Will the Mormon Tabernacle Choir be singing at Mitt's inauguration?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:42:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will the Mormon Tabernacle Choir be singing at Mitt's inauguration?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will the Mormon Tabernacle Choir be singing at Mitt's inauguration?  (Read 6399 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »

What are you talking about? That's a very well-done Messiah.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »

Black churches have awesome taste in music. Agreed on white fundamentalists.

I'm thinking of rap/hip-hop mostly. The first bunch of course is because that's almost all hardcore kids are.

Blacks are awesome at preaching though. We had a guest speaker for the sermon today who is this black guy who periodically gives sermons and as usual he was awesome. Catholic priests and "high church" preachers could learn a lot from black preachers.high church
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »

What are you talking about? That's a very well-done Messiah.

Can't stand it. If I want to listen to some complex composition like that I listen to post-rock.

On a side note, I had a short little baptism informational meeting with one of my church's associate pastors this morning as well, and he knew exactly what the venue I was at the night before was and had been there before and was familiar with the type of dancing that goes on when I compared to it to the charismatic worship stuff we do. I wonder how many pastors that applies to.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »

Okay, but the music that's actually in black churches tends to be really, really good.

I have some fairly charismatic (in the personality sense, not the religious style sense) priests at my church by High Church standards, but they could definitely stand to mix it up a bit on occasion.

I also happen to really like Baroque music, so we'll have to amicably disagree on that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »

The best sermons given by white people tend to be in the style of a college lecture. A few can pull off the "hardcore frontman" or "late night talk show host" type styles well, but not everyone and I know it won't appeal to everyone. Whenever the guy I mentioned above gives sermons he talks in the same style like he's the frontman of a band talking in between songs while the guitarist is retuning about whatever their pet issue is, and I got a chuckle thinking of how my grandmother would react to going to the church with something like that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »

I also happen to really like Baroque music, so we'll have to amicably disagree on that.

I actually have quite a bit of Mormon Tabernacle Choir renditions of Bach and Handel, though I do think their Messiah is a bit too...busy, and not particularly Handelian.

Also, they have this annoying habit of rewriting religious music that doesn't really fit with Mormonism.  Most stuff about Mary gets its theme changed (outside of Christmas music)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:54 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 01:10:51 AM by Enough to Stop a Heart »

There are religious songs specifically about Mary? I just realized I'm not too familiar with many that go much beyond "Oh yeah God rules, Jesus is awesome!"
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 01:37:20 AM »

There are religious songs specifically about Mary? I just realized I'm not too familiar with many that go much beyond "Oh yeah God rules, Jesus is awesome!"

I take it you've never heard of "Ave Maria"?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 01:56:09 AM »

Which the Mormon Tabernacle Choir turns into "Heavenly Father."  Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 02:03:09 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 02:05:08 AM by Enough to Stop a Heart »

Oh yeah I guess I have. But never heard it, it's not like they play it at any church I go to.

*listens* Blech. Especially the opera-like vocals! The only vocal style more intolerable than that is death and black metal.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 02:06:52 AM »

Oh yeah I guess I have. But never heard it, it's not like they play it at any church I go to.

*listens* Blech. Especially the opera-like vocals! The only vocal style more intolerable than that is death and black metal.

De gustibus non est disputandum
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »

For the record I think my biggest issue with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rendition I posted earlier and their music in general is you can't dance to it, which makes it really just no fun.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 04:56:00 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 05:00:20 AM by socaldem »

The Mormon Tabernacle choir is quite good...

Catholic liturgical music, too, can be well done, because of the rich musical heritage, especially when it incorporates the European classics.  I always liked the parts of the mass and Haagen, Haas, Hurd.  The seasonal musical variations can also be great--for instance I always enjoyed the sombre, meditative songs and chants during Lent/Holy Week.  I don't like the more hippy dippy hymns, though...and Catholic congregations tend not to sing, so the experience at individual churches vary, but when done well, catholic choirs are awesome.

I would say the worst religious music is the "empty" evangelical stuff which is just too happy-go-lucky and doesn't have any emotional depth.  Mainline protestants like Lutherans, etc., can be a little bleh with their musical selections, too.  The religions are just too feel-good and the believers in those churches are generally well off and don't have enough personal struggles for their music to be as expressive as in other traditions.

But HANDS DOWN, the best spiritual music in the United States is black church music.  Gospel music can be virtuosic, fun, dancable, joyous, raucous, and emotionally wrenching and uplifting...  This is obvious to anyone who knows anything about music history and how much of contemporary music has its roots in southern--and in particular black southern spiritual music traditions...

BRTD mystifies:

Black churches have awesome taste in music. Agreed on white fundamentalists.

I'm thinking of rap/hip-hop mostly. The first bunch of course is because that's almost all hardcore kids are.

Blacks are awesome at preaching though. We had a guest speaker for the sermon today who is this black guy who periodically gives sermons and as usual he was awesome. Catholic priests and "high church" preachers could learn a lot from black preachers.high church

BRTD,  this post is so hopelessly ignorant.  You really need to experience the world out of the lilly confines of Minnesota.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 06:52:46 AM »

You mean, "that sh!t is hardcore".
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »

I can say this of Presbyterian churches -- their austerity even extends to music... at most a piano.

Catholics at the least have the superb repertory of masses, Requiem masses, Vespers, and Te Deums. After all, Palestrina, Monteverdi, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, and Verdi were all Catholics. Lutherans have J S Bach and G F Handel, although Catholics seem to have tried to adopt Bach and Handel as theirs. (Grieg, Sibelius, and Nielsen wrote no liturgical music, and they would have been very good at it). 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies