2016 Election Game - Game Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:42:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016 Election Game - Game Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 Election Game - Game Thread  (Read 73394 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »
« edited: January 27, 2012, 07:10:23 PM by Simfan34 »

September 12, 2015- Liberty Park, Salt Lake City, Utah

Good morning, everybody. Four years ago, I stood in yet another Liberty Park, on the other side of this country, to announce that I was running for President. That was an adventure I will never forget, and will not have exchanged for anything else. It allowed me to experience our American on a level I have never before, and meet its peoples and intimately understand their concerns. I ran restoring trust. I ran on putting our Country first. I stand for those same values.

I have had the honor of being elected trice by the people of Utah to serve and represent them, and I have always stood up for them. During my term as governor, Utah enjoyed the lowest unemployment rate in the nation, the fastest growing economy in the nation, and the best fiscal management in the nation. I do not take sole credit for this- it was with the work of our legislature it became possible. This, however, has not been the case in Washington.

Washington today, is the epitome of what is wrong with our government. It is unable to function in even the most minute and regular functions, as the recent failure of the bill commemorating the late Margaret Thatcher shows, not to say budgets, treaties, and new laws. Our government today, once admired around the world for its efficiency and effectiveness, is now its laughingstock. This is not the United States our founding fathers envisioned.

The Republican Party today also presents a narrow vision for our nation. What ever happened to party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and Reagan? What ever happened to limited government, fiscal responsibility, and a belief in the advancement of America? I am proud to be pro-life. I am proud to believe in the sanctity of marriage. I am proud to have passed a flatter, simpler tax code here in Utah. Yet I have dismissed by some as a "liberal". Why? Because for me, conservatism is more than simply opposing the President. It's not just about blocking his entire program and hoping he fails. As we saw, that kind of conservatism failed four years ago. For me, conservatism is about moral integrity and economic freedom. That is what I stand for- real, authentic, common-sense conservatism.

Throughout my life, I have desired nothing more than to serve the people of this great nation of ours. I have had the pleasure of doing just that : I served on President Reagan's staff. I was Ambassador to Singapore under President George Bush. I served as Deputy Trade Representative under George W. Bush. And yes, I served as Ambassador to China for the current administration. I have served the people of Utah for over seven years now as both Governor and Senator. I have no regrets. I will always put my country first, as I said four years ago, and still say now. That is what America needs- someone who puts his country first, and not personal gain or profit, political advantage or the upper hand. That is why I am running for president.

I hope you can join me in our movement to renew our party and to, more importantly, renew America. We must return both to their foundations, our we shall lose both. Let us come together to prevent that from happening. Thank you, and God bless you.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 10:25:21 PM by Simfan34 »

Averroës, Meet the Press is on Sundays.

Jon Huntsman- Schedule for the week of 9/13

Monday, September 14
8:30am
2:30pm
7:00pm
Attending a fundraiser breakfast at the Grand America Hotel, Salt Lake City, UT
Touring the Atlantic Bottling Company, Atlantic, IA
Hosting a town hall meeting at Iowa Western Community College, Council Bluffs, IA

Tuesday, September 15
11:30am
5:30pm
Touring Amend Packing Co. factory and hosting an employee roundtable, Des Moines, IA
Opening his Iowa campaign headquarters, Des Moines, IA

Wednesday, September 16
9:30am
12:00pm
3:00pm
6:30pm
Having breakfast at Big Bean restaurant, Newmarket, NH
Hosting a town hall meeting at Keene Recreation Center, Keene, NH
Hosting a town hall meeting at Lebanon Senior Center, Lebanon, NH
Attending a house party, Kingston, NH

Thursday, September 17
2:00pm
4:00pm
Hosting a town hall at Pinkerton Academy, Derry, NH
Touring and speaking at Freudenberg-NOK’s Manchester facility, Manchester, NH
Hosting a town hall at New Hampshire Technical Institute, Concord, NH

Friday, September 18
9:00am
Visiting the Balsams Resort, Dixville Notch, NH
Hosting a Meet-and-greet at at Cafe Espresso, Portsmouth, N.H.
Attending the "American Industry in the 21st Century: Challenges and Competition" roundtable discussion at Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH

Saturday, September 19
8:00am
12:00pm
Hosting a meet-and-greet at Tommy's Ham House, Greenville, SC
Hosting a meet and greet at The Beacon restaurant, Spartanburg, SC
Hosting a book signing for his book The Competitiveness Challenge at Books-a-Million, Columbia, SC
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 05:10:07 PM by Simfan34 »

On the 17th, Jon Huntsman addressed concerns about his support for cap-and-trade policies.

"Yes, I have supported cap and trade proposals in the past. We must consider that in context. Both the Reagan and Bush administrations supported cap-and-trade proposals, and President George H.W. Bush put forth the Acid Rain Program. It was in our 2008 platform. I still believe that emissions trading is a valid proposal in certain economic conditions. However, we most certainly are not meeting those conditions. The economy, after eight years, has failed to fully recover. Industrial output is stagnant.

It is exceedingly important to bring emissions into control. That's why I brought Utah into the Western Climate Initiative, and I consider it unfortunate that we're no longer part of the Imitative. However instituting cap-and-trade right now, especially with this fatally flawed plan proposed in Congress, would be akin to telling a drowning man to stop trying to get out of the water because he's hitting your nose. When he's out of the water, then you can tell him to stop waving his hands- but not before. It's the same with our economy and emissions trading.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2012, 06:22:52 PM by PRAYIN' FOR A ROMNEYCANE? »

Excepts from Senator Huntsman's comments at the American Industry in the 21st Century: Challenges and Competition roundtable.

On infrastructure:

"We are not going to have any chance to compete if we continue to have the kind of infrastructure we have today; and it's not just bridges and the like, it's on a more fundamental level, extending to things such as fiber-optic connections... the water supply, the power grid. The United States is preforming abysmally across the board in regards to infrastructure. We also see a lack of desire in both parties for the kind of investment necessary to bring our infrastructure up to par. 

The Republican Party is wary of the kinds of sustained federal investment that an 'infrastructural upgrade', if you want to call it that, would involve. And for the Democrats, who speak much of improving infrastructure, building high speed rail, and the like, infrastructure spending is largely a Keynesian method of stimulus and employment. There isn't, in either party, a desire to build infrastructure for infrastructure's sake. That is unfortunate. We've heard time and time again from business leaders that we must improve our infrastructure. Why aren't we taking action?

I think we must; simply, if we do not we have no chance. We need an National Infrastructure Reinvestment Bank, which the President has spoken much of yet we do not still have. Such a bank would allow the private sector to make investments in infrastructure, which they- and I- deeply desire. We hear of liberals complaining that the private sector is not reinvesting their profits- well, we need to give them things to invest in! We need a sustained effort, ranging from our highways to our dams, power plants, airports, border facilities, the connectivity of the electric grid, and even high-speed rail. We need to build the Tres Amigas SuperStation. Indeed, Kenya announced last week that it would build a high speed rail line from Nairobi to Mombasa, on the coast, with speeds up to 200 miles per hour. Meanwhile, Acela averages 70 miles per hour. We see jobs leaving this country, and it's not because of wages, it's because we live in a world where African countries have better infrastructure than the United States of America. "

On renewable energy:

"I support the development of renewable energies. This is yet another field we've fallen in, and rapidly. Up until 2011, we were the world's largest producer of wind energy. Now China has more than double our capacity. They've surged ahead of us in solar panel production, and yet their costs are the same as ours. Again, it's not about wages. It's about commitment. It's not even hard for us to build our renewable capacity. Where China needs to build gigantic dams in the Himalayas to double its hydroelectric output, we can double our output without building a single new dam. This was said by the Energy Secretary, Steven Chu. Yet it hasn't happened. Words don't build things.

I'm aware many in my party are opposed to renewable energy, and I'm not sure why. In any case, we need to continue investment into new technologies and the basic science that leads to innovations. It's not a foreign idea. I remember President Bush was a strong supporter of such ideas. We can lead their field once again, and we, also with traditional sources of energy, achieve energy independence."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2012, 01:53:57 PM by Simfan34 »

On Sunday the 21st, Senator Huntsman traveled to Washington D.C., where he had an interview with Fareed Zakaria. Here is an excerpt.

ZAKARIA: So four years ago, you were here on this very show, doing the same thing you are now- running for president. What's changed?

HUNTSMAN: Well, for one thing I'm Senator Huntsman now. But I'm rather proud to say not much has changed about me. I still believe that this country needs a new, coherent tax code. I still believe we need an overhaul of the defense budget. I still believe we need to achieve energy independence. Some people might change when they go to Washington. I'm not one of those people. But I have learned some things. I now, for one thing, am fully aware of the necessity of a unified industrial policy. The private sector in this country has been crying out for one- we can no longer afford to dither with half-baked measures towards promoting manufacturing in this country.

ZAKARIA: Manufacturing and an industrial policy has become a major element of your campaign, indeed you've written a book on it, The Competitiveness Challenge, which I found insightful and-

HUNTSMAN:-- like something you would write!

ZAKARIA: Well, with a bit of Tom Friedman overtones in it, but I agreed with most of your assertions. You speak a great deal about the need for proactive action on the part of the government to promote the interests of the nation as a whole. You said that:

(reading) At one time, America could be proud of its industry, and to a large degree it's government. There is still pride in what's left of industry-thank you for Harley Davidson! As for the government, well now, there's something that needs to be gutted, restructured, and made by real Americans again. America needs a government that can serve the people and advance their interests, that can help American businesses succeed and proper.

ZAKARIA: How does this align with the modern view of many, if not most, in your party, that government should be shrunk at all times, and not expand its role in society. Your view seems to be more liberal in that regard.

HUNTSMAN: I don’t see it that way. I think we’ve forgotten, to an extent, what our position was on the role of government. We, for example, hear much of Ronald Reagan’s remark at his inauguration that “government is the problem”. But we forget the context- I was there. At that time, the Carter administration had been pursuing an inflationary fiscal policy in a vain attempt to encourage growth, and so yes, that is why he said “in this present crisis, government is the problem”.  And he also said this: “It my intentions to make government work with us, not over us; to stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it.” This, Fareed, is the true conservative vision of government. It’s what many business leaders are asking for today. It’s what I’ve advocated during my term as governor and as a senator. And it’s the kind of government I hope to shape as President.

ZAKARIA: So you’re saying the government needs to play a greater role in society.

HUNTSMAN: Not a greater one, a more proactive one. A more dynamic, efficient, and productive government. A government that worked that way would almost certainly be smaller than the one we have now. It’s what Reagan supported. It’s what Goldwater, Ford, Buckley, Eisenhower supported. It’s what I support.

A question for you, Fareed. Do you consider yourself a conservative?

ZAKARIA: When I first came to the United States, when the men you mentioned were prominent and the leaders of the country, yes, I did. Today, I can’t say I identify with the conservative movement.

HUNTSMAN: Well that’s the problem. We’ve strayed from our roots. I intend to bring it back.

ZAKARIA: I wish you the best of luck in that endeavor, Senator. I think this country would benefit from seeing a conservative movement like that of years past. Thank you, Senator Huntsman.

HUNTSMAN: My pleasure, Fareed.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »

Jon Huntsman

Monday, 9/28 - Town Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire
Tuesday, 9/29  - Speech on National Service in Hanover, New Hampshire
Wednesday, 9/30 - Speech on tax plan in Manchester
Thursday, 10/1 - Town Hall in Dubuque, Iowa
Friday, 10/2 - Meet and Greet in Iowa City, Iowa
Saturday, 10/3 - Town Hall in Charleston, South Carlolina
Sunday, 10/4 - Town Hall in Tallahassee, Florida, opening of Campaign headquarters
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »

When do you want the debates by?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »

Jon Huntsman

On the campaign trail, I have spoken often about the need to fix not only our nation’s economic deficit, but also our deficit of trust and unity.

America is more divided than ever, and for our nation to move forward together with new leadership and unite, the Republican Party must first unite.

Today I am ending my campaign and supporting the candidate who is best-equipped to defeat the president and return conservative leadership to the White House: Governor Jeb Bush.

To our many supporters and volunteers, I offer my heartfelt thanks. Mary Kaye and I are equally humbled and amazed at the outpouring of support we’ve received from friends and complete strangers.

Today our campaign for the presidency ends, but our campaign to build a better and brighter America continues.

We will continue to fight for a tax code that unleashes opportunity rather than stifles it; an energy policy that ends our addiction to foreign oil; congressional term limits; education reform that prepares our kids for the 21st Century; and financial reform that protects taxpayers from future bailouts.

Over the last six months, I have seen the best of America. I’ve seen it in the spirit of our entrepreneurs, the courage of our veterans, and the unyielding optimism of our young people. I saw it in China 10,000 miles away, meeting with dissidents who had been tortured and beaten, but who drew strength from our nation's values -- our openness, our freedoms.

Half a world away, they could see America's light. That is the power our country still represents.

I will never stop fighting for America, and I will continue to put her welfare first, ahead of any partisan or special interest.

I am unshaken in my belief that with the right leadership, we can move forward together, and ensure that America’s light shines bright for generations and generations to come.

God bless you, and God bless America.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies