Is Mormonism a Religion or a Cult
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:45:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is Mormonism a Religion or a Cult
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: What say you?
Religion

Cult

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Is Mormonism a Religion or a Cult  (Read 10012 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »

I realize that there are different definitions of cult.  I want your gut feeling.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »

Both words mean the same thing to me.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

thread question makes about as much sense as "is an apple a fruit or is it red?"
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

thread question makes about as much sense as "is an apple a fruit or is it red?"

Some apples are green.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »

It is both a religion and a cult.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »

As I said, I want to gauge your gut-level reaction.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »

This.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »

False dichotomy.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »

In the modern sense of the word cult and the particulars of the behaviors we associate with cults, I would say the modern LDS is perhaps 'cult-lite'. They have a number of habits that are typical of cults, but they aren't nearly as oppressive to their members as groups like Scientology are, and you probably wouldn't be too hard pressed to find some Christian churches that have a similar level of cult behavior.

Now on the other hand, the fundamentalist Mormon groups that still practice polygamy, force male children onto the street to do so, and stay very isolated are most definitely full blown cults.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 07:17:07 AM »

In the modern sense of the word cult and the particulars of the behaviors we associate with cults, I would say the modern LDS is perhaps 'cult-lite'. They have a number of habits that are typical of cults, but they aren't nearly as oppressive to their members as groups like Scientology are, and you probably wouldn't be too hard pressed to find some Christian churches that have a similar level of cult behavior.

Now on the other hand, the fundamentalist Mormon groups that still practice polygamy, force male children onto the street to do so, and stay very isolated are most definitely full blown cults.

I believe the mainstream LDS church has nothing to do with the fundamentalist LDS like we saw in West Texas and polygamist leader Warren Jeffs.  I'm sure even Joseph Smith would be turning over in his grave knowing what Warren Jeffs has done with the church he founded.

greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »

ok, but just understand I don't do "gut-level reaction" to such things, rather I compare to scripture in order to make an objective decision.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »

Its intensely secretive nature and its demand that all adherents give the church 10% of their income are the most cult-like aspects of Mormonism
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:48 PM »

Its intensely secretive nature and its demand that all adherents give the church 10% of their income are the most cult-like aspects of Mormonism
All the Mainline Protestant churches I've visited in the past have urged their members to tithe 10% of their income every year. Is Christianity a cult as well?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »

Tithing is a normal thing. I am guessing the question is whether or not Mormonism is something that you would be comfortable associating with.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »

I have no problem being associated with Mormonism. I have Mormons in my family, and I have Mormon friends. They're just like anybody else, from any other religion you can think of. They drink tea, coffee, even alcohol. No reason to fret because their church is one of very, very many which say you should tithe 10% of your income.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »

A "religion". The only significant difference between a "cult" and a "religion" is that a "religion" is bigger. Mormonism is popular enough to count as a "religion".

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=147888.0
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »

First, when Christians, particularly evangelicals as myself, refer to a sect as a cult, they do not mean a cult in the way David Koresh or Jim Jones' groups were cults. In the evangelical lexicon, a "cult" is a religion that have the trappings of Christianity, but differ greatly in essential doctrine from traditional Christian beliefs (Divinity of Jesus, Trinity, nature of God,.etc.) One example of a cult would be JW's, who deny that Jesus was God but Michael, etc.

Mormons embrace many beliefs that run contradictory to the Bible as well as traditional Christianity.
  • That God is not Three-in-One but three seperate gods
  • That men can become gods, and enjoy physical pleasure with their spouses in the afterlife
  • That the Canon (I.e., Holy Scriptures) is not closed as is stated in the last chapter of Revelation
  • That Christ came to North America after being in Israel, when the Bible States.Christ has yet to return
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 02:18:56 AM »

First, when Christians, particularly evangelicals as myself, refer to a sect as a cult, they do not mean a cult in the way David Koresh or Jim Jones' groups were cults. In the evangelical lexicon, a "cult" is a religion that have the trappings of Christianity, but differ greatly in essential doctrine from traditional Christian beliefs (Divinity of Jesus, Trinity, nature of God,.etc.) One example of a cult would be JW's, who deny that Jesus was God but Michael, etc.

This stupid re-definition of words is probably part of the reason so many people have issues with evangelicals, another example being how they often used the word "Christian" to simply mean "evangelical", I've noticed this is common amongst evangelicals even if they don't claim that Catholics and mainline Protestants aren't Christians and may even deny that they think that, but then say things that in context seems to imply that only evangelicals are Christians.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 05:46:26 AM »

ok, but just understand I don't do "gut-level reaction" to such things, rather I compare to scripture in order to make an objective decision.

have you read the Book of Mormon?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2012, 11:48:47 AM by consigliere jmfcst »

have you read the Book of Mormon?

no, at least not all of it, but I am familiar with a good portion of their doctrine through my extensive study of Armstrongism.  They have MANY damnable heresies: God was not always God, but was once a created man who went on to become God...Jesus and Satan were once brothers...earthly man can become god after death...no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith...LDS racist doctrinal past...salvation of those who died lost...etc, etc, etc

I am not even sure if the book of Mormon touches upon those things.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:32 PM »

the LDS Church instructs us to read the entirety of the Book of Mormon, and then pray to our Heavenly Father and ask him if it is true.  I am embarking on this journey now.  I am about 2% of the way through the Book.  I ask you to join me before summarily rejecting the Holy Text.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »

you're Mormon?!  When did this happen?  I thought you were atheist?

---

the LDS Church instructs us to read the entirety of the Book of Mormon, and then pray to our Heavenly Father and ask him if it is true.

what?  Is that how the bible tells you to determine truth – just simply pray about it?  If all truth is simply determined through prayer, then what is the role of scripture?

---

I am embarking on this journey now.  I am about 2% of the way through the Book.  I ask you to join me before summarily rejecting the Holy Text.

are you telling me I can't put Mormon doctrine (which may not even be mentioned in the Book of Mormon) to the test without first reading the Book of Mormon?  Can’t I simply take the Mormon statement of beliefs for face value?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »

you're Mormon?!  When did this happen?  I thought you were atheist?

No, he had missionaries visit him and give him the book. (seemingly more out of curiosity that actual interest)

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=147413.0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

what?  Is that how the bible tells you to determine truth – just simply pray about it? If all truth is simply determined through prayer, then what is the role of scripture?[/quote]

I think the specifics of the doctrine is something like that you read the scriptures to get the specific knowledge, and then when you pray to God he somehow shows you that what you just read is true. From my outsider perspective it doesn't seem to be much different from how you describe your experience - you were studying the Bible at the time and then you felt that bonefire thing or what have you, which you say was the Holy Spirit filling you. (or something along those lines)

Also, just an FYI, it isn't uncommon for Christians of varying stripes to tell unbelievers that we just need to pray real hard and God will reveal himself to us. (failure is of course usually blamed on the person doing the praying) It's not exactly an idea that's exclusive to Mormons.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

are you telling me I can't put Mormon doctrine (which may not even be mentioned in the Book of Mormon) to the test without first reading the Book of Mormon?  Can’t I simply take the Mormon statement of beliefs for face value?[/quote]

Do you think someone could really test Christian doctrine without first reading the Bible, and only taking the statement of beliefs for their face value?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies