How long until a candidate's religious views... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:58:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How long until a candidate's religious views... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How long until a candidate's religious views...  (Read 1248 times)
Jacobtm

« on: January 30, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
« edited: January 30, 2012, 09:16:36 PM by Bacon King, VP »

How long until a candidate's religious views can be attacked, no matter how mainline he is?

It's inspiring seeing America, where normally only hatred for Atheism and Islam is permitted in mainstream political discourse, truly digging into a lilly-white man's religion, even one as home-grown as Mormonism.

It's truly great seeing the idiocy of believing in some crazy stories told by some nut thrust into the open. The strange rituals and unfathomable beliefs laid bare for all to mock really heartens me. I never thought I'd hear it, but people are finally saying it out in the open:

Who made this stuff up? They really believe this?

I look forward to the day that Evangelicals, Baptists, and every other religious person can look forward to the same ridicule over their crazy baseless superstitions.
Jacobtm

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 09:06:15 PM by Jacobtm »

Those who complain about about muslims and atheists being hated on in the political discourse ( I am with you here), you will be no better than the haters if you start holding a christian candidate's religion against them  

You misunderstand.

I think religious belief of any sort is nothing but silly superstitions. Old stories told so many times that unthinking people believe in them. Nonsense.

I don't hate religious people. I do think they're all either nuts or unthinking.

I don't think Mormonism or Christianity or Islam or Hinduism or any religion is particularly more or less terrible than any other. They're all just crazy made-up stories.

And amazingly, some people are starting to catch onto this in our public discourse, which treats the ridiculousness of religion with kid gloves so as not to offend the masses.

It's encouraging.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 09:23:39 PM by Jacobtm »

If a candidate came out declaring that all women are inferior to men

This is in the first pages of The Holy Bible:

Genesis 3:16

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply the sorry and the conception; in sorry thou shalt bring forth children ; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee

Anyone claiming women ought to be ruled over by men is simply preaching The Word.
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »

Hatred, intolerance, and bigotry have no place in the America of 2012. 

You're one of those ''ironic Republicans'' aren't you?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies