Will the Mormon Tabernacle Choir be singing at Mitt's inauguration? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:21:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will the Mormon Tabernacle Choir be singing at Mitt's inauguration? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the Mormon Tabernacle Choir be singing at Mitt's inauguration?  (Read 6455 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: January 29, 2012, 02:57:23 AM »

Why aren't there any Mormon hardcore bands?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »

So you think Mormons are more likely to have "good" taste in music than atheists or Christians?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 12:00:50 AM by Enough to Stop a Heart »

The religious groups with the best musical taste are "spiritual but not religious", atheist/agnostic and unaffiliated Christians.

The groups with the worst taste are fundies, Mormons and black churches. Non-purely nominal Catholics are pretty bad too, as are Satanists (jokingly or not), or anything pagan-esque, as these tend to like metal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »

I put in Mormon Tabernacle Choir into YouTube and this is the first video I got: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BWhvIlFVE

Bleh. Ugh.

Anti-Mormon hardcore > Mormon Tabernacle Choir
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »

Black churches have awesome taste in music. Agreed on white fundamentalists.

I'm thinking of rap/hip-hop mostly. The first bunch of course is because that's almost all hardcore kids are.

Blacks are awesome at preaching though. We had a guest speaker for the sermon today who is this black guy who periodically gives sermons and as usual he was awesome. Catholic priests and "high church" preachers could learn a lot from black preachers.high church
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »

What are you talking about? That's a very well-done Messiah.

Can't stand it. If I want to listen to some complex composition like that I listen to post-rock.

On a side note, I had a short little baptism informational meeting with one of my church's associate pastors this morning as well, and he knew exactly what the venue I was at the night before was and had been there before and was familiar with the type of dancing that goes on when I compared to it to the charismatic worship stuff we do. I wonder how many pastors that applies to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »

The best sermons given by white people tend to be in the style of a college lecture. A few can pull off the "hardcore frontman" or "late night talk show host" type styles well, but not everyone and I know it won't appeal to everyone. Whenever the guy I mentioned above gives sermons he talks in the same style like he's the frontman of a band talking in between songs while the guitarist is retuning about whatever their pet issue is, and I got a chuckle thinking of how my grandmother would react to going to the church with something like that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:54 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 01:10:51 AM by Enough to Stop a Heart »

There are religious songs specifically about Mary? I just realized I'm not too familiar with many that go much beyond "Oh yeah God rules, Jesus is awesome!"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 02:03:09 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 02:05:08 AM by Enough to Stop a Heart »

There are religious songs specifically about Mary? I just realized I'm not too familiar with many that go much beyond "Oh yeah God rules, Jesus is awesome!"

I take it you've never heard of "Ave Maria"?

Oh yeah I guess I have. But never heard it, it's not like they play it at any church I go to.

*listens* Blech. Especially the opera-like vocals! The only vocal style more intolerable than that is death and black metal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »

For the record I think my biggest issue with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rendition I posted earlier and their music in general is you can't dance to it, which makes it really just no fun.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies