Univision/ABC News: Another poll has Obama ahead among Hispanics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:06:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Univision/ABC News: Another poll has Obama ahead among Hispanics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Univision/ABC News: Another poll has Obama ahead among Hispanics  (Read 1541 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »

Nationally (2008: 67-31 Obama):

67% Obama
25% Romney

70% Obama
22% Gingrich

63 percent of Latinos nationally say they approve of the job Obama is doing, with 29 percent saying they strongly support his performance in office. 31 percent disapprove.

In addition, 72 percent say they have a favorable impression of the president, while a large chunk of Latino voters do not feel the same way about the Republican candidates — 42 percent say they have an unfavorable view of Gingrich and 41 percent say they have an unfavorable view of Romney.

In Florida only (2008: 57-42 Obama):

50% Obama
40% Romney

52% Obama
38% Gingrich

Another indication of the unique make-up of Florida’s Hispanic community is the fact that Cubans in the state side with Romney over Obama 54 percent to 34 percent, while Puerto Ricans back Obama 67 percent to 23 percent. Others favor Obama over Romney 52 percent to 36 percent.

In the Sunshine State, where about one in 10 likely Republican primary voters are Latino, Mitt Romney has a large, 26-point lead over his closest rival Newt Gingrich, 49 percent to 23 percent among Latino Republicans.

Among all Florida Latinos, the margin is 35 to 20 in favor of Romney, with 21 percent undecided.

The Univision News/ABC News survey was conducted in English and Spanish by Latino Decisions from Jan. 16-23, 2011. The results are based on a sample of 500 Latino registered voters nationally and 517 Latino registered voters in Florida. Each sample has a margin of error of 4.4 percentage points.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/obama-leads-by-wide-margins-among-latinos-but-florida-in-play-for-gop
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »

Not bad because Bush won FL Hispanics by 56-44 in 2004 ...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »

There is literally no realistic way the Republicans can win the general election if they are under 30% with Hispanics.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »

In view of these states I can see an effective trade of Florida for Arizona... still a losing proposition for any GOP nominee.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »

If Romney is at 25 percent nationwide after getting 40 in Florida, he might in or near single digits in the Southwest. That blocks him from any realistic chance of winning Nevada or New Mexico and gives Obama opportunity in Arizona, Colorado, and Texas.

The looming Mexican Romneys issue could also rear its head.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

Rubio
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »

Cause Ferraro and Palin did wonders for the female vote. It just doesn't work that way. It did back in 1960 for JFK and Catholics. Times have changed.
Plus, Rubio is Cuban, and the GOP is going to win the Cuban vote anyway. Doesn't make much of a connection for the Mexicans and Central Americans who are the bulk of Hispanic voters throughout the country.
The GOP had 2 options a decade ago when the Hispanic explosion became blindingly obvious. They could either become pro-immigration reform or resign themselves to permanent minority status, but become like Enron executives and take all the money on the way out. They chose the second option.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »

That will help w/ Cubans in Florida, sure. How about doing smthg about all those Mexicans?
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:35:32 PM »

Claro que si! El president es el mejor por su gente latina.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 03:16:48 AM by MagneticFree »

I think it would make sense to sell off the southwest US and California to Mexico, pay off some of the debt. Also, might have a more competitive general election that way.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:20:50 AM »

If by 'competitive' you mean 'blatantly bent towards the side that you are supporting', then sure.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 03:21:44 AM »

I think it would make sense to sell off the southwest US and California to Mexico, pay off some of the debt. Also, might have a more competitive general election that way.

What's the price of this region ? Can Mexico even afford to buy it ? I doubt Mexico could even buy Arizona, not to mention Texas or California ... Wink

I also incl. OK, because I think many Americans would be happy if they could sell Oklahoma to Mexico.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »

¡Que viva el presidente! ¡El Pueblo Latino le da apoyo a su re-elección!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »

What's the price of this region ? Can Mexico even afford to buy it ? I doubt Mexico could even buy Arizona, not to mention Texas or California ... Wink

I think we should just opt for New Mexico - it shouldn't be too expensive and would not involve to many majority-Anglo areas that might protest Smiley))
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »

If the GOP is under 30% with Hispanics the GOP can say bye to New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado and maybe even Arizona will be in play.  Democrats at 70%+ would also likely pull Texas to a single digit loss
Reginald
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »

These numbers probably reflect the poor Republican candidates more than any sort of significant Hispanic trend to the Democrats, correct? But it'll be interesting to see when (if?) the Republicans start trying to appeal en masse to Hispanics, and what exactly that appeal entails. I mean, if they're ever pulling numbers like these twenty years from now, they're screwed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 01:32:17 AM »

Good to see that Newt's efforts at winning Hispanics over, did so well. Roll Eyes
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »

These numbers probably reflect the poor Republican candidates more than any sort of significant Hispanic trend to the Democrats, correct? But it'll be interesting to see when (if?) the Republicans start trying to appeal en masse to Hispanics, and what exactly that appeal entails. I mean, if they're ever pulling numbers like these twenty years from now, they're screwed.

That is how I see it.  The GOP with their negative attitude is undoubtedly causing these numbers
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »

Republicans are not going to win the bulk of Hispanic voters with "trickle-down" economics or with anti-education stances.  If anything that is one way in which to lose. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies