, 01:39:47 PM by sirnick »

IOWA DEBATE

Answer these 3 questions. Feel free to rebuke something someone else in your party (or the other party) has said.

1) The Supreme Court has made many controversial decisions in the past decade or so including Bush v. Gore and Citizens United. What rulings of this past decade or so do you disagree most with? What kind of judges would you appoint to the bench?

2) President Obama has not made any public comments about the rise of inflation in the United States. What would you do to combat inflation?

3) You get a phone call at 3am, and you find out that Iran and India have gone to war. What steps do you take? How does the United States respond?

Answer these before midnight EST Smiley
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Debate Responses

1) "I think you touch on two very important cases that have come before the court since 2000. I believe the reasoning behind the "Citizens United" case was flawed and particularly perplexing. That the court should so directly overrule two of its previous decisions - the 1990 ruling on "Austin v. Michigan Chamber of Commerce" and the 2003 ruling on "McConnell v. Federal Election Commission" - is disheartening. This ruling highlights the degree to which the campaign reforms of the McCain-Feingold bi-partisan 2002 Bill are being slowly eaten away. As a lawyer myself, I reject the arguments of the court majority that money should be considered speech and that corporate entities should be given the ability to spend unlimited sums to buy elections. I, along with most of the American public, view this decision as made in violation of the Constitution and, therefore, I am ready to declare tonight that I plan to present and support a constitutional amendment that clarifies the Founders' original intent vis-a-vis free speech. Corporations are not people and they shouldn't have the same rights of speech as people."

2)"I think inflation is a very real problem in this country, certainly when a gallon of milk that used to cost $2 now costs $2.50. These cost-of-living increases make a big difference in people's lives and make it that much more difficult for those struggling to care for their family and to live out the American Dream. How would I deal with inflation? I would make sure that the Federal Reserve is doing its job. The economy is growing, unemployment is down, but interest rates have been extraordinarily low for too long and the money supply is too great. We need to slightly raise interest rates and slow the rate at which we are printing money so that we can control inflation. This is what the Federal Reserve was originally intended to do, so let's make sure it does its job and deals with the economic situation rather than just keeping bank lending rates low so as to coddle the big banks. Some have mentioned that an audit of the Fed is in order, I agree with this if we can use it to ensure that our financial infrastructure remains responsive and pro-active."

3)"The most important thing the United States can do if this unfortunate situation were to arise is to ensure that our troops around the world are secure, out of harms way, and on full alert. Furthermore, it is imperative that - if such a situation were to unfold - that we work to secure the Straits of Hormuz so as to ensure that Iran doesn't hold 20% of the world's oil supply hostage. I would take this step in conjunction with our allies, but I will make sure that the straits are secure and open for business within 24 hours of a declaration of war or an act of aggression. Let us all remember that India is our ally and that Iran in its current form is a rogue state divorced from the family of nations and isolated. As President, I would provide my full support to the Indian government and our allies in the region to ensure they have the necessary resources to deal with the Iranian threat. I would not hesitate to take direct military action against Iran if the situation becomes such that the Joint Chiefs believe it is the best path forward."
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »

Governor Andrew Cuomo's Debate Responses

1. There's no question in my mind that the most damaging Supreme Court decision in recent years has been Kelo vs. New London. Now, I'm not an opponent of eminent domain. It's a necessary power granted to the Government by the US constitution. Sometimes it's needed to help build critical infrastructure, or to combat urban blight. But what the founders never intended it to be used for was for confiscating the property of ordinary citizens so it could be handed over to hungry corporations and used for profit! Kelo vs. New London was a gross overreach that drastically weakened property rights. And it was decided by the opposite side as those who ruled in the majority on Citizens United! These are two rulings that opened the door to corruption and abuse of power in our political system. It's time to revisit both Eminent Domain laws and McCain-Feingold to ensure that the power of unchecked money is restrained. I don't want to reverse the old principle of Corporate personhood, but if corporations are people, they should be governed by the same laws as you or me. As for my choice if I had to appoint someone to the Bench, I would be looking for a judge who had demonstrated a good grasp of the law over a long judicial career. I'd look for experience. As Attorney General and Governor, I've had the pleasure of working with some brilliant judges who ruled on cases without the slightest hint of bias. That's what we need on the Supreme Court. Brilliant legal minds, not politicians.

2. There's no question that Inflation is having a real impact on this country. I see it, when everyday, hard-working families are finding it harder and harder to make ends meet. First up, I believe that it's important for us to respond to this by making sure people have the money to feed their families. That's why as Governor, I supported bills to raise the minimum wage. Beyond that, I agree that it's time to raise the interest rates. We need to proceed with caution, of course, but the economy can handle this necessary correction. The big banks have a lot more room for error than those people living paycheck to paycheck do. That's why I intend to put them first.

3. My first priority as President would be to protect our soldiers in harm's way, of course. But after that, I would offer help to our allies. I'm not going to commit our troops to a foreign conflict without careful consideration, but I will not allow Iran to terrorize the free world. If India needs help - be it air support, or military supplies - the US government will provide it. This goes for any ally of the United States who Iran attacks. And if Iran chooses to declare war on the world at large - by closing the Strait of Hormuz, for instance - the United States will join with our allies to ensure that the world economy is not disrupted. Like every President, I would pray for peace. But the choice of peace or war is often not in our hands, but in the hands of those who would challenge our way of life.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »

Claire McCaskill's Debate Responses:

1) The Citizens United decision was among the least supportable and most radical decisions in the history of activist judicial decisions. It provides unprecedented power to donors who can drown out democracy by donating literally millions to campaigns in order to get candidates under my thumb. To combat that, our campaign is limiting how large of donations we will allow, and I reiterate my support for a constitutional amendment to provide to Congress the power to regulate campaign finance. Money is not speech! As president, my first criteria would be to appoint the best and the brightest judges, not political stooges.

2) The Federal Reserve was created to solve these sorts of issues. Inflation has a simple cause; too much money in the economy, making the dollar less valuable. Therefore, I would direct the Federal Reserve to slow down the printing of money so that inflation can be brought to a manageable level. As president, I would also look into price controls to help make necessities more affordable. However, that is treating the symptom. In order to solve this problem altogether, we need to slow down the minting of dollars.

3) As Commander-in-Chief, I would first put all American troops on high alert to make sure that our men and women overseas are safe and prepared for the worst. Though India is an ally, it is also a much larger and more powerful country, and I feel it can hold its own. Though I am willing to assist the Indian government, I would not advocate military intervention unless it was clear that American interests were at stake. I was elected in 2006 on opposition to the Iraq War, and I am naturally suspicious of military intervention unless absolutely critical. Therefore, I would not make any decision lightly.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

Allen West schedule

10/13/2015: Rally in Sioux City, Iowa. Rally in Des Moines, Iowa. Rally in Ames, Iowa.

10/14/2015: Rally in Marshalltown, Iowa. Rally in Waterloo, Iowa. Rally in Fort Dodge, Iowa. Rally in Iowa Falls, Iowa.

10/15/2015: Rally in Charleston, South Carolina. Rally in McClellanville, South Carolina. Rally in Georgetown, South Carolina. Rally in Myrtle Beach.

10/16/2015: Meet and Greet in Florence, South Carolina. Fundraiser in Charleston, South Carolina.

10/17/2015: Rally in Greenville, South Carolina. Rally in Venice, Florida.

10/18/2015: Rally in Tampa, Florida. Rally in Bradenton, Florida. Rally in Sarasota, Florida. Rally in Port Charlotte, Florida.

10/19/2015: Rally in Cape Coral, Florida. Rally in LaBelle, Florida. Rally in Clewiston, Florida. Rally in Wellington, Florida. Appearance on Greta Van Susteren.

Greta: Ok, Congressman West, you have a important announcement tonight, do you.

West: Yes, Greta, I do.

Greta: Ok, Congressman, let’s hear it!

West: Yes, I am announcing that I will not be campaigning actively in New Hampshire; it is a state I do not think I can win in. It is a Libertarian leaning state, and I am trying to combat that influence in the party, and I won’t go play in their backyard.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »

Christie Responses:

1. Certainly the ruling on the President's health care law. While the majority of the law maybe constitutional the fact that the Supreme Court allowed the mandate to stand is irrational. We have taken the Commerce Clause too far and as a result we're empowering Congress to take more unconstitutional actions in the future. It was a mistake by the Courts to let the law stand and if I'm President of the United States I will work to see it repealed. Now some people will say, hey the main parts of it have been in effect for two years and about four years for the other stuff, just let it stand. I won't because it's bad policy, it's bad politics and it will bankrupt this nation like all the other welfare states of Europe.

2. President Obama doesn't make a lot of comments on much lately, but here's how you combat inflation. First we've got all this excess money floating around out there and not enough stuff to match it. If we tie the creation of stuff to the flow of money that's a start. Then comes the part of reducing government spending, and keep that flow of money low. We've got to be able to control the flow of money, and it going to have be the responsibility of the Fed, for it was designed in a way to combat inflation.

3. Obviously, if the situation were to occur, any US involvement would done after careful and cautious consideration and if our interests were at stake. Now the first step I would take is to make sure that all our troops in and around the region are secure, and then I would put them on high alert in the event we needed to become involved. However, I feel even though India is an ally of the US this would be there matter to resolve and the only way I could see the US becoming involved is under a worst case scenario. The fact is we can be supportive without becoming directly involved.

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »

1. Citizens United was the wrong ruling. The Supreme Court justices are so far into the pocket of big businesses it's not funny. Bush v. Gore was incorrect, and it was the reason why 2000-2008 was a wasted opportunity in politics. If I was to become President, I would not enforce a litmus test, and look for the best legal minds possible. I still imagine they'll be liberals though.
2. Better job incentives. However, is inflation that important?
3. Talk to the UN about the potential for war. After that, try and enforce economic sanctions on Iran so they can back down. We don't want another equivalent of WWIII.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »

Marco Rubio Debate 1.
1. I view the supreme court's desicion on Obamacare to be the worst case in the last decade. Socialized medicine just increases the size of the government at a time it needs to be smaller and less invasive. You cannot ruin the free- market aspect of insurance it is simply hurting our nation and is making more people depend on the government fom cradle to grave. I have continued to fight against it even in the days following the ruling. Also if I were to appoint someone to the Supreme Court I would make it someone with a good sense of character and honest, true values that our nation desprately needs.

2. For me the answer is simple. Stop making so much money. It is common sense that when you keep pumping money from the government around it hurts prices. President Obama needs to adress this issue and not go around as if its business as usual. People won't have to worry about this if I am president becuase I will reduce government spending and make it more manageable by forcing it to do one of its original purposes such as managing this horrible problem.

3. When I get that call at 3 A.M. I announce the U.S. will take a hard stance against Iran. If it was best for our nation to defend our allies after consulting with generals and other military personel than I would do so or if it is decided it is too risky I would use other measures, not necessarily declaring war but providing support for India.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »

Marco Rubio Debate 1.
1. I view the supreme court's desicion on Obamacare to be the worst case in the last decade. Socialized medicine just increases the size of the government at a time it needs to be smaller and less invasive. You cannot ruin the free- market aspect of insurance it is simply hurting our nation and is making more people depend on the government fom cradle to grave. I have continued to fight against it even in the days following the ruling. Also if I were to appoint someone to the Supreme Court I would make it someone with a good sense of character and honest, true values that our nation desprately needs.

2. For me the answer is simple. Stop making so much money. It is common sense that when you keep pumping money from the government around it hurts prices. President Obama needs to adress this issue and not go around as if its business as usual. People won't have to worry about this if I am president becuase I will reduce government spending and make it more manageable by forcing it to do one of its original purposes such as managing this horrible problem.

3. When I get that call at 3 A.M. I announce the U.S. will take a hard stance against Iran. If it was best for our nation to defend our allies after consulting with generals and other military personel than I would do so or if it is decided it is too risky I would use other measures, not necessarily declaring war but providing support for India.

OOC: Its only for Democrats.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »

Marco Rubio Debate 1.

IT'S FOR EVERYONE. When I rate the answers I'll divide it separately between parties.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »

Marco Rubio Debate 1.

IT'S FOR EVERYONE. When I rate the answers I'll divide it separately between parties.
You never clarified that, no need for caps Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies